The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old February 13, 2017, 09:06 AM   #26
Jack O'Conner

I mounted a Simmons Pro Diamond scope on my Mossberg slug gun with no problems at all. I paid less than $75.00 on eBay.

Jack

Old February 13, 2017, 11:21 AM   #27
Dunsouth

I agree some folks don't need high dollar glass. I am no optics snob. I have a Bass pro cheapo AR scope on my 556 as I only use it for practice. Fine for the range and I have a back up iron sights. On my hunting rigs I like to have the best glass I think will do the job without spending a fortune. My Weaver glass is far better than the Bushnell and Simmons I have had in the past. That being said, I have never spent over $300 on an optic. Plenty of guys using sub $100 scopes out there and plenty using $600+. I think the advantage of the fixed power scopes is lower cost for better glass and it is a great option for guys on a budget.
Old February 13, 2017, 10:16 PM   #28
lefteye

I recommend the Leupold VX-1 shotgun scope, 1-4 variable power, $229.99 at Cabela's. It enabled me to take my best 10 point whitetail with a shotgun at 125 yards, running and quartering away. (My biggest 10 point whitetail is a Pope & Young taken with a bow.) Cabela's also has a Nikon Prostaff shotgun scope, 2-7 variable power for $159.99. I believe 6 or 7 power is excessive for shotguns even shooting sabot slugs with a rifled barrel.
Old February 14, 2017, 12:11 AM   #29
honcho

I had a leupold vx2 1x4 20mm mounted on a browning gold for several years. The only complaint I had with the scope was low light conditions, the first half/last half hour of hunting were useless on overcast days as I couldn't pick up anything looking thru scope.

I swapped it out with a Redfield 2-7 33mm and that took care of the issue. The Redfield lines are nice scopes
Old February 14, 2017, 01:26 AM   #30
Water-Man

https://swfa.com/optics/browse/rifle...gun-scope.html

Good scope for the money.