The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 22, 2009, 05:16 AM   #26
jesus5150

I Have a different problem lol.

Man, i went to Cabela's, The White Elephant, all of the General Stores and Army surplus stores looking for range and SD ammo, And everywhere i go i hear "Yeah this blonde guy came in a few days ago and bought everything we have, he's been coming in everytime we get a shipment" it's getting ridiculous! i've also noticed that he never buys "winchester" ammo... I just want some damn Blazer to blow off and some Federal HS's to put in my HD mag... UGH!!!!

Congrats man, stock up. People are getting crazy about ammo. Some people fear Obama, others still think the Russians are planning something lol

I think that within ten years bullets will become the new currency... yep bullets... or maybe hotdogs.... But probably bullets

Last edited by jesus5150; January 22, 2009 at 05:22 AM.
Old January 22, 2009, 08:53 AM   #27
protectedbyglock

I think if you live close to an anti state, sometimes their wal-marts have more ammo.
I just got 200rnds of federal 223 yesterday in the 100rnd value packs, and there was still 100rnds left. I probably should have gotten that, too.
They still have 40cal and a few boxes of 380. Tons of federal 550rnd .22 boxes. They have Blazer brass in 40 for $12.47 per 50, too.
They have some other rifle ammo, but mostly just the standard 20rnd boxes, like Rem 270, 30-06, 7mm, 243, etc.
I have a little general store down the street where I've been buying a few things. The have the complete CCI .22 lineup, and PMC Sidewinders and Zappers for cheap. They even have one lone box of .40 Personal Defense rounds for $20 that's been sitting there for a couple months. They also have 50rnd boxes of 9mm JHP (win) for $18 though..
Old January 22, 2009, 09:02 PM   #28
mrclean77

3 W-Ms in my county

one 3 blocks away had 2 50rd boxes of Blazer brass left the other day - got 'em both

hopefully the other stores are in better shape...
Old January 22, 2009, 10:50 PM   #29
TwoKings

Stopped at 2 local wally worlds and they were out of everything except or 1 box of WWB .40, which I bought.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:01 PM   #30
exprt9

I stopped at two WalMart's and both were out of the 45 and 40 S&W value packs, there were a few 9mm's and 380 value packs left. One had had some 40 S&W Blazer Brass left but no 45's. Talked to the guy at the counter and he said that the ammo is coming but will be sent only to the select stores.
Old January 22, 2009, 11:36 PM   #31
BigDinOC

I went back exactly 24 hours later to get another box or two and the shelves were pretty much wiped out. Oh well.

D
Old January 23, 2009, 12:03 AM   #32
Nnobby45

Quote:
Congrats man, stock up. People are getting crazy about ammo. Some people fear Obama, others still think the Russians are planning something lol
Can't help recalling Roy Huntington's comments in the latest Am. Handgunner. While the industry is clapping their hands and rolling in dough because sales are going thru the roof, all of us might be forgetting what happened before.

Since we're buying at a rate to last us a normal 2 to 5 yrs, what happens a couple years from now. Will manufacturers be laying people off (again) do to lack of sales? Will gun shops be closing their doors (again)? It happened during the Clinton administration where we bought with urgency, while the current feeding frenzy is closer to panic. (I'm sorta paraphrasing Roy, while using my own interpretation here)

I don't know, but maybe Roy is right. Get the guns we've always wanted, get reloading components, shoot ammunitiion, keep some on hand, etc.
Old January 23, 2009, 01:29 AM   #33
SW1911CT

Quote:
A couple of weeks ago, I had a bit of an issue with the guy at the door wanting to check through my bag and double check my receipt to make sure that I wasn't stealing anything. I complied politely until he asked what that "bump under my shirt was" and wouldn't accept my quietly answering that it was the butt of my Ruger, which I was licensed to legally carry. I sternly refused to lift up my shirt to prove it and have to worry about being charged with brandishing and who knows what else. It took me threatening to call the police and him calling his manager to get me out the door.
off topic but the last three times ive been asked i dont even stop to show my receipt. nothing ever happens.
Old January 23, 2009, 08:51 AM   #34
elkman06

Our local WM has a fair assortment of ammo, what has bothered me as of late is the one SPortsmans Whouse I frequent in SLC which has effectively now powder or bullets on the shelf. Been that way the last two times I went there.
elkman06

"Better to be tried by 12 than carried by 6"
Old January 23, 2009, 10:22 AM   #35
ZeSpectre

It's not just Wal-Mart.

NOBODY in my area has .380 Auto right now (is that weird or what?)

I'm thankin' the Maker right now that...
a) My wife bought me a reloading kit for my birthday back in May
b) I encouraged my local shop to stock up on reloading supplies with the promise that I'd buy it along the way
c) I collect brass from the range like a magpie

Even with that planning I was getting worried about small pistol primers but my shops seem to have re-supplied this week <sigh of relief>.
Old January 23, 2009, 10:38 AM   #36
Bud Helms

Threads merged.
Old January 23, 2009, 11:26 PM   #37
FyredUp

Stopped at the Super WalMart in Janesville, Wisconsin and found plenty of.38and .380, a couple boxes of .40 and NO boxes of .45 at all. There seemed to be plenty of 9mm FMJ but no hollow points. Plenty of shot gun ammo. I didn't look at rifle ammo because that wasn't my mission today.

Going to Portage tomorrrow to see what they have at WalMart there.
Old January 24, 2009, 08:00 PM   #38
Luke

You guys got me all scared when I first read this. So of course I ran to WM.
No .45 acp I got plenty anyways. So I picked up a few boxes of 9mm and 800 rounds of 12 gauge to feed my sporting clays habit.
Luke
Old January 25, 2009, 05:22 AM   #39
B.N.Real

Last night at Wal Mart.

