The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old December 4, 2017, 10:32 PM   #26
hdwhit

Quote:
JeepHammer asked:
I was wondering if anyone else had seen an uptick in buying reloading supplies?
The two places I buy reloading supplies are from sellers in the northern suburbs of Dallas and a couple of local gun stores in North Central Arkansas. The stores in the Dallas area seem to be pretty flush with reloading supplies The small store I stopped at in Sharp County, Arkansas was very well stocked with powder. They had had a run on primers over Thanksgiving and only had Winchester and CCI. No Federal or Remington. The owner said he had not been able to get Remington from his suppliers for some time.
Old December 4, 2017, 11:00 PM   #27
5whiskey

No observed shortage of anything here. I started reloading right after the first Obama panic, and I've pretty much lived with scrounging for powder and shooting with what I could find. I used a lot of less popular powders like hs-6 (actually a superb powder for warm 357 and hot 9mm loads) and 700x form pistol, and win 760 and reloader 10x form heavy and light rifle respectively. What I'm seeing now is mainstream powders on the shelves so I'm not reaching for appropriate load data. Primers are abundant. Life is good right now. Stock up.
Old December 5, 2017, 07:55 AM   #28
USSR

Quote:
Life is good right now. Stock up.
+1. Cuz it won't last.

Don
Old December 5, 2017, 10:24 AM   #29
Real Gun

I have reread the OP a couple times, originally thinking it was a false premise. I now think it all is related to the bad press for ugly black rifles and resulting interest is banning them. That implicates .223 and the reloading components for them.
Old December 5, 2017, 10:27 AM   #30
Tsquared

I took inventory of my primers and powder at the beginning of the year. I have about a 10 year supply of pistol and rifle supplies. I also took inventory of the loaded ammo I have and I have a 3 year inventory stacked away for pistol and 8 year for rifle.

The only thing I have purchased this year is pistol projectiles. I got a 9 month supply on a memorial day sale and a 6 month supply on Black Friday.

I am planning to cut my loaded ammo down to a 1 year supply and primer/powder down to a 5 years supply. The dark years had me impulse buying powders and primers that I should have passed on. Times are good if you are low on supplies but since I am well stocked the only time I will buy is when supplies are dirt cheap.
Old December 5, 2017, 10:33 AM   #31
Real Gun

At some point in our hoarding we stop and deal with the credit card balances.
Old December 5, 2017, 05:47 PM   #32
Evan Thomas

I've deleted a bunch of posts --we don't do SHTF discussions here.
Old December 5, 2017, 06:33 PM   #33
Real Gun

Mentioning a credible reason for more people buying more guns and ammo is legitimate. Going on about it, not so much.
Old December 6, 2017, 12:25 PM   #34
fredvon4

Based on this thread...I did my inventory early
Went looking to replenish primers....boo most of my go to places local and on line are out of my desires

but have enough for a few years

I much prefer to get primers local... haz mat fees are killer

ok worthless post...carry on
Old December 8, 2017, 02:59 PM   #35
JeepHammer

Another 'Horder' just went broke, Sunday I'm going to a dealers sale where 1,400+ firearms & a semi trailer load of ammo is going up for sale...
The entire 2-1/2 story home was stacked floor to ceiling with firearms & ammo when he had a stroke and is now in state care...

This happens every year or two around here, but we don't hear about the private liquidation most times...
Old December 8, 2017, 04:05 PM   #36
RC20

Wow. We have one neighbor who hit the store on powder day during the shortage (grrr) and bought all they had.

His house must be like one huge fizzler ready to go.
Old December 8, 2017, 04:19 PM   #37
Stats Shooter

Quote:
Another 'Horder' just went broke, Sunday I'm going to a dealers sale where 1,400+ firearms & a semi trailer load of ammo is going up for sale...
The entire 2-1/2 story home was stacked floor to ceiling with firearms & ammo when he had a stroke and is now in state care...

So if this is the standard, I am nowhere near horder status. Lets assume each firearm is conservatively worth $500 on average....That would be $700,000 in guns.

