The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old January 17, 2013, 11:56 AM   #1
ZVP

.36 London 1851

I own a Uberti London Model and I really like the differences in this Model from Piettia 1851 Models. Owning both brands I have had occasion to evaluate both brands.
The Uberti has one major improvrment, that being that it follows the origonal London design complete with Peacmaker style grip shape! SO much more comfortabe than the sharp heeled Piettia grip design.
I rounded my Piettia 1851 frame and grip to add a smoother area to touch the palm of the hand.
Uberti color case hardening is also more coorfull and the bluing much deeper!
Now that I know what roundness to shape to, I will do my .36 Piettia Police revolver which is ome of my favorite guns!
A bonus with the Uberti is a buttery smooth action and lighter hammer stroke making cocking much easier. Perhaps the pivot points in the Uberti must be differently locatedd.
In Cabela's catalog a review of the Piettia London Model mentipons their use of the Peacemaker grip shape. Good for them!tarting a couple years ago Piettia quality came way up and now challenges Uberti for longivity and fit
Both brands have had broken Hammer hand springs...
I really like that Peacemaker grip on a '51!
ZVP
Old January 18, 2013, 05:49 PM   #2
Hawg

Quote:
a couple years ago Piettia quality came way up and now challenges Uberti for longivity and fit
More like 12.
Old January 30, 2013, 12:58 PM   #3
Mictlanero

Quote:
In Cabela's catalog a review of the Piettia London Model mentipons their use of the Peacemaker grip shape.
I am wondering something - my Pietta 1861 uses these same Peacemaker grip shape as the 1851 London....

And I was having some problems fitting the normally shaped 1851 grips the manufacturer sent me --- could it be because he should have sent Peacemaker type grips and not the grips which normally fit Pietta 1851 as opposed to Pietta London 1851?

Last edited by Mictlanero; January 30, 2013 at 01:15 PM.
Old January 30, 2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Hawg

All grips have to be fitted. The factories finish out the grip frames with the grips installed so no two sets are the same.
Old January 30, 2013, 03:25 PM   #5
10851Man

The 'tail' on the Pietta grip raises the natural point of aim, like the arched mainspring housing on a Colt 1911 and this feature works for me...
Old January 31, 2013, 06:53 PM   #6
Shotput79

ZVP I sold my Pietta 1851 and bought a Uberti 1851 to take it's place. Only thing that help me make the switch is that the man at a gun shop had the Uberti in stock so I could look it over befour I sold the Pietta. This Uberti 51 is as smooth as butter. He had a Uberti Londen model 51 and that is a good looking pistol. The blued trigger guard and back strap really set it off. I'm making myself not buy a lot of things I want right now. If anybody has the money and wants one of those London modelsI'd tell you go for it. Come to think of it I had a 1862 Colt in .36 cal and I sold it to buy a Uberti 1858 Remington New Army. They sure are nice pistols. But selling that 62 still bugs me. It was a uberti smooth as butter. I need to hush up or I'll be thinking about that 62 all night.
Old January 31, 2013, 06:57 PM   #7
10851Man

Maybe this will help....

Old January 31, 2013, 07:03 PM   #8
10851Man

I also like the 1851 Navy, but I prefer the brass backstrap and triggerguard. I bouth the 1862 Police for its shorter barrel length...
Old January 31, 2013, 09:46 PM   #9
ZVP

The Piettia "tail" is the most often disputed error they made. The taik is too sharp and as was said, "makes thee revolver shoot higher than it already does!
I reshaped the grips on a '51 .44 caliber "standard" Navy model and just rounding that tail away made all the difference in the world! I touched-up the frot grip base a tiny bit to hasten getting my little finger underneath it.
Still the "fuller" Peacemaker grip is even better on the hand and it turns the London '51 into a pleasure to hold. The Pecemaker also has a filled-in section at the front of the grip assembly whch further aids ones "hold"
I haven't actually held a Piettia but the grip looks exactlly like my Uberti's and should be just as good.
My Piettia mod assists my hold but really dosen;t exactlly mimic the Peacemaker style. What makes the Uberti so different is the smoothness of oleration that it has The action feels like a custom job! So smooth and light!
Given the quality differences between the two brands, I'd go with the Uberti if at all possible.
JMHO,
ZVP
Old February 1, 2013, 12:21 PM   #10
10851Man

@ ZVP,

The tail raises the point of aim, just like the arched mainspring housing on a Colt 1911. I can just close my eyes, point and shoot my '62 Police and it is naturally dead-on target.

That grip angle works for some and not for others...

I cannot hit anything with a Glock instinctively, due to the grip angle, but I can shot my 1911 in total darkness and be right on target...
Old February 4, 2013, 01:26 PM   #11
unknwn

I have an 1860 version London Pietta and it sports the original '51 grip profile rather that the Pietta "tailed" type of grip profile. If it hadn't , I would not have seen any reason to add a "London" to the collection. -Just- a black steel backstrap & triggerguard wouldn't have been enough to convince me of it's value over the standard '60 version, but the inclusion of the grip shape was.