The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 28, 2010, 12:59 PM   #1
horseman308

Rem 700 VTR barrelled action on any other stock?

Out of curiosity, let's pretend that I wanted to get a VTR (I might). Let's also pretend that I'm not nuts about the injection molded stock (I'm not, really), and I'd like to replace it with something more substantial, like an HS Precision, McMillan, etc.

Is this doable? With the triangular barrel, would there be issues with the barrel channel and clearance for free-floating? It's not that I'm actually doing this (at least not in the near future), but if I wanted to, would it be doable? Just curious.
Old April 28, 2010, 01:39 PM   #2
Norrick

yeah its doable, its a heavy profiled barrel, the triangular shape is just because the fluting is so wide that there is only enough room for 3 of them.

The "points" of the triangle are actually round so they will be like any other barrel in the channel of a stock. This is a Bell and Carlson tactical style, and it is free floated.

Old April 28, 2010, 03:26 PM   #3
horseman308

That's a pretty nice looking long-range set-up. How does it shoot? What are the other specs on it (scope, bottom metal, etc, etc.)?
Old April 28, 2010, 04:24 PM   #4
p99guy

my .223 VTR in a B&C Lite Tactical...(top)

By p99guy at 2008-06-06
Old April 28, 2010, 07:57 PM   #5
Norrick

@horseman308:

It has an H-S precision detatchable magazine trigger guard assembly (.308 caliber) I like it but the mag release is kind of a pain. 10 round mags rattle a little, 4 round mags are nice and snug and flush with the bottom of the rifle as well. CDI sells something very similar and it has an oversized mag release I would give those a try if you were interested.

The scope was an Elite 6500 2.5-16x50 mil dot that has since been sold. I'm probably going to put a Vortex Viper PST on it after I see some reviews roll out on it or maybe even in person. Everywhere they seem to be backordered.

The base is a warnes one piece picatinny, and the rings are by H-S precision (very nice/well made).

Harris Bipod of course.

It shoots great at 100 yards. I have no local ranges that go farther than that so I have been diverting my attention towards 22 bolt actions recently, since at 100 it feels more challenging.

Last edited by Norrick; April 28, 2010 at 08:02 PM.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:22 PM   #6
horseman308

Norrick:
Sounds like a good set-up, actually. I was a little skeptical of the whole triangular barrel thing, but after reading lots of reviews and some threads on here about its actual dimensions, quality, etc., the idea is growing on me.

What does it weigh? I'd want to use it for a multi-purpose rifle - deer hunting, target/silhouette shooting, occasional coyote, pig, or other type of predator/varmint/misc. hunting. I like a relatively heavy rifle (9-10 lbs. scoped and loaded is ideal), generally. But I don't want to haul a howitzer around hunting (like your typical tactical rifle) or try to shoot a light mountain rifle for more than a few rounds of target.
Old April 28, 2010, 08:27 PM   #7
Norrick

That particular setup I wana say its in the 11-12 pound range. Its a heavy gun. I wouldn't hunt with it personally.