The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 27, 2010, 10:40 PM   #1
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Burnt out Frankford Paved the Way for the Biggie...

My Frankford Tumbler took a nose dive. It will only run for a minute before the motor shuts down and smells like Fido's patoot. It's toast. Good thing my CFO was waiting for the day for it to happen. Was given the go-ahead to buy that monster Dillon 2001. Boy, this thing ENGULFS my old one. The only gripe I have is I need to buy more media. It holds quite a bit more than I imagined. If that's the biggest concern, then I think I'll be fine.

One other major difference is it runs much smoother/quieter. Take note, though, the price difference between the two is on opposite spectrums.

Looks like I'm going to be posting my extra bowls & old tumbler for parts cannibalization purposes in the Gun Show soon...

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old April 28, 2010, 06:50 AM   #2
Coffeeshop123

Ain't it great? And it's nice when you get the go-ahead to buy yourself a gift. I lived in Scottsdale, AZ until the mid-90's, and was about a mile and a half from the Dillon factory/warehouse. At the time (haven't been there since) you could go in, browse around their little showroom and they did a brisk retail business; it was easy to spend a LOT of cash there.
Old May 14, 2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I found a setback to the Dillon. I used to be able to remove the bowl or merely pick up the whole tumbler to dump the cases in the rotary sifter. Now, I'm having to scoop out the stuff with a measuring cup until there's little enough left that when I do dump it, the cases/media don't go overboard the sifter.

I guess I need to find a bigger sifter.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old May 19, 2010, 12:57 AM   #4
Wrangler5

I've been using the Dillon (small) case/media separator for years with outstanding results. It is more than sufficient to take the contents of my Frankford (and before that, Lyman) tumbler. For your monster tumbler you'd need the larger Dillon separator, which according to their catalog is designed to take the whole load of the large tumbler at once. I don't think they have the lifetime warranty of the Dillon presses, but they're built so thick that I don't think there's much you can wear out on one.
Old May 19, 2010, 07:18 AM   #5
Sevens

Ha ha ha, trouble in paradise! That limousine doesn't look so darn cool when you've got to fill it with gas, eh Richie Rich?!
Old May 19, 2010, 08:06 AM   #6
jmorris

Quote:
I found a setback to the Dillon. I used to be able to remove the bowl or merely pick up the whole tumbler to dump the cases in the rotary sifter. Now, I'm having to scoop out the stuff with a measuring cup until there's little enough left that when I do dump it, the cases/media don't go overboard the sifter.

I guess I need to find a bigger sifter.
They sell one of those too.
Old May 19, 2010, 10:47 AM   #7
sc928porsche

For large loads of brass, I have an electric cement mixer. I picked it up at a rental company that was going out of business for $50. For smaller loads, I have a Hornady and a Frankford.
Old May 19, 2010, 12:36 PM   #8
IllinoisCoyoteHunter

Quote:
For large loads of brass, I have an electric cement mixer.
Are you cleaning brass for the entire state of Alabama????

~NRA LIFE MEMBER~
~NRA CERTIFIED INSTRUCTOR~