The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 5, 2009, 11:09 PM   #76
Bud Helms

Merge.
Old February 5, 2009, 11:11 PM   #77
jabo052

Avenger, as much as I hate to say it, socks, ammo and hardware being gone from a Wal-Mart just sounds like people preparing. I mean, those are essentials, right? Well.....other than food and water.
Old February 6, 2009, 02:59 AM   #78
Marred

We stalked a Walmart tonight and talked to the night manager and he said that they would be stocking ammo at about 10 p.m. We went down there and bought about half of what they had but I don't think that other shooters will get the rest because another clerk told us that an employee from that #%&@% gun shop was there earlier and he even had the guts to be wearing a shirt with the store logo on it. We ask all the shooters we know if they need ammo and then go and buy for everyone.
I feel bad for the small gun shop owner and I even prefer to buy my guns from them instead of the larger stores and I don't mind paying a little more, I just bought a Springfield loaded from a mom and pop shop that I'm picking up on Saturday, But buying a gun is a once in a while thing for me but cheap ammo is a must and when I can get it I'll take it. What good is a car without affordable gas?
Old February 6, 2009, 10:06 AM   #79
Jkwas

Quote:
Avenger, as much as I hate to say it, socks, ammo and hardware being gone from a Wal-Mart just sounds like people preparing. I mean, those are essentials, right? Well.....other than food and water.
WHAT? Now I have to stock up on socks?
Old February 6, 2009, 09:54 PM   #80
harlequineternal

What the hell is up with ammo lately?

I've read a few posts talking about ammo being scarce. I just went to Wal-Mart for some cheap 22 bulk ammo and they were out of pretty much every kind of ammo there is. Is there some ammo shortage going on? Is it Obama's fault?

Last edited by JohnKSa; February 6, 2009 at 10:19 PM. Reason: .
Old February 6, 2009, 10:00 PM   #81
Any .45

HAHA!!!!!! Hip hip hooray!!!!! I just got back from the wally world in the next county which is broward and picked up 1200 rounds of federal .223 in the 100 packs. Cleaned them out. I called for 9mm luger, .45 acp, and .223, the clerk said he had no .223 at all but he had lots of 9mm 100 pks and .45 100 pks. I get there and he has no .45 100 pks but had 1200 rounds of .223 100 pks and 8 boxes of 20 round umc (left these there for the next guy), I didn't even look at the 9mm, i just waited for someone to show up and when she asked what i wanted I said, "open it cause you might not want to carry everything I want". So i walk out of wally world happier then a tornado in a trailer park. . Oh did buy 2 boxes of CCI blazer.. I hope you al have some luck, hey, just try the next county.:barf:
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old February 6, 2009, 10:04 PM   #82
Any .45

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=332572Take a look at this thread here. Yours will probably be merged with it soon anyway. Mine was and so were others.
Illuminate the path

Billow like Great Waves;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Founder of Aikido
Old February 6, 2009, 10:08 PM   #83
Chuckusaret

The Wal Marts here in Lake Park and Jupiter, Florida had .22, 223, 9MM, 40 cal, 45 cal. I bought 1050 rounds of 40 cal WWB and 250 rounds of assorted loads of 12 ga shot shells==$406 and change
Old February 6, 2009, 10:11 PM   #84
Any .45

So my cousin is the Assistant GM at a wlamart in the state, I didn't know I had people in low places like that . He mentioned to me, what had happened with the ammo and shortages was, most walmarts order an average of 6-8 months supply of goods, to keep the prices low by buying bulk, and his store ordered 8 months worth of ammunition, but they ended up selling their 8 month supply in 2 months. He showed me the email to his next order for ammo, and he has alot coming in, but it'll be about 2 months he says. So that is one reason of the shortages.
Illuminate the path

Billow like Great Waves;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Founder of Aikido
Old February 6, 2009, 11:02 PM   #85
greenchevy94

I bought 6 boxes of .45 from two different wal-marts. The last 3 in Marshall, Tx and they only had about 6 more boxes in the Longview store. Has anyone tried to buy in bulk other places(cabela's, bass pro, etc.)?
Old February 6, 2009, 11:22 PM   #86
supergas452M

Quote:
Many of you are the very reason that there is no ammo, and what ammo there is, is sky high in price. Same reason gas got so high.

