The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 18, 2008, 11:19 PM   #1
ELMOUSMC

Coyote or not to Coyote?

I recently developed a load for my .22hornet and it is devastating on pigeons off my neighbors barn it litterly blows them to pieces.Now come the questions I have a velocity at 150 yds of 2189 fps and an impact force of around 373 ft/lbs.I know what it does to feathers!But will the 35 gr V-max have the penetration to knock down and anchor a songdog?Will I have to go for head shots?Will the bullet blow up on bone and just wound?I know this load will be hell on Ground Hogs and such.Hope you can give me some answers Thanks ELMOUSMC
Old March 19, 2008, 08:47 AM   #2
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Unless I had a perfect rest/hold in the field, I'd probably limit any Hornet load to around a hundred yards on a coyote. Shouldn't be any problem. I've met a few hide hunters who call them in fairly close and do head shots with a .22 Magnum rimfire.

Art
Old March 19, 2008, 05:32 PM   #3
rhgunguy

Considering that .17 HMR is considered the new gold standard for coyotes around here, I think that you should be able to take them at a hundred yards or so with your load.