The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 15, 2009, 02:12 PM   #1
Randolph_Howell

Looking for advice on a used reloading press

I have looked and read a bit about presses and want one with a cast iron frame like the RCBS, Lee or Hornady. I have been watching Ebay for available presses but the prices are a little high for the age and condition.

My question is would I be better served buying a new press or going with one of the more vintage ones?

And does one brand have advantages over the others?
Old March 15, 2009, 02:52 PM   #2
jaguarxk120

Just take your time in buying, a good press will last you a lifetime. There is a A2 on flea bay right now setting at about $150 or so, is it worth it? Taking in consideration it is nolonger made, cast steel, impossible to wearout, and the only press stronger is the Corbin.

Not a bad buy, but rember as in rifles, loading equipment is the same. A Savage is not in the same class as a Kimber or Cooper rifle.

It never hurts to buy quality equipment, either using it, or if you have to sell it later.
Old March 15, 2009, 04:08 PM   #3
Shoney

I'm still using a Pacific single stage I purchased in 1960. However, it has not been abused, kicked around, dropped, or rusted up one side and down the other.

Look closely at the write ups, ask questions about the shape of the press and keep the e-mails of your questions an their answers. They may come in handy should the press be faulty.

At Gunshows you have a hands on knowledge of the product.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old March 15, 2009, 04:09 PM   #4
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Adding reloading equipment through the years, I found that "good used" has worked as good as NIB. I've used Pacific and RCBS, mostly. As long as they're not aluminum, I'm happy. Basically, absent attacks by sledgehammer, you can't hurt a press. I happen to like the RCBS O-types.

Heck, some of my stuff was inherited from my uncle, and he started loading before WW II. Still works good enough that I'm getting sub-moa results...
Old March 15, 2009, 04:39 PM   #5
jdscholer

I'm gonna agree with Art. With cast iron "O" types in particular, there just isn't that much to go wrong with them; barring missing parts. Even rusty ugly basement dwellers can be cleaned up and put back into good service in most cases. I've bought them as cheap as five bucks, and probably will see some at our next gun show for +/-$50. I guess I'm also kinda partial to the RCBS's. Maybe it's the color. jd
Old March 15, 2009, 05:23 PM   #6
hardhit

+1 cast iron "O" types I have a simplex aust made o type iv had it since 1979 and is still going strong. The Redding looks like a good one, but I have no experience with them, I like there products i think there well made.
Old March 15, 2009, 05:52 PM   #7
c.j.sikes

reloading presses

i used every type from herters to dilllon, like the boys said get good solid press and it will last a life time, i think, but i am only 77 yrs old. what do i know. not yo worry little brother, there are more. c.j.sikes
Old March 15, 2009, 06:10 PM   #8
Randolph_Howell

whats the diff

A-2, Rock Chucker, Jr., Jr2.....the A-2 on ebay is at $255 now....somebody wants it bad.
Old March 15, 2009, 06:17 PM   #9
wncchester

"I have looked and read a bit about presses and want one with a cast iron frame like the RCBS, Lee or Hornady."

Any of those will do you good, no effective difference at all. The Lee does have a fully adjustable handle and the primer catcher system works, those are nice features.

And the Hornady LnL actually has a cast alum. alloy body but that's really no problem if you use their steel insert die holding system.
Old March 15, 2009, 07:30 PM   #10
jaguarxk120

The A2 on ebay at $255 is something else! I think the lister used the magic word "swaging" and lots of pictures.

Many time how the item is presented will drive the price way up. Also bidders become so involved and have to have it at any cost.

I've found many things lost today will comeup later on a different auction, sometimes cheaper. You have to know the prices and know when when to stop. I've seen things go for more than retail and the thing was used!!
Old March 15, 2009, 08:30 PM   #11
jal5

Checkout Craigslist too, you can often get good used reloading equipment that way. And check out several different online forums too, guys upgrade equipment or find one at a good price for resale. Patience will payoff! I bought almost all of my stuff used and got better quality than I could have ever afforded if new. Unless truly abused this stuff will last several lifetimes of reloading.

Joe
Old March 16, 2009, 10:11 AM   #12
jaguarxk120

How right you are about CL, I bought two sets of dies for $30 and recieved Lyman 30-30 dies set and a complete set of Bonanza bench rest w/small base & neck sizer dies. Was very happy to add to my die sets.

Tags
reloading press