The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 1, 2000, 05:43 PM   #1
able2ski

I had a chance to work on my problem some more. One thing I discovered was that my resizing die wasn't all the way down. DUH!

I resized 10 cases and checked all with a case gauge. All ten empty cases passed easily; my calipers indicated the resizing die makes cases well below max specs shown in my Lyman handbook. Of these 10 cases, 7 failed later once the completed rounds (using 185 gn FP Berry's bullets)were assembled. Strange, huh? I checked my crimp and it was as i had set it up; I even experimented with less & more crimp. Neither solved the problem. I resolved myself to just finish reloading those cases and not attempt reloading them another time.

I finished off that batch and went to work on reloading another batch that had previously failed the case guage. Although, on this batch of brass, I used 230 gn RN Berry's bullets. My first few rounds all passed! I then loaded over 300 rounds (all previously failed cases) and every one passed the case guage test!

I'm now thinking that the 185 FP bullets may have been part of the problem. Oddly my calipers indicate they are right at the bullet spec shown in the Lymans book.

I'm not sure why the bullet choice made such a huge difference, especially since they appear to be within spec.

Anyways, thanks for all the advice. I'll update the thread again if I have anything new to add.

Andrew