I saw where someone said they went and bought all 2400 rounds of .40 at their Wal-Mart. What are you going to do with that? Kill a lot of zombies? LOL.

It really sucks that so many can get suckered. I guess people really believe that Obama was going to be able to ban all ammo and guns within days of his election or inauguration.

Well, I happened in a WalMart today looking for gun cleaner and what to my surprise did I see? 100 round Value Packs of 230 grain .45 ACP in WWB. Two cases on the shelf. Hadn't seen these in almost a month. Asked the clerk if there was more in the back. "He said no this is it, we got 5 cases and this is all thats left." Guess what I did? Being the nice gun nut that I am, I left 1 case for some other "sucker". Only because I already had 3 cases. Guess what, you call people suckers for stocking up on ammo at good prices? I bet I can get my money out of this ammo tomorrow, next week, next month, next year or next decade if I need to. Yeah, I guess I'm a sucker but what does that make you???
Old February 7, 2009, 05:56 AM   #87
divemedic

Quote:
I saw where someone said they went and bought all 2400 rounds of .40 at their Wal-Mart. What are you going to do with that? Kill a lot of zombies? LOL.
I have more than that. I shoot it. I go through quite a lot of ammo, perhaps 500 rds of .22lr, 250 rds of 9mm and 500rds of either .45ACP, or .357Sig a month. I have over 15,000 rds of ammo in the house of assorted calibers.

Man people on this board have and use a lot more than that.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:08 AM   #88
S&W-Keeper

Same in my area, the shelves are very low. The main calibers are out.
Old February 7, 2009, 11:17 AM   #89
12GaugeShuggoth

Once again I'm dumbfounded........ The last 4 wal-marts (Suffolk, Franklin, Chesapeake, and VA Beach) I've been to ALL had a decent amount of ammo (compared to the pre-election normal amount), including handgun. I've not increased my buying over the past couple months, as I've yet to see any decreased availability of ammo. Must be lucky or something. I do my best not to actually BUY ammo from WM when possible, as I have a local shop who has pretty competitive prices.

---Enlightenment is the ability to take infinite pains---
MOLON LABE
Old February 7, 2009, 12:34 PM   #90
TEDDY

ammo

WHERE HAVE YOU ALL BEEN.the gun owners are buying by the case,and the factoies aree going full blast.there is only so much production capacity.and there are only so many lines.they have to break down and set up for diferent calibers.so they make a run aon how much they will need and produce that.
why not do as many are start loading your own.I load for about 20 cal,and have 10 presses and 30 molds.I have been using Lee products(for the price)
Old February 7, 2009, 05:28 PM   #91
levrluvr

Quote:
why not do as many are start loading your own.I load for about 20 cal,and have 10 presses and 30 molds.I have been using Lee products(for the price)
Eaiser said than done. I've had all the equipment to reload for quite a while but never got around to setting up a bench for it- never seemed to have the time. Now I have the time, and the components are not available locally or on-line. I made a dozen phone calls to internet reloading sites in the past few days for the primers/powders I need/want (for just two calibers, one handgun, one rifle), and they are sold out with no backorders taken or delivery dates. I'll be forced to either wait for this to pass, or buy factory-loaded ammo, if it can be found. The hoarding taking place is the same or possibly even worse in the reloading industry.
Old February 7, 2009, 05:38 PM   #92
coondogger

My understanding is that Walmart is one of the largest volume wholesale buyers of ammunition in the country. So if they are having inventory problems, it means the production lines are negatively stressed.
Old February 7, 2009, 06:07 PM   #93
joegator

Was in Wallys today. They had WWB 9 and .380 and 2 boxes each of .40 and .45 Blaser Brass. There was a line at the register. Looks like they got a small delivery and its going fast.
Old February 7, 2009, 10:52 PM   #94
sltintexas

We'll I've kind of developed a relationship with they guy at the sporting good section at walmart. Everytime I'm in, I buy two boxes of 22LR ammo. We shoot the shizzle for a few minutes and I leave. They never have any 9mm and 380.

