The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old August 14, 2020, 02:39 PM   #26
KyJim

Since the opinion only deals with California law, it directly applies only to California. It would carry precedential weight in federal courts located in states comprising the 9th Circuit unless overturned en banc or by the Supreme Court.

Lawsuits would have to filed in each of the other 9th Circuit states since each state law is different and each state might argue there are different facts (hard to see what those might be).
Old August 14, 2020, 03:13 PM   #27
Tennessee Gentleman

Seems like every time three judges from the 9th make a good ruling the en banc overturns it. Deja Vu all over again.
Old August 14, 2020, 03:54 PM   #28
RETG

You can bet a large sum that the state's DA is currently typing and getting ready to submit for an en banc review of the full circuit. And in the old days it would be most likely be voided, moved to SCOTUS and then the ninth would be told to stuff it.
However, Trump has been packing the ninth with some conservatives so who knows. But I bet it will end up at SCOTUS one way or the other.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old August 14, 2020, 04:00 PM   #29
SHR970

Either I missed something or this belongs in its own thread. At issue here is CPC32310 which has nothing to do with mail order ammunition sales and everything to do with standard capacity (ie. over 10 round for many guns) magazines.
Old August 14, 2020, 05:18 PM   #30
Bartholomew Roberts

Oops, SHR970 is correct. Same judge in both rulings; but different 2A cases.