The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old July 3, 2009, 08:48 AM   #26
stevieboy

I prefer to shoot leadless ammo on my indoor range and I've fired a lot of Magtech CleanRange ammo in both .38 special (158 gr. TMJ) and .45 ACP. (230 gr. TMJ) It's excellent stuff. Accurate and ultraclean. I strongly recommend it.

However, I've found it and other Magtech ammo really hard to find lately. I've got an order for .38 special Cleanrange with one internet supplier that's been pending since mid-March and, yesterday, I received an e-mail from them telling me it would be late September, at the earliest, before they could deliver it to me. I have an order for .45 ACP with another supplier and, a month ago, they advised me by e-mail that it would be delivered by June 30. Obviously, that date's come and gone and still, no ammo.
Old July 6, 2009, 06:10 AM   #27
customizedcreationz

Had issues with .40 180 grn in quite a few guns in the shop here. So I stopped using it. The bullet nose shape was the causing feed ramp issues in several guns. Other then that, I never had a problem with other calibers.
Old July 6, 2009, 08:51 AM   #28
hblac

I personally think it shoots "dirty" compared to other brands like Winchester in the white box. I do end up shooting it a lot however because there seems to be more of it available. Practice a lot with it in .380, .38, .357 and 9mm. The .380 Magtech wouldn't feed properly in the PPK/S I had but not much else would either. Had to sell that gun.

Hal
Old July 2, 2012, 11:23 PM   #29
freedash22

Consistent and Clean Ammo with Great Service

Overall I think Magtech, for the price you pay for it, gives you great ammo. I use it frequently and it's great stuff. Never had problems with it in my FNP-45. Also, the customer support of Magtech is polite and entertains inquiries very well; sent me a physical product catalogue when I asked for one and it's very rare here in the Philippines for companies to do that. Highly recommended if you are looking for cost-effective factory-loaded ammo.
Old July 2, 2012, 11:26 PM   #30
LockedBreech

The only failure my PX4 has ever had in about 3,500 rounds was a failure to return to battery with a Magtech 180-grain.

But since the other 199 shot fine and the PX4 eats Fed. Champion, CCI Blazer, and Win. White Box, I don't think it's a big deal. I'd shoot it again.
Old July 3, 2012, 09:28 AM   #31
MarkDozier

158 gr 357Mag is a great load.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:28 PM   #32
Doyle

I was just talking to a dealer today about Magtech stuff. I told him that it wasn't that long ago that you could buy .44mag and .357mag Magtech for just over $20/box. I wished I had bought a wheelbarrow load of each back then.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:42 PM   #33
ScottRiqui

I reload my own ammo, but when I use one of my range's rental guns, I have to buy their ammo, and as often as not, it's Magtech. No problems with it so far, and the price is fair.
Old July 3, 2012, 01:45 PM   #34
TailGator

I have only bought it a couple of times, in 9 mm, but I don't remember having any reliability issues. I didn't think it shot clean at all, though - my recollection is that it was rather on the dirty side, as a matter of fact.

Tags
magtech