The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 25, 2008, 10:29 PM   #76
MeekAndMild

With all due respect, if you hang the deer by his back legs or put him up on the tailgate of the truck all the gore just falls out into your garbage can or wash tub when you open the chest. My opinion is that it is much better to have all the blood in the deer's chest where you can wash it out than to have it congealed in the meat so that you have to soak every roast and steak before you can stand to cook it. :barf:
In a few years when the dust finally clears and people start counting their change there is a pretty good chance that President Obama may become known as The Great Absquatulator. You heard it first here on TFL.
Old March 29, 2008, 12:37 AM   #77
rhgunguy

I always go for the vitals. Missing by a half inch on a head shot can mean letting a deer with no bottom jaw go running into the woods to die of starvation. I have seen the remnants of one and it is not pretty. Depending on caliber, neck shots are also not always fatal.

That being said, I have only ever seen two deer die where they stood and both shots were taken with sabot slugs at medium range to the vitals. When I say to the vitals I mean through both lungs and the heart completly destroyed.