The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 23, 2017, 08:52 PM   #1
Psychedelic Bang

Civillian body cams as they relate to carry

Hi Peoples, Happy Thanksgiving

I was wondering if any civilians who carry - concealed, or open depending on your state; wears, or is considering wearing a body cam

I myself have been considering going this route. Pros and cons? Thoughts? Legalities? I believe audio recording would be a violation of (FWTL) Federal Wire Tap Law.

I think its a whole new market for the camera companies. I need something extremely discreet and affordable. I would love something that 99.9% of people could not notice was a camera
Old November 23, 2017, 08:57 PM   #2
Sharkbite

If you can video tape then audio is not an issue. Here in Co, you may vid/audio tape anyplace you have a legal right to be.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:57 PM   #3
Aguila Blanca
Staff

I believe federal law requires the consent of only one of the parties to record an interaction. However, most of the states have parallel laws. Last I knew, there were twelve states (or which my home state is one, unfortunately) that require the consent of both (or all) parties. I don't think there is any easy, simple, one-size-fits-all answer to your question.

I also don't think body cams fall under "wiretapping" laws, because you are not intercepting communication between two (or more) other parties. If you are wearing a body cam, you are recording people's interactions with you.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:26 PM   #4
tony pasley

The video taping in public where there is no expectation of privacy is okay, it is the audio that conflicts between federal laws and the different state laws that abound. In some states you can get a longer prison sentence for audio recording that an illegal firearm. Be sure of the laws in your state.
Old November 23, 2017, 09:58 PM   #5
TXAZ

Here's a reporter's guide to tape recording in various states.

WHERE CAN WE TAPE?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 23, 2017, 11:18 PM   #6
khegglie

^^^

Thanks ; Good info!
Old November 24, 2017, 11:20 AM   #7
Glenn E. Meyer

There has been some thought to adding cameras to guns themselves that activate on the draw. For a civilian - what is your proposed utility? It will be visible and will you activate it in a critical incident. For police, it's when they go forth to do something law enforcement like. Get out of the car, enter a house, etc.

When will you trigger it? Note, it might just show that you are the bad guy. It has happened to the police.

If the shoot is ambiguous, one might argue that you carried the camera as you wanted to instigate a fight or look for dangerous situations and was trying to back up your actions.

There was a case of a guy who told everyone that saying: 'I am in fear of my life and this isn't a duty to retreat, castle state' would give him a get out of jail card, in his words. Didn't work for him. It was used to show he was looking for a fight and then would say his magic spell.

Now security cameras at home might be a good idea.
Old November 24, 2017, 01:51 PM   #8
TXAZ

So the prosecutor is going to ask you, "Mr. Bang, is it true you put the camera on your gun so you could enjoy watching the murder over and over again, or is it that you were trying to show MaryJo Rottencrotch what a real man you are?"

The civil suit will be less kind words.

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old November 24, 2017, 02:15 PM   #9
Psychedelic Bang

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
So the prosecutor is going to ask you, "Mr. Bang, is it true you put the camera on your gun so you could enjoy watching the murder over and over again, or is it that you were trying to show MaryJo Rottencrotch what a real man you are?"

The civil suit will be less kind words.

Wowzers.... I really learn a lot of stuff at this forum..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn E. Meyer View Post
Now security cameras at home might be a good idea.
Have them.. and an alarm system. whole 9 yards :-)
Old November 24, 2017, 09:16 PM   #10
DMK

Quote:
There has been some thought to adding cameras to guns themselves that activate on the draw. For a civilian - what is your proposed utility? It will be visible and will you activate it in a critical incident. For police, it's when they go forth to do something law enforcement like. Get out of the car, enter a house, etc.
For a civilian, I'd think that what happened right before you drew your weapon might be more important if you are using the footage to prove self defense.

If the camera shows an antagonist acting aggressively and that you tried everything you could to de-escalate or retreat before going to a deadly weapon, that could be evidence that using deadly force was a last resort. None of that would show up on a camera that activated only when you drew your weapon.

Quote:
"Mr. Bang, is it true you put the camera on your gun so you could enjoy watching the murder over and over again
The question of why you had a camera on your body is a sticky one though. If your friend/GF/Wife happened to film an altercation with a smartphone, that's one thing and may be accepted these days, but actively putting a camera on your body to film your life might be hard to defend in front of a jury. Most people just don't think that way and would probably find it creepy at least and premeditation at worst.

Police don't have body cams by choice. They are forced to wear them by administrators and politicians. When someone chooses to film everyone around them, that doesn't sit well with most people. Just look at the reaction people had to Google Glass.
Old November 24, 2017, 11:40 PM   #11
CalmerThanYou

No offense intended, but the idea seems a bit odd. Outside your home, in public places you are on some sort of camera more often than not anyway.
Old November 25, 2017, 12:23 AM   #12
tony pasley

Body cam. I would not do but even though I am retired I still keep a dashcam with a terrabite hard drive in my vehicle.