The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2017, 09:45 PM   #51
highpower3006

Quote:
Let me ask you something why do you even care what other people carry?
I guess I touched a nerve there huh? Honestly, it would be nearly impossible for me to care any less what gun you carry, or for that matter, care what you, or anyone else thinks.

I see too many people out there that seem to equate carrying higher capacity guns and a slew of extra magazines with some how being more prepared. I carry a gun for the same reason I make sure I have a spare tire with air in it and the tools to change a flat tire if I get one. When you need it, nothing else will do.

What I was trying to point out is that having more ammo isn't going to make you safer. What will make you safer is paying attention to what is going on around you and making a conscious effort to watch for, and avoid possible situations where you may have problems. In other words it's like having enough common sense to know that it would probably be a bad idea to drive your passenger car down a four wheel drive trail.

Hey, if you like to carry a heavier gun with more ammo and it makes you feel better, more power to you. I prefer to carry something that is easy for me to have with me all the time vs a larger heavier gun that may or may not get left behind due to it's size or appropriateness for the clothes I am wearing that day.
Old August 6, 2017, 09:58 PM   #52
Danoobie

Concealibility is the enemy of all the other desirable traits
in a carry gun. At some point each of us makes the decision
what is right for them. I decided I would rather carry full size.
Am I right? Not for anybody but me. I struggle with holsters, and
wardrobe adjustments.

I have an old friend who carries a .25ACP. Is he right? For him, yes.
His EDC is small, and very conveniently concealable.
Old August 6, 2017, 10:45 PM   #53
Bilbo463

Choosing a concealed carry firearm is a very personal thing.....kind of like picking out a new pair of shoes. I carry at the appendix and tend to favor mid sized firearms. My primary pistols for carry are an all steel Commander size 1911, a Browning Hi Power and a Glock 19. I carry the 1911 or Hi Power every day. I'm 5"7", 160 lbs and nearly 70 years old. The Glock 19 is my hiking, fishing, camping, cutting the grass pistol.....one I don't mind sweating all over. I live near Dallas and it was 99 degrees today....
Old August 7, 2017, 01:57 AM   #54
JoeSixpack

Quote:
Originally Posted by highpower3006 View Post
I guess I touched a nerve there huh?
Not exactly I just get sick of being stereo typed with statements like this.
Quote:
I think capacity is over rated in a carry gun. Are you going around into bad neighborhoods looking for a gunfight?
Quote:
Honestly, it would be nearly impossible for me to care any less what gun you carry, or for that matter, care what you, or anyone else thinks.
If that's true this site is a weird place to visit.. a message board.. ya know.. a place to exchange information and ideas.

Quote:
I see too many people out there that seem to equate carrying higher capacity guns and a slew of extra magazines with some how being more prepared. I carry a gun for the same reason I make sure I have a spare tire with air in it and the tools to change a flat tire if I get one. When you need it, nothing else will do.
Wow the irony In that paragraph, You carry a gun because sometimes you need one, but having more capacity does not equal more prepared.

Listen can you think of anything a 6 shot pocket gun can do that a 12, 15, 17 shot fullsize gun can't? I mean other then being easier to conceal by virtue of size?

You could argue that a small conceal carry gun will be enough, and in most situations that's probably true, the problem is we don't get to choose the situation.. If we're in need of our gun all else has failed, You're probably not in control of the setting.

Now im not trying to convert you to carrying a larger gun, Carry what ever works for you, what ever you're comfortable with, I just don't like it when people rationalize their carry choice at the expense of those of us who carry more then the minimum.

Quote:
What I was trying to point out is that having more ammo isn't going to make you safer. What will make you safer is paying attention to what is going on around you and making a conscious effort to watch for, and avoid possible situations where you may have problems. In other words it's like having enough common sense to know that it would probably be a bad idea to drive your passenger car down a four wheel drive trail.
I don't disagree paying attention will get you out of more jams then any gun, What I have a problem with is the idea that those who carry larger guns either think they're rambo, are paranoid or looking for a fight, or in your particular case you seem to assume more bullets = less brains.

Am I better off IF the worse happens and there's a gun fight with a larger gun and more rounds.. absolutely! to argue otherwise is illogical and disingenuous.
Old August 7, 2017, 07:42 AM   #55
dean1818

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDR_Glock View Post
I carry two firearms: a Snubby 357 Magnum in the pocket and a Glock 19 MOS with an RMR, IWB.

