The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 10, 2006, 09:44 PM   #1
halruaa

Very new to reloading. The classic Lee Loader?

Whats everyone's opinion on these kits? I was thinking of getting one for 30-30 win. I plan on light shooting, maybe 100 rounds a month, so I dont think I need 500 dollars worth of equipment to save money. But these kits look promising. Thoughts?

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...leeloader.html
Old April 10, 2006, 10:49 PM   #2
rwilson452

Lee Classic loader

IMNSHO the lee loader is good for a bug out bag. but otherwise I would go with a real press and dies. the lee anniversary kit is cheap and a deffinate step above the lee loader. If you don't have a bench to mount it one a rig can be made with a 2X10 and a couple of "C" clamps to mount it to the kitchen table.
Even at a 100 rounds a month I think the loader will not be satisfactory in short order. If you can go the bucks the Turret press would be ideal I would think. It also comes in a kit form. The Lee safety scale is accurate but a PITA to read.
Old April 10, 2006, 11:23 PM   #3
Leftoverdj

What RWilson said. The Classic Lee Loader is fine for the guy who just wants to get his toes wet or the three box a year hunter. It only neck sizes so you would only get 3-4 shots out of .30-30 brass. You need a press to full length size.

btw, Lee stuff is available at substantial discounts from places like MidSouth and Midway. Don't order directly from Lee.
Old April 11, 2006, 02:49 AM   #4
halruaa

What about the hand press kit, or the challenger press kit?

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/cata...nniversaryPack
(need to scroll up maybe)

If I get one of those, I will still need the dies to fit for 30-30 correct?
Old April 11, 2006, 08:50 AM   #5
Leftoverdj

The kit that most of us suggest to beginners is the Lee Anniversary Press kit. It's a more complete version of the Challenger kit and can be had for about $80. You will need a set of dies and .30-30 shellholders for both the press and the autoprime with that, making the total about $100. That's the best way into reloading on a limited budget.

If even that is out of the question, consider the Hand Press or the Anniversary Package. I find the Hand Press awkward, but some like it. The little Reloader Press is given away with a copy of the loading manual and you get both for about $20. I've had one for many years and use it a lot for the lighter jobs. It's not nearly the press that the Challenger is, but it's good enough to get you started.

With any of this stuff, it's important that you follow the instructions on lubicating.
Old April 11, 2006, 09:32 AM   #6
AFshooter

I've got a Classic Lee loader in 9mm. I love it.
Old April 11, 2006, 09:59 AM   #7
caz223

I used the lee loader (Hammer type.) for years.
If you're really cruising along, you can load 50 rounds an hour using the little lee loader and a plastic hammer. (Using the provided dipper.)
If you use the dipper as the starting point and use a trickler to hit the desired grain weight, you'll really struggle to hit 50 an hour.
If you use a powder measure to dispense the powder and a scale just to check it's drops, you may break 60 or 65 an hour.
You WILL set off a primer or two hammering in primers, so if you don't like wearing safety glasses, or are paranoid of primers then get yourself a hand priming tool.
The tiny lee 'c' press is basically free, so if you have the space for it, by all means get you some.
No matter what you get, you will need some basic equipment.
You will need a scale. No matter what it says in the little lee loader book about using dippers, you will want to know how much powder you're using.
Old April 11, 2006, 10:34 AM   #8
Donaldo

halruaa, here's my $.02; if you've never handloaded before, look at used equipment. Just make sure it isn't all rusted, seized, deformed, etc.

I bought a complete set up (minus dies and bullets, cases, powder, and primers) for $75. It isn't by any means new (some of the equipment can be dated back to I think the early `60's by the original boxes it was still kept in), but it was in good shape. I've reloaded about 400 rounds on it, and it works fine. The same set up would have cost me about $350 to buy all new stuff.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old April 11, 2006, 01:56 PM   #9
halruaa

Thanks for the advice.

Mainly I want to try out reloading for a little bit, that and I wont be shooting very often anyway. So I've decided between the classic lee loader kit(in 30-30) or the hand press kit. Although if I get the hand press kit, what else will I need that it doesnt come with?

And also, where can I buy bulletheads/primers/powder from?

Last edited by halruaa; April 11, 2006 at 03:06 PM.
Old April 11, 2006, 06:05 PM   #10
Donaldo

I buy most of my stuff from midwayusa.com. I get my powder and primers from a local shop so I don't have to pay hazmat fees amd special shipping fees.

About the handloader, I've heard it can be pretty damn hard to resize bottlenecked cases since they sometimes require a good bit of force. I was looking at the handloader myself before I found my used equipment, and after doing some resizing I was glad I didn't get the handloader.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old April 11, 2006, 06:15 PM   #11
Russ5924

Just my two cents but I started with the Lee Classic reloader when I started loading pistol ammo .That was five years ago and still use it today for just short runs of a 100 or so.I could load easy about 150 and hour of .38/.357 had the four die with Auto indexing, was always glad I bought it and still enjoy using it
Old April 11, 2006, 07:26 PM   #12
halruaa

so i've narrowed it down pretty much to the hand loader kit.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=624416

Now, what kind of dies do I need? What about a seater? This is still pretty new to me, so im unsure if I might leave anything out. But I was also looking at this die set.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=251154

And finally, for brass and bulletheads:
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=209526
http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...eitemid=157469

I figure ill just buy the powder / primers from a local dealer.

How does that look??
Old April 11, 2006, 08:09 PM   #13
45-70

Some way to measure powder?

If you get the more expensive 3-die set from Lee, it comes with a powder dipper and a powder chart showing how much to use of various kinds of powders. Otherwise, you need the set of powder dippers (improved powder measure). I'd get the Lee balance beam scale, instead though. It's only about $10 more than the dipper set, and more versatile.
Old April 11, 2006, 08:22 PM   #14
halruaa

Hmm I think thats what mine is. Its called the Lee Pacesetter 3-die Set 30-30 Winchester. Price, $19.29

When I check technical specifications it says:

Material: Steel

Die Types Included:
# Sizer Die (with "unbreakable" decapping unit)
# Factory Crimp Die
# Bullet Seater and Roll Crimp Die

Accessories:
# Shellholder
# Powder Dipper
# Load Data Sheet
# Plastic Container

Notes:
# Adjustable crimp from slight taper to full roll.
Old April 13, 2006, 04:45 AM   #15
airmanbell

from someone that has one...

Just a word on the good ol' classic loader

I bought one for my 30.06, It's fine to load about 20 rounds in a sitting, and it's cheap! The only problem I had was reloading mil brass, just make sure you remove the crimps on it, otherwise you get a bang. Scared the heck out of me a few times. Never had that probelm using rem brass (or any other uncrimped bras).

I highly recomend one! It's a great tool, and got me into the hobby rather cheaply. I've got a dillon 550b now, and still won't buy a die set for my press. I'm still using the handloader, because the magnum powder I use doesnt like measures. What i'm trying to say, is since I have to measure out the powder by hand anyway, it only takes a few extra seconds to prime, deprime, and seat the bullet using the kit.

Thats the one other thing, if ya get one (and for 15 bucks, why the heck not!) don't use the powder measures you can get with em, buy a scale, at least the cheap one dillion has. I found a good used beam scale for 35 bucks at my local gun store.
Old April 13, 2006, 07:28 AM   #16
308SORRELS

there is nothing wrong with the Challenger Kit or if you want you can piece a setup toghether using e-bay. halruaa where are you at I have a couple old press I am not using