The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old December 12, 2017, 09:50 PM   #1
QuarterHorse

I may succumb

Please keep any negative or "catty" comments to yourself. I can't believe in a forum full of adults I need to ask this, but I'm busy and really don't care to weed through anyone's BS

This is a two fold post/question/vent/rant ha!

6.5 Creedmoor, I just want to dislike it. It's one of those things where every caliber that "comes out" is the "greatest caliber to ever be imagined". I hate that. I see it with the 22 Nosler, now the 224 Valkery, who knows whats next. This post isn't to debate those calibers, maybe your thoughts on the 6.5 CM if you choose. The difference being the Creedmoor has been out 10 years now and really gaining popularity. This, is where I start to sway. Everything I read ( I have no real world experience with it and have to go on what others report) says thing thing really is all that. It still being around and popular make me waver in my dislike for it and want to look at it in an upcoming rifle purchase.

The rifle:
In another post, I talked about going out west, doing a long range precision class in the spring, possibly two before heading out west, and I want a new gun just because. I mean hey why not!? I talked magnum because I don't have one, now I'm rethinking with the above. I also talked backpacking out west and will be toting the rifle with, however, won't lend well with a heavy rifle nor will my classes do well with a pencil barrel rifle either. The reality, I have to do a "multi-purpose" rifle purchase as I no longer feel confident in my Savage to get through a course after loads of reading on the older Mod 10, and hey, who doesn't want more guns!?
This brings me to the mountains of reviews, research, possibly going custom rifle and spending gobs of money (for me) at which point I'm not going to bench rest shoot, I wouldn't MIND doing some long range events, however, I need a one rifle multiple bills right now. As I'm getting in better shape, I don't need or want to spend money on a 5 lb gun but I don't want to lug an 11 lb gun in the mountains either. I've landed at the Bergara B14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor.

I searched the forums, didn't see much on them, so I'm asking you gun guru's, what are your thoughts? I know it weighs about 9 lbs, I'm fine with this really. Price point is right, from what I read and read and read the performance seems to be there. It's also a platform I can change items out as the need or want or wallet arises and continue to make a better precision gun out of.

Let's have it, be respectful please.

Thank you in advance.
Old December 12, 2017, 10:06 PM   #2
dakota.potts

I don't tend to hunt so if that's an issue, I can't really say anything about it.

I shot a 6.5 Creedmoor for PRS for a while (hoping to do so again when circumstances permit) and I found it easy to use even for someone who was very new to long-distance shooting. It has good ballistics, good behavior in wind, and negligible recoil.

More recently, ammo availability for 6.5 Creedmoor has become much more accessible and affordable. This makes it a much easier choice for somebody who doesn't reload.

I also knew a few shooters who liked .243 for long distance shooting in windy conditions, but that has its own considerations (short barrel life for one)
Old December 12, 2017, 10:21 PM   #3
jmr40

I used to hate Glocks until I bought one. I wasn't 100% sold on 6.5 Creedmoor so I bought the cheapest one I could find in the Ruger Predator at around $350. I'm pleased enough that I may buy something "nicer". But I'm not sure yet.

The thing about the 6.5 Creedmoor is that it is so balanced. Very mild recoil, excellent accuracy, and good bullets that have great SD's and BC's.

For a hunting rifle 9 lb is more than I'd want to carry. Add a scope and you're at 10-10.5 lbs and that defeats the primary advantage of the 6.5 Creedmoor. You can shoot a magnum round from a 10 lb rifle for about the same recoil as the Creedmoor from a 7 lb rifle.

Which is more important to you. Target shooting or hunting. There are several mid weight hunting rifles that would do very well for target shooting. Much better than a target rifle for hunting. I get the feeling you've not hunted much. A rifle gets heavy,and physical condition means little. The guys most interested in lightweight rifles are the fittest hunters.

Check out some of these guys shooting at a mile with Ruger Predators. Mine is still under 8 lbs scoped.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blcfloZYuig

The Bergara is a good rifle, but I like the Tikka CTR a lot better. It isn't only lighter, but more than likely more accurate to boot. Street price is about $1000. The Tikka will weigh around 8.5 lbs scoped. Even the Tikka T-3 will most likely out shoot the Bergara. It'll weigh under 7 lbs scoped and cost $500-$700. At the moment I'm between these 2 for a "nicer" 6.5 and am leaning toward the CTR.

http://www.tikka.fi/en-us/rifles

Winston Churchill
Old December 12, 2017, 10:23 PM   #4
tango1niner

You could always have your Savage rebarreled with a Hart Rifle Barrel in medium weight sporter contour.
However if the B14 fits your criteria go for it.
Old December 12, 2017, 11:02 PM   #5
HiBC

I don't generally get to a state of "hate" for a cartridge.I do tend to roll my eyes a bit over extreme overbore cartridges.
I don't have a 6.5 Creedmoor.
IIRC.David Tubbs was in on its conception. Priorities included fitting a 2.800 magazine. The .260 does that. But the Creedmoor allows long seating heavy bullets.Shooter fatigue...modest recoil. Good barrel life. The sort of balance that isn't narrow and unforgiving.

