The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old November 13, 2004, 10:28 AM   #26
Aikibiker

If I were in your position I would look and see if my school offered a wrestling or boxing program. I would also check local community centers and the YMCA for cheap martial arts lessons.

If you have to train on your own I would suggest you learn a good hook type punch to the lower body and a palm heel strike to the face.

For the body blow you will want to tighten your fist as much as possible. Think you are trying to crush a lump of coal into a diamond. Also tighten the muscles in your forearm as much as possible to avoid hurting your wrists. There are different schools of thought on which part of the fist to hit your opponent with. Some people say the fist two knuckles of the hand are the proper striking surface, others like to hit with the knuckle of the ring finger, still more prefer to hit with the entire fist. Experiment a little and see what works for you. Get in close to your bag and drive your punches out from your hips like a piston. Try to drive your blows THROUGH your target. On the street these strikes can be used when in close to target the abdomen if your opponent gets close and you need to drive them off. Offensively you can use them by grabbing the upper arm of your enemy and turning him so that his back is exposed to you. Then begin repeatedly striking him in the closest kidney.

For the palm heel strike you want to curl your fingers back to the first joint at the palm. The striking surface is bottom of your palm. The main target is the bottom of the chin. You will want to hit at an upward angle to drive the head up and backwards. Defensively you would most likely use this after blocking or slipping your opponents punch. It is also useful in stopping a grab attempt if you can catch it early. Offensively you would try get to the side of your opponent and gain control of his arm. Basically grab hold of it and push his elbow down and into his side to push him off balance, then bring your palm heel up the front of his chest to take advantage of the blind spot under his eyes. Drive the head up and back, then when he is looking up at the sky and leaning backwards push his head down to the ground.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old November 15, 2004, 09:49 PM   #27
grey_pilgrim

Here's a random question. What do you do if someone picks you up. Same thing goes for a bear hug. I would assume that if you get close enough to have that happen to you, you've already made a whole bunch of mistakes in a street fight/hand to hand, but if it goes to ground. . . . .

so what would those of you who know something about self defense do?

a) the threat was dire?

b) it was just some punk who wanted to show other people that he was stronger than you?

edited so that the threat, instead of the thread, was dire

Last edited by grey_pilgrim; November 16, 2004 at 02:55 AM.
Old November 15, 2004, 10:11 PM   #28
IZinterrogator

I'm suprised no one has mentioned using your environment. Before the BG takes a swing, throw dirt in his face, if available. And after throwing the nose jab, if you have a good solid object nearby, bounce the guy off it a few times. A brick wall works wonders. And always remember, once the BG is not in a position to come after you anymore, get the heck outta there.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old November 15, 2004, 10:22 PM   #29
Aikibiker

1a) Picked up off my feet by someone who is intent on doing me serious physical harm.

This is a serious situation. The bad guy has demonstrated an ability to do me serious bodily harm by the simple fact that he was able to pick me up off my feet. My response depends on how my hands are positioned. If my arms are pinned to my body I have the chance to access one of the weapons I have at my belt line. I also have the chance to grab hold of the bad guys groin and try to rip his genitals off. No matter what I do it is going to be nasty and brutal.

1b) Picked up off my feet by some punk trying to show off.

This has actually happened to me. I went totally limp and he almost hurt himself trying to lift my dead weight. When he finally got me up in the air and slammed me I took a break fall, bounced back up to my knees, and took him down with a single leg take down. I then mounted him and applied a key lock. This was all in good fun during a break in a defensive tactics class. I have also had good success with rolling into a sacrifice throw when playing around with friends from my dojo that I know can roll and fall without getting hurt.

2a & b) Put into a bear hug.

There are a number of martial arts and defensive tactics techniques I know for this one. I would just vary how hard and strong I do the technique as well as how I followed it up depending on the circumstances.

~Joel

TFL survivor, THR member, TFL member once again!
Old November 16, 2004, 12:04 AM   #30
Cal4D4

Probably the most basic martial arts response is the headbutt/foreheadbutt to the hugger's face/nose. Also, if from behind a squat with both your arms thrust forward can help breakout. If possible bend forward and grab BG's leg from between yours and fall back on him. Pretty devastating. If you are already in air on a behind hug, bring a heel up into BG's crotch. All best learned from a talented teacher but still pretty basic stuff. Keep trying, make an opening. Twist if possible and chop down past your side into crotch. Comes down to getting BG off balance and hitting with whatever you can move.