The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old December 7, 2008, 10:02 AM   #1
mooney

CAS new rifle/gun "finish"questions

First off I'm just starting out in CAS, and after watching and researching I have decided on the basic rifles and guns I want. I have a set of Uberti 1858 pistols on their way with both BP and conversion .45 cylinders. I plan to buy an 1873 rifle in pistol matching .45 and a stagecoach exposed hammer shotgun. I'm not planing to be the fastest (obviously from my choice in guns), just want to have fun shooting and collecting Cowboy stuff. My questions are more about the finish on my rifle and guns. I know this is a minor detail to most probably, but it's just one of my quirks.

It's important to me that the guns look good visually. I ordered the pistols & extra cylinders from Uberti in their "antique" finish. Taylor's told me the cylinders come blue, but they will antique them for me before sending them to me. I also see that the Cimarron 1873 (Uberti) comes in a blue, Charcoal Blue or Original Finish. Has anyone seen the "original finish"? Is it the same as Antique? I'd like the rifle to match the pistols. Also if Taylor's can "antique" my cylinders, do you think they could "antique" my rifles and shotgun to match if the "original finish" isn't the same? I plan to check this week, but thought I'd get some info here and use tis as my first CAS post

Sorry in advance for the stupid question,

Mooney in PA
Old December 8, 2008, 09:54 AM   #2
mooney

Nevermind

I got my answer from the distributor. May have been a dumb question, but in case others are new to the old looking guns and want to know...

Uberti's "Antique" finish is the same as Cimarron's "Original Finish" and can be homemade with a little Naval Jelly and steel wool if you want to DIY.

Mooney in PA
Old December 8, 2008, 11:25 AM   #3
Hafoc

I've never seen or purchased one of the "Antique" finishes. I guess I see the point: To have weapons that look like they've been around since the days of the Old West, but which are still mechanically brand new. I'd just advise you that with bare metal you're going to be perhaps even more vulnerable to rust than with a standard blued finish. So keep a little THIN film of oil on ALL the metal, OK?
Old December 8, 2008, 11:30 AM   #4
mooney

"So keep a little THIN film of oil on ALL the metal, OK?"

Understood, thanks.

Mooney