IF you want power, there's nothing that can beat a 357 Magnum Snubby from a pocket holster. Weighing 23-24 ounces for a stainless steel revolver, it has enough weight to handle the load. The lack of an exposed hammer prevents snagging, and the short barrel is harder to grasp for an attacker. It can be shot from within a jacket pocket, but I tend to pocket carry mine in an Uncle Mike's size 4. The beauty of a revolver is it can be fired on contact, as necessary, unlike a semiauto, which might jam. When I pocket carry, I frequently have my hands in my pockets, anyways, ready to draw anyways.

I have carried my Sig Sauer P238 at times, in the past. I have loaded it with Buffalo Bore 95 grain +P ammo. Though it's easily concealable, and it handles recoil extremely well, it's not typically my first choice for defense. But it's better than a rock or knife.

As for my other concealed carry pistol, it's a Glock 19 with 15 rounds. Why do I carry two? Because I don't have any viable solution for spare magazines. If one were to malfunction, I have an alternative.

Again, it's a last resort to even consider deadly force. It's just the peace of mind and being prepared that gives me comfort.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Having a pocket pistol as a backup is a good choice (NY reload)

I do wonder about the effectiveness of a 357Magnum in a snubby barrel

I think you do get some improvement over a 38, but you do lose potential
(it shows up as a fireball) of the round in such a short barrel.

I would also worry about my permanent hearing, if I had to fire a shortbarrel 357 indoors - I guess being deaf is better than dead

Buying American made, wherever I still can
Old August 7, 2017, 08:08 AM   #56
CDW4ME

I assume if I'm ever having to defend myself, my attacker(s) are armed, likely psychotic, sociopath, drugged, or combination of those undesirable traits.
380 has about 160# KE
9mm has about 350# KE
357 Sig about 500# KE
Same diameter bullet, I think there is no disagreement that 9mm or 357 Sig qualifies as "harder hitting" than 380.
I want my bullets as "hard hitting" as possible, more likely stop attacker(s) ASAP.

For armed sociopath attacker(s) high on meth / bath salts some people pick 380 as 1st choice defacto defense because that is what they carry.
Think your attacker(s) more likely be a "normal" person on the way to work that suddenly decides to mug someone, I think not.

My preferred use for a 380 is as a 2nd option in pocket to a Glock 32 carried IWB.

There are some situations where a 380 is the best one can do, have to wear dress pants to work with tucked in shirt, well then that is best you can do.
Not the same as "I think I'll dress nice to eat at Olive Garden (wherever) so I'll just carry a 380", that is a choice, not one I would make.
Psycho meth heads could show up in parking lot of that restaurant, if you don't think it possible why are you carrying.
Its hot outside, I'm just going to carry a pocket 380 while running errands, I don't feel like carrying something better - nope, nope, nope, - not me.
Sociopath high on bath salts could show up at that place "where nothing ever happens" if you don't think it possible, why are you carrying.

Opposing view:
CDW4ME You are wrong! I predict I'll face a lone, anemic, unmotivated attacker, they ain't even got caffeine in them, and will run away at the sight of my pocket pistol, or be easily incapacitated after a couple rounds of 380 FMJ.
Old August 7, 2017, 08:51 AM   #57
Danoobie

I have to agree with highpower3006, inasmuch as SA is far more important
than mag capacity. Tools are supposed to help you, not compensate for your
carelessness. As such, I'd rather avoid a bad situation, than have to shoot my
way out of it.
Old August 9, 2017, 08:06 AM   #58
Carl the Floor Walker

No matter which gun you carry, Frequent, dilligent training is a must. I train often, I feel that because of this frequent training, I have become proficient with my carry gun, and carry all the time. I will continue to believe that the beast may raise his head any time, any place. No, reality says I will not strap on a 3 lb gun with extra mags to make a trip to 7/11 for a loaf or bread. I will not carry a huge weapon that will give me a permanent back ache. And I have not desire to stuff some thing that large down my pants. Just my personal feeling.
I normally carry a Sub compact on my side with a quality holster that keeps the gun well concealed, close to the body and easy to carry. I train a minimum of once a week with that gun and my Pocket gun the Pico. I have become very proficient with drawing and point and shoot skills with both weapons.
I do carry a high quality pocket pistol. I know very well the capabilities of the gun and the limitations. And make no mistake, I feel I can draw and shoot that pocket gun very fast and accurately. And for sure, it is always with me. No matter where I go. And it would be a big mistake for a bad guy to underestimate the gun or the new modern day ballistics of that 380,

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 10, 2017 at 08:57 AM.
Old August 9, 2017, 08:19 PM   #59
Glenn E. Meyer

Do we need another thread where folks insult each other over carry choices?
Do we need another thread where folks think the average always happens?
Do we think that gunfights in nice neighborhoods are less dangerous than ones in a 'bad' neighborhood? If you need your gun, it is a bad neighborhood.