The wind was blowing the tumbleweeds through the ammo shelves.

Dude,all that was left in handgun ammo was three boxes of supremely over priced 380 ammo and a one small box of overpriced 40 S&W.

Everything else was GONE.
Old January 25, 2009, 12:34 PM   #40
FyredUp

Well I did go to the Walmart in Portage Wisconsin last night and they had 45 acp HP and FMJ, 9mm FMJ but no HP, they had some .380 and .38 and .40. There seemed to be plenty of .22 in quite a variety of brands. Remington 550 pack of .22 was 16.49 a box. Didn't notice any other rifle ammo because I wasn't looking but there were plenty of boxes of WWB in 7.62x39.

On the other hand when I go to my gun store they seem to have plenty of everything at this point. Te only one that seems to be lacking is Wolf 7.62x39 in FMJ and HP. They do have Wolf in the SP but it is more expensive than the FMJ or HP. I was in Dick's Sporting zGoods and Gander Mountain the other day and they seem to have plenty of ammo of all kinds.

My guess would be in this area anyways that it is more about cost than a complete ammo shortage. Walmart is cheaper than the guns stores and the big box sporting goods stores. In fact Gander Mountain and Dicks would most likely be my last choice for ammunition unless I had a coupon or they had a sale. My small gun store beats them on price almost all the time AND I can count on them to be knowledgeable about the products they sell.
Old January 27, 2009, 02:35 PM   #41
MelanieSpringer

I think it's pretty amusing as well... Wal-Mart and several Academy's are sold OUT! They said since HIS election they've been selling guns, ammo, cleaning kits, and hearing protection like crazy. When I find it, I stock up. This country is doomed...
Old January 29, 2009, 04:54 PM   #42
cbgixxer

Charlotte's shelves looked the same.... some 12 ga, some 10mm... and some dust.
Old January 30, 2009, 01:31 AM   #43
nemoaz

Quote:
Actually, yes they can - if you are inside the store, you have likely given an implied consent to search, or at the very least to detain you until the police arrive. Otherwise, they would never be permitted to stop and hold shoplifters.
Don't quit your day job. Implied consent has no application here.
Quote:
The Walmart door warcher has no police powers. A polite "no thank you" and continue on to your car will suffice.
Actually, it's pretty common for states to have statutes allowing merchants to detain shoplifters. See http://www.expertlaw.com/library/sec...oplifting.html Realistically, unless they OBSERVED you place something under the coat--and obviously they didn't since it was your gun rather than a pack of steaks-- they aren't going to hold you if you refuse to allow them to search you for fear of a false imprisonment claim against the merchant.
Old January 30, 2009, 02:57 PM   #44
USASA

Just before Christmas, I bought all the Winchester .40 S&W the two Walmarts in my area had in stock. 2400 rounds total.
Old February 2, 2009, 10:27 PM   #45
Marred

Walmart Ammo

Anyone in the Los Angeles area tried to buy ammo at Walmart? If you're near me in Whittier their ammo is always sold out. A bunch of us have been calling around to all the Walmarts buying up all the ammo we can find but it's not much. During our ammo hunt we got to know some Walmart managers pretty good and we're informed that a certain local gun shop is going around buying up all the ammo and I assume reselling it for a profit. I'm specifically talking about 9mm and 45 acp. Just yesterday I was talking to a manager and he told me that there were other guys asking about the next ammo delivery and I asked him "oh you mean that gun store"? I won't name the store but he said yeah, they keep asking every day. This really makes me angry. Walmart sells 45 acp for 14.95 and 9mm for just under $9. If you buy ammo in places other than Walmart you know the prices we pay for target ammo. Has anyone else had similar Walmart problems in L.A.?
Old February 2, 2009, 10:41 PM   #46
allenomics

My local Wal-Mart is virtually out of ammo. Very low inventory for two weeks now.
Old February 2, 2009, 11:49 PM   #47
gglass

I have five Wal-Marts in my area and all look like the buzzards have picked the ammo shelves clean.

If this was simply a supply and demand thing, Wal-Mart would still get some regular shipments from their warehouses. None of the Wal-Marts in my area have had a fresh shipment of ammunition in weeks, and each tell the same story of the warehouse not having any in stock.

Wal-Marts buying power puts them at the top of a short list of favored retailers for most manufacturers. If Wal-Mart is not getting ammunition shipments, then something bigger is going on. What that is, only Wal-Mart knows.
Old February 3, 2009, 12:25 AM   #48
Marred

gglass you've got a point but what they do get is gone almost immediately and I've had no trouble getting ammo at any Turners or other gun store. While I know people are stocking up, as am I, I now know for a fact that this local gun shop is buying it up and I wonder how many other gun shops are doing the same thing. I mean it only makes sense that if you had a business and someone was undercutting you that much, you might do something like buying up the cheap stuff so people would have to buy your more expensive stuff because you can't get near Walmarts buying power and there is no way you could compete with their prices and make a profit. It's a survival thing.
Old February 3, 2009, 09:44 AM   #49
TNT

Ammo shortage

I was wanting to go shooting this weekend so I went ot Walmart to buy some ammo and they are about out. Talking to the guy behind the counter he said that for that past several months that they have been having problems with the manufacturers not being able to keep up the supply and demand. Not just in any certain caliber but in all of them .22 included.
Old February 3, 2009, 10:34 AM   #50
Bud Helms

Another one merged.

Tags
9mm , academy