Next A 48ft wedge trailer has 3566 cubic feet of storage space. A 50 cal ammo can will hold about 2,000 40 S&W rounds, 1,000 .223 or about 650 .308 rounds. Lets go with .223 just for arguments sake for the estimate. A 50 call ammo can is .3125 ft cubed....so about 1,114 50 cal ammo cans could fit in a tractor trailer give or take and assuming you could stack easily without the handle.

That would be approximately 1.115 Million rounds. And, at about .25-.30 dollars each, you have at least 250-300,000 dollars in ammo. Not counting all the other areas of horded supplies.

So quite literally, this dude has millions of dollars in inventory.
Old December 8, 2017, 07:33 PM   #38
gw44

I live in W/C Michigan no shortage of anything here, I load daily and do not have to want for supplies two LGS are well stocked !!
Old December 8, 2017, 11:02 PM   #39
JeepHammer

I'm late to the party, I just heard about this/got invited on Monday, they have been having sales for 5 weeks now.
One 30' box truck of ammo went with one dealer, one semi trailer got sold to there dealers, another trailer load going this weekend.
I have no idea how much is there, the last guy that did this around here had 8 million rounds & over a ton of powder in jugs.
I missed out on all that, didn't hear about it until it was all long gone.

So far, 1,400 or so rimfire rifles have sold (I thought 1,400 was the total at first) and they still have some. Too bad, rimfires make good gifts for the kids.

They are going to try and get rid of 1,400 more this weekend, mostly military based crap, lots of ARs, lots of Nigants, lots of SKS & AK, thousands of mags...

I have my eye on a Russian sniper rifle w/optics and if any of the ARs aren't total crap, maybe some of them. I'm also interested in the 'Odd Ball' ammo, .44 mag silver tips for $5 a box, some .45-70 for a friend that's a big fan $5 a box, not really interested in the loose 5.56 or 7.62 nato rounds, but there are 8"x4' PVC tubes of loose ammo going for $25 to $75 a tube depending on age/condition.
Might pick up some 9mm or 45 if there is any left...

Apparently the guy had cases of Colt ARs still in the box dated from the 70s all the way up to the 'Farm Store' ARs currently sold... A Colt 'Collector' wound up with everything Colt the first weekend.
I'm interested in two .223 Ruger ARs & two .308 Ruger ARs, not the usual crop of farm store junk.

I'd like to pick up a nice Mauser 98 or two if they have them, but haven't seen any in the pictures, and I'm really interested in the civilian wood stock bolt rifles & shotguns they aren't selling this weekend, so I'll make a second trip if I'm not broke after this weekend...

This guy *Supposedly* bought $200k to $250k a year of this stuff, for years on end.
If I had $200k-$250k of 'disposable' income, I sure wouldn't be busting my hump for a living!

Last edited by JeepHammer; December 8, 2017 at 11:10 PM.
Old December 9, 2017, 12:03 PM   #40
Charlie98

If I had that kind of money to spend on guns and ammo... I would have the time to burn it off! Not to kick the guy while he's down, but... what rationale do you have to have to dump money like that on crap that just sets?

"I have this pistol pointed at your heart!"
"That is my least vulnerable spot."
Old December 9, 2017, 12:10 PM   #41
higgite

Question:
Quote:
what rationale do you have to have to dump money like that on crap that just sets?
Answer:
Quote:
If I had that kind of money...
Old December 9, 2017, 01:07 PM   #42
F. Guffey

Quote:
I've deleted a bunch of posts --we don't do SHTF discussions here.
I must have done a 'SHIP HIT the SAND' post on another forum, one member stated he had little to no funds but enjoyed reading about all the other members spending their money.

I informed the member I was in the middle of making deals on micrometers any way I could and now it looks like I am going to trade for some on them. I had no ideal it was a bad thing but the forum deleted my request for the member to contact me and then and they said I could not post on that forum until next month; by that time the other member could loose interest.

