The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 4, 2006, 01:11 PM   #1
Donaldo

Converting brass

Has anyone had any luck using any other caliber other than .284 Win to make 7.5 Swiss brass?
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old April 4, 2006, 04:52 PM   #2
Leftoverdj

I know of no other suitable brass. Only the .284 and the 7.5x55 share the same oversized body and rebated rim.
Old April 4, 2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Donaldo

Correct me if I am wrong (i may very well be), but only the .284 Win has a rebated rim (rim is smaller diameter than rest of case).

When I mic the GP-11's I have I find a rim diameter of .494", and the case directly above the rim (after the extraction groove) mic's out at .494" as well.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old April 4, 2006, 10:33 PM   #4
Dave R

Donaldo is correct. The big difference between 7.5 Swiss brass and reformed .284Win brass is that the .284Win rim is slightly rebated, and slightly smaller than the Swiss rim.

However, I have never heard of a problem casued by the difference. Apparently, the Swiss extractor can deal with it just fine.
Old April 4, 2006, 11:16 PM   #5
Donaldo

Cool, thanks for the clarification Dave.
Old April 9, 2006, 03:04 AM   #6
Scorch

When you get tired of hunting for 284 brass and reforming it, you might want to just buy factory brass for the 7.5X55 Swiss from Hornady.

But what will you do with all your spare time after that?
Old April 9, 2006, 08:46 AM   #7
donkee

Quote:
When you get tired of hunting for 284 brass and reforming it, you might want to just buy factory brass for the 7.5X55 Swiss from Hornady.

But what will you do with all your spare time after that?
Funny, when I pickup new, unfired brass, I run it through the FL sizer anyway. With the .284 -> 7.5 reforming process, I simply add more lube and push a bit harder. No real time savings that I can see. They come out perfectly every time. The big plus for me though is that the Win .284 brass seems to last forever.........