The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2020, 09:20 PM   #26
langenc

Be careful outside for defensive activity. If the perp is 'outside' the threat may well be over, but not always.
Old August 14, 2020, 11:49 AM   #27
JLK

Where did you read the information on using that ammo with a modified choke ?

Last edited by JLK; August 14, 2020 at 12:05 PM.
Old August 26, 2020, 12:47 PM   #28
RMcL

The question of how Flite-Control buckshot patterns are affected by choke constriction is often asked. This video from Buffalo's Outdoors is one of the better comparisons I've run across. Here cylinder through full chokes are compared with loads representing the polar opposites of buckshot load design on the market. The results are consistent with what my own patterning has shown.

Jump to frame 9:55 to view the results of this 20 yard patterning comparison.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjWcB79Bp2s
Old August 27, 2020, 09:31 AM   #29
natman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezerbiker View Post
What ever you shoot, practice, practice, practice... Also buck shot is too much for indoor defense at those ranges. Even #8 bird shot will penetrate interior walls at this distance so practice is all that more important.

Years ago I had a roommate that was a former cop and he showed me how he loaded his shotgun. The first 2 rounds out of the tube were #8, followed by 2 #4, then 1 BB, then a 00 Buck and last but not least a slug. I bought the same model gun and I load mine pretty much the same today.
Shooting any gun indoors is dangerous. So you have to be sure that you don't miss, and practice helps a lot. However, you should select your load based on how it's going to work if you don't miss.

Any kind of staggered loading shows indecision and a lack of confidence. If you need a shotgun, it's the worst possible time to start experimenting until you find something that works. Make up your mind and fill the shotgun with it. (hint: 2 3/4" 00 Buck).