Some of you may have heard of 'the collector', that is not me, I am a collector I am not that one.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; December 9, 2017 at 02:35 PM. Reason: remove be
Old December 9, 2017, 01:32 PM   #43
Idaho Spud

When I have money, I stock up. Never was a panic buyer....and definitely didn't buy when prices were in the stratosphere.
Old December 10, 2017, 12:13 AM   #44
JeepHammer

I accumulate. Occasionally purge.
I not a 'Collector' since I don't have a specific type or kind of firearm I accumulate.
I like brass frame cowboy guns, and I like the older single shot 'Buffalo gun' looking rifles.

The issue is, it's a 'Black Gun' world...
I hit the bank, got cash & I'm off in the morning to see what's left.
If it's nothing but ammo at the right price so I can make a buck, I'll be good with it.
Always looking for that million dollar gun, but probably wouldn't know it if I saw it, so I'm asking Santa for winning lottery tickets again this year
Old December 11, 2017, 09:46 AM   #45
F. Guffey

Quote:
I don't have a specific type or kind of firearm I accumulate.
I made a deal on the micrometers, I did not count them but there has to be at least 60. I had no interest in the digital battery powered type and then there were the gage blocks; money goes further when purchasing manually operated.

Mitutoyo 293-679: They were offering digital micrometers from 1" to 6" inch for $60.00 each. (I did not purchase the battery operated micrometers) Included in the micrometers I acquired were bladed micrometers and indicator micrometers.

It had to do with things we have no control over, a member of another family woke up with no memory of who he was or what he had planned to do that day. He spent most of his life in design and machine shops and then settled on certifying/calibrating precision machinery and gages.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; December 11, 2017 at 10:43 AM.
Old December 11, 2017, 12:43 PM   #46
JeepHammer

Bought a boxed lot of brass, found a 'Ghost Gun' machine in the brass. Don't have the first use for it, would have rather had the brass since it was mostly rimmed handgun brass.
Bought some 855 'Green' Tips simply because they were about 5 cents each.
Firearms were pretty well picked over, not much left I was interested in...

Going again next week when another truck load. 7.62x54R ammo was dirt cheap, 3 to 5 cents a round, but I have zero use for it.
7.62x39R was 5 bucks a box/20, everything from 'Bear' to battlefield cans of military surplus.
Again, zero interest.

Just crap loads of .38spl reloads, which sold for more than I'd pay for unknown reloads!
If it were cheap enough I would have broke them for bullets & cases, but they paid stupid money for them.

Got several boxes of .30-06 Win Silver tips for $5 a box, that was a good deal...
No powder or primers, already gone, no reloading machines, already gone, none of the ARs left except for some (poorly) assembled units that went for $550 each (no way I'd pay $550 for mismatched, mostly used parts!).

Supposed to be more fired brass next week, and supposed to be some wood stock firearms instead of the old beat up military bolt action (Russian) and poorly assembled 'Black' guns...
I just picked the wrong weekend, and I'm about 5 weeks late to the party, but at least I got an invite this time and didn't miss out entirely!
I usually hear about this AFTER it's all over...
Old December 13, 2017, 09:24 AM   #47
jersurf101

The last estate sale I went to pricing on brass and reloading equipment was sky high. 130.00 for 1000 ct tarnished .38 special. 30.00 per 100ct. Lead .45 projectiles might has well been made of pure gold. I felt bad for the old woman who let the pawn shop owner over price everything. You make no money on what you don't sell and she sure wasn't selling anything.
Old December 14, 2017, 06:18 PM   #48
Rifletom

Thanks Evan Thomas. That was needed.
Idaho Spud: I like your thinking. It's what I do.
Old December 21, 2017, 04:09 PM   #49
Evan Thomas

More posts deleted, and another reminder: both politics and insults are off-limits here.
Old December 21, 2017, 04:15 PM   #50
F. Guffey

Kreeper. If I typed something that useless I would get demerits.

I got the stack of micrometers down to where I can handle it, basically it was a 30 gal galvanized metal can full. I counted 80 and then I quit counting.

F. Guffey
Closed Thread