The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old May 15, 2010, 10:31 PM   #1
SVO

GunBroker FFL Question.

I just won my first auction on GunBroker. Long story short, GunBroker states on their website that a FFL, signed in red or blue ink is required to complete a transaction. My FFL holder emailed a PDF copy of his FFL to the seller. My question is a emailed PDF copy going to be acceptabled? FFL holder says yes, haven't heard from seller yet. Just wanting to know where I stand here, as I don't want to get jammed up trying to complete the transaction. I have never used this FFL holder before, found him thru GunBroker.
Old May 15, 2010, 11:59 PM   #2
dogtown tom

GunBroker's FFL "advice" leaves a lot to be desired.

1.There is no ATF requirement that an FFL be signed in any particular color of ink.
2. FFL's may be faxed, scanned, emailed...and it says so right on the front of the license. Only dinosaurs still use fax machines- email doesn't cost me a LD call or tie up a phone line. And a scanned copy of my license that I email to a seller is identical to the original. Faxed FFL's are often fuzzy or such bad copies that they are unreadable.
3. There is no ATF requirement that a "nonlicensee" get a copy of the license at all. Only FFL's are required to have a copy of the license before shipping the firearm. All a "nonlicensee" is required to do is ship to an FFL- to verify this all you need is the FFL license number and visit https://www.atfonline.gov/fflezcheck/

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 16, 2010, 01:33 AM   #3
johnwilliamson062

I thought ATF had not officially Ok'd e-mailed copies, but that they were being used as they had also not prohibited them and they are usually not discrnible from other copies.
I don't really know and the previous answer is probably correct, but I thought I would bring it up and see if someone had more info.
Old May 16, 2010, 02:37 AM   #4
SVO

Dogtown Tom - Thanks for the reply. I should be in good shape then. I just need to get a cashier's check into the mail Monday. Again, this is auction is a first for me and I tend to sweat the small details.

JW062 - yea, I didn't know either. But I can see where GunBroker could get to be habit forming.

Thanks again,

Bob
Old May 16, 2010, 03:11 AM   #5
dogtown tom

Quote:
johnwilliamson062 I thought ATF had not officially Ok'd e-mailed copies, but that they were being used as they had also not prohibited them and they are usually not discrnible from other copies.
I don't really know and the previous answer is probably correct, but I thought I would bring it up and see if someone had more info.
As I posted above, it's printed right on the license itself that "...faxed, scanned or emailed copies.." are okay. If ATF had not officially approved such I doubt they would print it right there on my license.

When in doubt you can always look through the ATF site:http://www.atf.gov/publications/news...er-2007-01.pdf It's right there on page one.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old May 16, 2010, 06:59 AM   #6
blume357

I think they or we may be looking at it backwards...

My FFl when receiving a gun from an individual from out of state requires a copy of their driver's license and then a signature in either Red or blue ink.

Like the folks above I can't see how a copy of either FFL's needs a colored signature since the BAFTE clearly states the thing can be faxed. (which is pretty much 'black and white'.
Old May 16, 2010, 07:37 PM   #7
Lee Davis

relax!

My advice is to relax! I have 35 or 40 gun transactions on Gunbroker (small time, to be sure), and have never had the slightest problem. If you follow the procedure, you cannot fail. Why the worry? Lee Davis
Old May 17, 2010, 07:34 AM   #8
natman

There used to be a requirement for a copy signed in blue or red ink.

No longer. Faxed or emailed copies are OK now.
Old May 18, 2010, 03:45 PM   #9
EOD Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by natman
There used to be a requirement for a copy signed in blue or red ink.
There never was such a requirement, just individual preferences.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:36 PM   #10
natman

Quote:
There never was such a requirement, just individual preferences.
I recall it as a requirement, but it's hard enough to figure out what ATF policies are, I'm not going to try to look up what ATF regulations used to be.

I'll meet you halfway and say that it used to be required to have an "original copy" of the FFL and common practice was to sign in blue or red ink to show it was an original instead of a copy.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:46 PM   #11
bob.a

Sadly, the ATF Online verification does not include C&R licenses. Anyone have a clue how to satisfy a seller that my C&R is OK to ship to? (Sure I'll send a copy, but it sometimes tends to confuse the issue anyway).

Thanks.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:54 PM   #12
dogtown tom

Quote:
bob.a:...Anyone have a clue how to satisfy a seller that my C&R is OK to ship to?
All a seller needs to do is call the ATF Licensing Center, who will be happy to verify the authenticity of the license.

Old May 19, 2010, 11:05 PM   #13
bob.a

Just went to the ATF website. Toll-free number for the Federal Firearms Licensing Center is 866-662-2750.

Thanks for the info.