So today I asked him, can I special order some ammo for me? I never am here when y'all get it in. He said he didn't know and would call his manager. His manager shows up and they have some small talk about not getting any in etc etc. He says they can't special order for me but they can set some to the side for me.

Here comes the good part.......

He walks over to the counter with his little hand held scanner gun. He asks me which one I wanted and I showed him..... he beeps away on his scanner gun. Then he turns to the dude I always talk to and asked again why they didn't have any. My dude said he was told that they can't get any from the warehouse. Manager says he can tell they haven't ordered any in a while. He turns to me and says that the most he can order at a time is 30 CASES. He goes down the row at the ammo counter...beep..beep...beep....beep. OK, I just ordered 30 cases of this one, that one, that one and that one..... they'll be here Tuesday night. I said, um, ok cool. My dude says he'll be there Tuesday and he'll set them aside and call me.

He takes my name and number and says he'll call me.

I go about doing my shopping. Well some where between the eggs and hotdogs my cell phone rings. He says meet me at the ammo counter in 10 minutes. I continue to the hotdogs and found them on sale (2 for $3 SCORE! ) then head over there. He is wheeling out 8 cases of ammo (40, 9mm & 380)! He said the early guy is supposed to bring these out, but he's a slacker!

Anyway, $200 of ammo later and $78 groceries, I'm heading home.

Moral of the story.... ask a manager and tell him to get his scanner gun.
Old February 8, 2009, 12:16 AM   #95
gglass

If Wal-Mart gets out of the ammo business, then I will finally have to stop purchasing there. I have given my business to Wal-Mart at the expense of local retailers and chain stores, but this would be the last straw for me.

They can carry anything they like, but if they bend to political pressure from the left (the same folks who actively try to put them under), then I will truly stop buying anything from them. This is the same kind of purchasing activism that nearly drove Smith & Wesson out of business when they sided with the Clinton administration. Gun buyers alone could never put Wal-Mart under, but gun owners are a 50+ million strong buying block that could put the squeeze on any retailer if provoked. If Wal-Mart thinks that the NASCAR crowd acts together, they would be even more surprised at how monolithic the gun owner crowd can be.
Old February 8, 2009, 12:30 AM   #96
LoneStarWings

I usually avoid wal-mart, but I go where I can to get the Remington UMC 250 round mega-packs, as it saves me about 20-30 bucks over buying 5 of the 50 count boxes in other brands. I got the last mega-pack at my closest wal-mart tonight. I also picked up a box of 12 awg bird shot.

Get this. As I check out, here's what the checker says:

"planning on blowing somebody away tonight?"

Me: "No BODY, just some paper later this week"

"taking out all your agression on the poor paper are you?"

Me: "No, just trying to improve my accuracy"

Old February 8, 2009, 08:38 AM   #97
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
Has anyone tried to buy in bulk other places(cabela's, bass pro, etc.)?
I was at Bass Pro yesterday and they were virtually out of handgun ammo. I mean they had sections of shelving that was empty with white tags that read "Currently Out of Stock." I was looking for .380 and .45 but was SOL on both of those. They did have 6 boxes of a .40 so I bought two to take to the range today.

As a side note, they had all the rifle ammo you could want but this hoarding of handgun ammo is getting out of control.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:45 AM   #98
BMARM4

Wal-Mart is getting out of the gun business. It's the new "friendlier" policy of Sam's kids. ie Anti-gun.
Old February 8, 2009, 08:54 AM   #99
Derekadavis

the past few weeks ive been trying to find 9mm ammo. i have 7-8 walmarts within about 25 miles from me. i called all of them, NOTHING! . called several other places,like acadamy, bass pro, cabelas. all there ammo was slightly high 13-20 a box. when too dicks on the way to the range to shoot my last three boxes. they had 2 full cases. i bought 8 boxes for right under $100.this ammo shortage is really starting to **** me off.
Old February 8, 2009, 03:11 PM   #100
Krakkon

reloading is your friend...

Tags
9mm , academy