The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 14, 2018, 01:21 PM   #1
zukiphile

AR15: Would a 60 safety/selector switch solve my first world problem?

To flip the selector on an AR to safe, the usual switch must be rotated 90 degrees from vertical to horizontal. This requires that I contort my hand each time. While not the worst burden a fellow could bear, it is a much less natural movement than the sweeping thumb movement for the safety on a 1911.

As much as I don't care for most "improvements" on ARs (I will not buy an AR pistol grip when the plain plastic A2 grip is great and essentially free), I wonder whether there are any disadvantages to a 60 degree safety/selector switch.

Has anyone used one and found a problem? Has anyone used one and found its use no more comfortable?
Old November 14, 2018, 02:28 PM   #2
kymasabe

I have pretty big mitts so reach with a mil-spec safety hasn't been a problem for me. I've tried 60 degree safeties and they feel wrong to me somehow. Too many years of 90 degrees I guess. These days, how a safety feels is far more important to me than who makes it or what it looks like. Some of the worst safeties I owned were the big name ones I paid the most for.
Bottom line is...its subjective. What works for me may not work for you. For instance, you like the A2 grip. I despise them, I immediately remove them. Buy a 60 degree and toss it in, see if you like it. It's the only way you're gonna end up with a drawer full of useless AR parts like the rest of us.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:26 PM   #3
zukiphile

I have a lot of regard for the original AR idea of a light 20 inch barreled rifle with a fixed stock that gives good practical accuracy. It's when we turn them into varmint rifles or short barrelled entry weapons that we sort of lose the theme.

I've a brother who loves his magpul super extra special pistol grip; we have a lively disagreement on the topic despite sharing the same XXL glove size. The one aspect that seems unnatural to me is the idea that I should sweep the safety on with a backward motion with the pad of my thumb rather than an upward motion with the first knuckle.
Old November 14, 2018, 03:36 PM   #4
Mobuck

An AR is an AR NOT a 1911. Trying to make the safety work the same is questionable. I have small(ish) hands and the AR safety is a stretch at times but I'm OK with a positive movement being required to disengage the safety lever. The 90* movement and on/off positions being apparent both visually and tactile is undeniable.
Old November 14, 2018, 04:27 PM   #5
kymasabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
The one aspect that seems unnatural to me is the idea that I should sweep the safety on with a backward motion with the pad of my thumb rather than an upward motion with the first knuckle.
Well, one product you may want to consider is the Strike Industries Strike Switch. It's ambi, if you like that kinda thing, and has an end plate if you're not. It's also designed to be able to turn the safety "on" more instinctively and comfortably. And it has a 60/90 shaft so you can mount it in either configuration.
Here's some info on it: https://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...ke-switch.html
Old November 15, 2018, 11:20 AM   #6
imashooter

You can go push button. https://www.rainierarms.com/elftmann...-speed-safety/
Old November 15, 2018, 11:44 AM   #7
zukiphile

So far as I've found, no one makes a plain steel non-ambidextrous selector that differs from the ordinary item only in the length the lever sweeps. Nearly everything is extended or shorter, or has a lot of very sharp edges.

Strike Industries does make an ambidextrous selector with lever that looks to be essentially the same shape and size as the ordinary one. It even looks as if one could omit the weak side switch plate so it could be installed and removed like a normal switch.

https://www.strikeindustries.com/sho...ee-3-in-1.html
Old November 15, 2018, 12:34 PM   #8
rallyhound

joe bob outfitters sell an ambi that can be 60 or 90 degree throw for 10 bucks.

all my ars have them now.
levers can be switched from side to side as needed.

Free" men do not ask permission to bear arms.
Old November 15, 2018, 03:50 PM   #9
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RH
joe bob outfitters sell an ambi that can be 60 or 90 degree throw for 10 bucks.
That's the one that sparked my curiosity. For $10, I can fill in the weak side with JB Weld and not feel that I've ruined anything valuable.
Old November 15, 2018, 06:40 PM   #10
kymasabe

What about grip angle? Would a magpul k2 grip help?
Old November 15, 2018, 09:16 PM   #11
zukiphile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuriator
"Contort"? Seriously?
Not particularly. Note the thread title. Even the little fellow in your video has the problem; it doesn't get better for those with longer thumbs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kymasabe
What about grip angle? Would a magpul k2 grip help?
It could be just my familiarity with the A2, but my brother's Magpul K isn't comfortable. I use a low grip and curl my trigger finger back so I am using the tip of my index finger. That isn't a way anyone would hold a pistol, and grips that model pistol ergonomics aren't my preference.
Old November 16, 2018, 12:12 PM   #12
imashooter

Quote:
I have a lot of regard for the original AR idea of a light 20 inch barreled rifle with a fixed stock that gives good practical accuracy. It's when we turn them into varmint rifles or short barrelled entry weapons that we sort of lose the theme.

I've a brother who loves his magpul super extra special pistol grip; we have a lively disagreement on the topic despite sharing the same XXL glove size. The one aspect that seems unnatural to me is the idea that I should sweep the safety on with a backward motion with the pad of my thumb rather than an upward motion with the first knuckle.
Theme? What theme? No "theme". Only updates and upgrades. Going from "safe" to "fire" is about as simple as it gets.
Old November 24, 2018, 08:51 PM   #13
zukiphile

[QUOTE-rallyhound]joe bob outfitters sell an ambi that can be 60 or 90 degree throw for 10 bucks.

all my ars have them now.
levers can be switched from side to side as needed. [/QUOTE]

I installed one today and it does allow engagement without breaking grip. At $10 it seems a reasonable value.