The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 4, 2021, 11:10 PM   #1
5whiskey

CMP Garand Lead Times.

In case anyone is wondering, CMP is about 5 months off now. I sent my order in early October, they received it October 26, I got the initial email near the end of January, and my rifle arrived March 2nd. That’s a long wait for a purchase, but it sure was worth it.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946
Old March 5, 2021, 06:00 PM   #2
Logs

My paperwork was sent off a few weeks after you and I haven't gotten the we got your order email. They are slammed right now.

I also got an email on the 1911's and I can't see paying $1,000 for a mismatched 1911.

We are getting warmer weather here so getting the itch to hit the range soon.
Old March 6, 2021, 12:41 PM   #3
stuckinthe60s

funny, I thought all usgi 1911's were mismatched at one point in time?
NSSA All American, Skeet/Trap Range Owner
Old March 6, 2021, 01:53 PM   #4
T. O'Heir

Not bad considering the whole world is closed due to the Covid Panic. Kind of surprised they're even working. Especially as they're volunteers.
There is no rifle that's quite like an M1 Rifle. Having fired all kinds of battle rifles. I think it's the perfect balance. Personally, I prefer it to my semi'd M-14. Except for lugging it around.
Think Hornady 168 grain HPBT's with IMR4064. Hornady makes a Match grade 155 and a 150 grain FMJBT too. For when the world gets back to work. Components are out of stock pretty much everywhere.
"...the 1911's..." Are A1's. Like stuckinthe60s says, military weapons techs do not and never have cared who made what part.
1911A1's generally start at about $2500US and go to over 6 grand. There's a pre-W.W. II issue one on an auction site they think is worth over 50 grand.
Old March 6, 2021, 07:32 PM   #5
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5whiskey View Post
In case anyone is wondering, CMP is about 5 months off now. I sent my order in early October, they received it October 26, I got the initial email near the end of January, and my rifle arrived March 2nd. That’s a long wait for a purchase, but it sure was worth it.
May I ask what they charge for the M1, and if you would please post a photo of your new acquisition, I'd love to see it! Being retired military, these interest me.
Thanks!
Old March 6, 2021, 08:10 PM   #6
Nodak1858

Service grade Garands are $750, luck of draw SA or HRA. Best deal around, you know you won't get a welded receiver or some other shadey stuff. They are looked over by the CMP and be decent shooting rifles. I'm currently waiting on a field grade Winchester and 2 service grades. Sent in my packets in Dec, just got the email acknowledgment on the Winchester this Friday, nothing on the service grades yet.
Old March 6, 2021, 08:45 PM   #7
FunGramps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodak1858 View Post
Service grade Garands are $750, luck of draw SA or HRA. Best deal around, you know you won't get a welded receiver or some other shadey stuff. They are looked over by the CMP and be decent shooting rifles. I'm currently waiting on a field grade Winchester and 2 service grades. Sent in my packets in Dec, just got the email acknowledgment on the Winchester this Friday, nothing on the service grades yet.
Thanks much!
Old March 7, 2021, 01:46 AM   #8
Shane Tuttle
Staff

I bought a CMP M1 Garand, H&R. If I were to buy from them again, I would kindly wait 2 years to receive a firearm from them.

Why? Because I know what kind of product I would be getting. And that's FAR above my expectations and it would be correctly assembled with proper parts. That, and their pricing is generally very competitive.

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old March 8, 2021, 08:59 PM   #9
5whiskey

Absolutely agreed on the quality and that it was well worth the wait. A 2 year wait would indeed be worth it. And yes the CMP did shut down for a while when COVID first hit, but much like the rest of the world they realized life will eventually have to go on. They’ve been working since last summer, but are slower filling orders and still working through the backlog. So what, it’s a phenomenal deal.

Gramps I will post pictures when I get a moment. I will say if you’re thinking about getting one just do it. Such will be the advice of anyone else who has a CMP Garand.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=593946