A lot of folks have abandoned the idea that 3000 + fps/ft lbs are mandatory.

I think its a good,balanced cartridge that is here to stay. Weight? I like light rifles for hunting. IMO,about 7 lbs is great. Competition has different requirements .I've built rifles with barrels from Featherweight to #3 with Douglas,Shilen,Lilja,Lothar Walther....all delivered excellent hunting accuracy.
Old December 12, 2017, 11:05 PM   #6
QuarterHorse

Awesome input so far fellas!

I pistol shoot mostly, I didn't like GLOCK l, own a bunch, still don't like them haha. I shoot other brands way better and am in the midst of retiring them all.

That Tikka peaks my interest and will be looking into those as well. Thank you very much for the recommendation.

I do hunt, for almost 20 years,, from October thru January on private and public tracts of river bottom and timber. Archery, muzzle loader, and shotgun (no rifle in Iowa other than straight wall). I carry 30-50lbs on my back for tracts of land from 40-400 acres. However I overpack on purpose for those treks and I end up in a tree 15-20 feet off the ground and sit hours on end rather than hiking 6 hours.

Great info guys!
Old December 12, 2017, 11:15 PM   #7
south_ridge

I recommend the Ruger Hawkeye FTW. I bought one several months ago in 6.5 CM and have been very impressed by it. It's probably the most accurate big-game rifle I own.

On top of that, it has a lot of features I like...3-position safety, CRF, adjustable LOP stock, etc. I'm also a big fan of the Ruger Hawkeye triggers. I polished a couple of mating surfaces and swapped out a trigger spring, and now have a trigger pull of about 2.75 pounds from a rugged, open trigger design. For 20 minutes of work and a $6 spring you get about the best hunting trigger imaginable.

SR
Old December 13, 2017, 01:18 AM   #8
FrankenMauser

I don't understand why you have a problem spending money on a light rifle, but no problem dropping $850 retail on a rifle you know little about.

And not all "light rifles" are expensive.
You can pick up a Kimber Hunter 6.5 C, at 5.5 lb, for $800 or less. (sub-MoA guarantee, too)

As for weight...
No matter what the situation is, if I'm going to be carrying the rifle for hours or days, the heavy ones stay at home. Even when I was in the best shape of my life, the 6.5-8 lb rifle was in my hands while the 9-12 lb rifles gathered dust in the safe. I learned the hard way, quickly and early, that extra weight sucks - especially when there's no reason for it.

Don't forget that scopes, bases, rings, slings, ammunition, and anything else you throw on a rifle will add weight. A 9 lb factory rifle is generally going to be near or over 11 lbs in the field. ...Plus whatever extra ammunition and tools are in your pack or pockets.

And, of course, altitude makes ounces feel like pounds. If you're not used to the altitude "out west" (and even if you are, but you're out of shape), your 40 lb pack will feel like a 200 lb gorilla and the 11 lb rifle will feel like a 40 lb pack.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:28 AM   #9
Mobuck

I'll try to not be "catty"(or snarkie).
I've hunted "out west" several times both DIY and guided. The DIY hunts were when I was much younger and extremely fit from hard work. On those, I carried a 7mm RM that I was intimately familiar with but it turned out my shots were all under 200 yards so I could have done as well with a .308.
My 2017 hunt was guided and vehicle based so weight wasn't an issue. I used the same 7mmRM and again, this shot was @ 250 yards(.308 range). In fact, I've shot only 2 elk over 300 yards and both were with 300 WM but the 7mmRM would have done as well.
Plan on carrying the rifle more than shooting it and chose a cartridge that's within your comfort zone. There are places where the average shot will be in the 300 yard range so having that capability is important. The 7mmRM has that capability at the expense of more recoil than a 30/06 or 280 Rem.
You don't have to shoot the magnum extensively to hunt with it and I don't recommend the average hunter to even try that. Shoot the boomer enough to find the load it likes and get to know the platform. After that, it's not necessary to beat yourself up just to stay familiar with it unless you choose to do so.
I found that my preferred 7mmRM load was nearly identical in trajectory and drift to the 25/06 load I use for deer hunting so I get to "practice" as much as I need/want at 25/06 recoil levels.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:15 AM   #10
Charlie98

A friend of mine, who buys the newest, greatest thing, got a RPR in 6.5. I was prepared to not like it, on two fronts... I don't get along well with Ruger firearms, and I just don't see the 6.5CM as All That and a bag of chips.

