The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old June 8, 2011, 03:19 PM   #1
InTheCountry

Magazine wont feed

I have got 2 aftermarket magazines for a mini 30. One is a 20 round and one is a 30 neither made by Ruger. They will not feed correctly if at all. The two hook like shapes that hold the bullet down are to low and the bolt catches them and that is what stops the procedure. 1) Should I trash them, and buy factory? 2) Is there a way of fixing it so they will feed correctly?
Old June 8, 2011, 07:49 PM   #2
GURU1911

Magazine question

Ship those mags back to who ever you purchased them from with a letter of explaining what the problem is & request 2 new replacement mags. If those do not work, send them back asap & request a refund or credit to your charge card.

Guru1911

"THERE AIN'T TOO MANY THINGS THAT YOU CAN'T FIX, WITH $500 DOLLARS OR A .30-06"
Old June 8, 2011, 10:40 PM   #3
InTheCountry

Do you think they will do it if I purchased them at a gun show.
Old June 9, 2011, 09:33 AM   #4
GURU1911

Magazine question

If you purchased name-brand products at a gs, i would ship them to the manufacturer & explain what is happening:

1. Contact the man, through customer service / warranty dept.
2. Explain what the problem is. They will either immediately ship new replacements & ask you to send them the defective ones.
3. If you get replacement mags, send a letter of thanks to the man.

Give it a go & report back to the forum what your experience was.

Guru1911

Old June 9, 2011, 09:08 PM   #5
InTheCountry

E-mail sent. Will report back when further steps have been taken.
Old June 10, 2011, 07:43 PM   #6
InTheCountry

They said they will replace or repair it.
Old June 10, 2011, 10:25 PM   #7
GURU1911

MR. COUNTRY:

Congrats on posting the good news. Sounds as if your magazine problems are fading fast. Please report back to the forum with the name of the mags & your experience with the manufacturer.

Glad i was able to answer your question & assist to remedy your problem.

Guru1911

Old July 14, 2011, 03:51 PM   #8
InTheCountry

So I finally got around to shipping it. The return was fast but unfortunatly unsuccessful. All they did to best of my knowledge was replace the spring and the platform of the magazine. Maybe bend something here and tweak something there but the problem has not been fixed. On my factroy magazine the back of the bullet sits farther down, on the after markets the back end of the bullet sits a little bit to high up, causing the feature that holds the bolt open to not me able to fall down far enough and the bolt wont close. Not sure what to do now
Old July 14, 2011, 04:48 PM   #9
GURU1911

Magazine question

Ok, now is the time to ramp-up your efforts to get things corrected, by moving up the corp ladder to a customer service manager, who can take direct action & ship you brand new factory magazines.

Keep complaining, but don't yell or threaten. Be firm & remind them of how much you like their rifle & would really enjoy shooting it, if only the magazine would work !!!!!

Guru1911

Old July 14, 2011, 05:56 PM   #10
chack

mini 14s are notorious for being unreliable with aftermarket mags. I suggest you take a hard look at what your time is worth and how uch of your time you've wasted with crappy mags.

Your only real options are to buy factory mags (2-3 times the price of aftermarket) or buy a rifle that takes cheap USGI mags.

You can probably sell the crappy mini mags to some other sucker cheap to get some of your money back.
Old July 14, 2011, 06:39 PM   #11
orionengnr

horrible advice

Quote:
You can probably sell the crappy mini mags to some other sucker cheap to get some of your money back.
My integrity is worth more than a few bucks. I have bought a lot of guns (and other things) in my life. Not all were as represented. I worked to try to correct the problem and if unable, fully disclosed the problem(s) to any potential seller.

For example, I bought four Kel-Tecs and each one's operation was flawed--some worse than others. I spent a lot of time F&Bing, lots of time on the K-T fora and time on the phone with K-T, time replacing springs and parts (free from K-T), money on ammo and mags.

In the end, none were reliable enough to carry. I sold each, at a loss, with full disclosure.

I have other examples, but you get the idea. Just because some dirtbag screwed you does not give you license to screw someone else...unless you are a dirtbag too.

Bottom line--I hope the manufacturer refunds your money. If not, do your homework in the future. Aftermarket Mini mags have had a bad rep for a long time, and with good reason. A few work, most don't.
Old July 15, 2011, 03:48 PM   #12
InTheCountry

Im going to send them another email saying that the problem has not been fixed. I think im going to ask for my money back. Wonder how thats going to go. Maybe some store credit.