The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old March 4, 2011, 11:03 PM   #1
EdInk

Checkering Grips

I was wondering if anyone had any experience checkering their own grips?

Is it difficult and what tools would you need to do it properly?

My woodworking skills are shall we say "limited" but if it's not "too much" more than file work, I think it would be something I can handle.

FWIW the grips I want to checker will be a pair of the Ruger Redhawk factory rosewood grips.

Also, what kind of sealant would I need to apply afterward?
Old March 5, 2011, 12:56 AM   #2
T. O'Heir

No talent for that myself. Actually I don't have the patience for it. It's not rocket science though.
Don't even think about learning on your Redhawk grips. Get a few hunks of hardwood to learn on. A beat up milsurp or .22 rifle stock will do nicely, but any smooth finished hard wood will do.
Brownell's sells checkering tools. A Leader set runs $54.99. Options are the number of lines per inch. 16, 18, 20, 24 and 28. Preference feel thing. They sell how-to books as well. I'd be inclined to wait for this one at $6.99. Fundamental Gunstock Checkering. $35 plus is a bit pricey.
"...what kind of sealant..." Should be covered in the books, but any wood oil/sealant should do.
Old March 5, 2011, 01:31 AM   #3
Gunplummer

T. O'Heir has it about right, play around with scrap wood first. Don't get heavy handed with the tool because it is not a one cut and done kind of thing. Very light cuts at first, it does take patience. I don't do much any more because my hands and eyes get tired easily. I used Danish oil and had good luck with it. Practice with your finish first on scrap pieces because some finishes will ruin a job as quickly as a slip of the tool.
Old March 5, 2011, 08:51 AM   #4
EdInk

I was going to buy an extra set because I want to keep the original pair. However, it sounds like it is going to cost me about $75-100 just to get the tools and a DIY book. That doesn't even include the price of the grips or practice material. I think for that price it would be better to just pay someone to do it right the first time.