I will tell you, as a bench gun, the 6.5 is a hoot to shoot. It's easy on the shooter, and it's hard to not make you look like a hero. I was shooting my Savage .308 bolt gun next door, fighting the recoil, trying to do Everything right. I could set at the 6.5, eat a taco, drink a beer, and hit the X-ring all at once, all day long. I don't hunt, so I can't comment on the round on game.

Are there other cartridges that will do the same thing? Sure. The 6.5CM is just a refined cartridge from somewhere else. Is a 6.5CM on my short list? No.

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 13, 2017, 12:14 PM   #11
doofus47

I love the middle of the road 260 Rem that I have. A friend of mine let me play around with his 6.5 Creedmore at the range one day and I like all of the same things about it.

As a guy already "out west," I think that 9 lbs is a bit heavy for humping all day and the 6.5CM is a soft enough shooter that you don't need extra weight to tame recoil.

I like new rifles. I say go for it, but consider tango1niner's suggestion.
Old December 13, 2017, 01:15 PM   #12
Wrought

Imo the 6.5 creedmore is popular because of publicity and the ammo/bullet companies. To me a 6.5×284 ai, a .338 lapua, or maybe even a 300mag are the kings of long range(big 50s dont count). Sure youll get longer barrel life with the cm and its very predictable, but it seems like its tailored for people who dont reload or people who go with the herd and dont know to much. Theres innumerable cartridges that will do what it does better, as for hunting its use is limited to a field gun or in the very big open woods, maybe varminting. If i ever buy a 6.5 youll be sure its a 6.5x55 and not the 6.5 cm.

Edit. It does have the benefit of mild recoil, which would be good if someone is in need of that. It can also be used in an semi or full auto configuration so theres that. You can jave a stockpile of cm ammo for your ar 15 and also shoot it out of your bolt gun; handloading brings it into another realm aswell. On a side note the ol 7.62nato still gets the job done why try fixing something that isnt broke.

Last edited by Wrought; December 13, 2017 at 01:32 PM.
Old December 13, 2017, 01:41 PM   #13
stagpanther

Quote:
but it seems like its tailored for people who dont reload
You mean DO reload, right??
Old December 13, 2017, 01:46 PM   #14
T. O'Heir

Every caliber that "comes out" is usually the answer to an unasked question. Happens because the assorted manufacturers are operated by MBA's who think they must bring out something new regularly or risk losing market share. All these No$ler cartridges do nothing other existing cartridges do not. Ditto for the Creedmoor. It's trendy because it fits both AR style rifles and bolt actions. Short bolt actions.
"...weighs about 9 lbs..." Depends on the terrain. My semi'd M14 with the fibreglass stock weighs 9 pounds empty. Easy to carry. Not so easy if there's a lot of up involved.
Old December 13, 2017, 01:51 PM   #15
stagpanther

The 6.5 creed is the 6.5 grendel's big brother IMO. Design concept very similar. When the Grendel came out it had pretty much the same reactions/responses/criticisms--and it's still around. Northern Europeans have shown that the 6.5 bullet is pretty capable in the right hands as a hunting bullet. I've noticed virtually no difference between the 260 and 6.5 creed (both of which I reload for AR's I built) other than the creed offers a slight advantage in longer seating of the bullets afforded by the further set-back shoulder. In a bolt gun that advantage might not even exist depending on how long a COL you can get (I don't have either in a bolt gun, so that's speculation on my part).
Old December 13, 2017, 02:25 PM   #16
Wrought

You got me there stagpanther hahaha. It is a superb round especially if handloaded i just cant find a need for it.
Old December 13, 2017, 02:59 PM   #17
QuarterHorse

All great info fellas and I do appreciate it.

I understand 9lbs is a lot when I'm going up a mountain. I don't have the thousands of feet in elevation here but sometimes hundreds and that's a lot closer to sea level, but I understand. If I said I'm going with the Kimber in a 6lb rifle the guys on the other side would be slaying me about the gun is too light, the barrel won't hold up, or will start to vary the shot while in a match etc etc....

This gun has to do both right now. That's not saying in a year or two I start shooting more matches, I upgrade barrels or whatever on the next one I buy, then I go buy a fly weight rifle to hike with. I do understand hunting is about a lot of moving around with little shooting. I am aware of what it takes to pack game out and what it means as far as work. I process my own too as I think it's fun.

I did a lot of reading about the Tikka last night while insomnia set in and as I sit at home to do work it still pulls me away to read more on them too. Like I said, all I have are articles on the internet and forums to take the good and the bad and discard and accept the middle road. Gripes I've read on the Bergara, "not as smooth of an action" which you have to consider the source. A lot of regurgitating what you hear I think happens a lot on forums. The negative I hear about the Tikka is the flimsy stock and no bedding blocks. I think I know where I'm going, but, I'll try and handle both first.

I think in the caliber part of the debate it's almost splitting hairs, of course this is my opinion. I don't NEED to get another caliber, it's more of a want. I have 308 guns that I could modify, but something about being a reloader and the 6.5 CM has me sucked in now. Maybe as I've been away from the hobby and just heard about it vs actually researching it, who knows, doesn't matter. Heck, I like the 30 cal stuff being a reloader too, as well as my 45 Colt stuff! Hell I reload for every caliber of gun I have, almost too mcuh, but I like it. Lots of fun calibers to reload for, why not throw another one in there.

Much appreciated on all the info and opinions!
Old December 13, 2017, 04:10 PM   #18
SaxonPig

The 6.5 is all the rage right now. To hear tell it can not only cure all shooting ills but can solve the global warming thing and bring enlightenment to the world. I don't see what so special about it but maybe I'm just too pedestrian.
Old December 13, 2017, 05:45 PM   #19
stagpanther

If I relied on positive net approval for all the calibers and weapons I have--I'd probably wouldn't have any guns at all.
Old December 13, 2017, 05:50 PM   #20
QuarterHorse

Oh I'm not asking approval, just opinion.
Old December 13, 2017, 06:39 PM   #21
stagpanther

Quote:
Oh I'm not asking approval, just opinion.
I would put it this way--can it do anything that some other chambering can't? Probably not. Is it a stellar performing cartridge that is pleasant to shoot and fun to develop loads for? In my opinion, a resounding "yes."
Old December 13, 2017, 07:09 PM   #22
Mobuck

"The 6.5 is all the rage right now. To hear tell it can not only cure all shooting ills but can solve the global warming thing and bring enlightenment to the world. I don't see what so special about it but maybe I'm just too pedestrian."
close to my thoughts also.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:14 PM   #23
hooligan1

Tim Oheir, the Nosler cartridges do everything existing cartridges dare to do, only faster.
Quarterhorse, I have the 6.5 Creemoor built on a mauser action with a #3 contour Douglas barrel.
Its accurate, no recoil really and I never run out of different bullets to test..
Maybe since most who have replied didnt mention the 6.5 SAUM, and the 6.5 PRC, you could check those out also...
Old December 14, 2017, 01:16 AM   #24
dgludwig

Quote:
The 6.5 is all the rage right now. To hear tell it can not only cure all shooting ills but can solve the global warming thing and bring enlightenment to the world. I don't see what so special about it but maybe I'm just too pedestrian.
I have to agree. As much as I like new and novel things, given what all else is out there now and what has been, I just don't see the point in the apparent popularity of the 6.5. Meow.
Old December 14, 2017, 07:41 AM   #25
jetinteriorguy

I'm relatively new to longer range shooting with a bolt action and chose a 6.5 CM. Now, I generally don't follow the crowd, but I got a great deal on this rifle so I figured what the heck. My co worker recently got a membership at Quantico and I go as his guest occasionally. This is the first time in 16 years I've had access to a long range. In one of my first postings about my purchase, one of the replies I received referred to it as the man bun cartridge, now that was hilarious, I like the humor. Now to the point, first day at the 300 yd range. With factory ammo we sighted it in on clays at 300 yds, and once I got it sighted I was easily hitting them better than 50% of the time. I was pretty impressed, even though I've been shooting pistols, rifles, and shotguns for over 50 years I felt pretty good about my results. So we dialed it back to 100 yds on paper, and it was pretty easy to keep everything at sub MOA, and even a couple strings of five in the 1/2 MOA range. Right now with my handloads, I seem to be pretty consistent with 5/8-3/4 MOA other than called flyers. So other than my occasional lapses in technique, I absolutely love the 6.5 CM and would recommend it to anyone who likes things that just plain work. But, if I had been shooting other calibers for years with good success, I wouldn't switch just to be part of a trend.