Yeah, your choice is the best for everyone and those that disagree don't know what they are talking about as you are an expert and never miss marksperson.

Let this one die unless you have something factual to say beyond bickering.
Old August 10, 2017, 09:08 AM   #60
Carl the Floor Walker

I want to thank all posters. I actually have enjoyed reading all the different opinions. Yes, it becomes a debate of some sort, but that is OK. I understand that a opinion can result in some form of bickering. It is common to find folks that are passionate in their beliefs. That is fine. While I personally disagree with some comments, I agree with others. Maybe it is best to just not reply if you do not want to see strong debate. Just a matter of choosing a key stroke and moving on to another subject.
Once again, thanks to all posters. We all share a common interest and that is firearms, for the sport, the gun, the hunting, the target practice and the ability to defend ourselves and families. And while I do not seen any proclaiming to be a expert, I do see many training to become one. All is good.
Old August 10, 2017, 01:39 PM   #61
dgludwig

Quote:
The answer to this problem is probably a Ruger LCR in .38Spl.
Or an LCR chambered in .327 Magnum, with its sixth round capacity.
Old August 10, 2017, 01:50 PM   #62
dgludwig

Quote:
What I was trying to point out is that having more ammo isn't going to make you safer.
Having more ammunition will make you "safer" if you need more ammunition.
Old August 10, 2017, 02:18 PM   #63
dgludwig

Quote:
This isn't me saying you're wrong to carry a smaller pistol. This is me saying you're making a trade off and you have to deal with that trade off.
This is a salient point. Though I usually carry a SIG Model 227 concealed iwb, the times that I opt to carry my Ruger LCP concealed is a negative trade off in terms of self-defense; one that I acknowledge but one that I choose to deal with. Carrying small guns, with small capacities and small bullets, can have big and sometimes bad consequences.

The other side, and probably more relevant, side of the coin is the oft-made argument that it's far better to have the little .380 in your hand when things go south than it is to have the big .45 in your safe at home and not in your hand.

When looking for the "concealed handgun that does everything", it's best to accept the reality that there will always be trade offs, including different climates you have to dress for, degrees of danger the immediate neighborhood poses, the social circumstances you might find yourself in, the laws of the jurisdictions you have to obey, etc.; and it's prudent to know which ones you're willing to accept and the reasons why.
Old August 10, 2017, 04:06 PM   #64
Glenn E. Meyer

I think that is an excellent statement for a close. I won't close it as I don't feel arbitrary but I caution against more bickering about the five shot, one bad guy always happens crowd vs. the full size semi and 5 extra mag foiks - implying the other group is nutsy.

PS - I came across two links that compared and test small guns vs. full sized.

Interesting reads as to the performance deficits and good points about the need to achieve competency with the smaller guns and problems with that.

http://www.thetacticalwire.com/features/231929

http://blog.krtraining.com/defensive...s-7292017-aar/

I note that since I sometimes carry a smaller one due to dress concerns or sloth - I've taken the time to train with snubbies and shot a snubby or G42 in IDPA or specific close range matches.

Here's my experience AAR.

http://blog.krtraining.com/186-2/
Old August 11, 2017, 11:32 AM   #65
Carl the Floor Walker

I have to say, that I simply enjoy shooting pocket guns. When I first shot the LCP, 10 years ago, I was terrible. Hated the High Five Slap of recoil etc. But it also represented a challenge. Thus began a journey that found a true love in shooting them. I shoot often, usually around twice a week, at least once a week. Every range day I will bring along the pocketgun. Alway's setting goals and naturally improving in consistent manner.
I am a big believer in training and part of that training is Drawing the gun from the holster etc. It does pay off. I went through 4 LCP's and other pocket guns. I also train at home BB and Pellet pistols etc.
I personally like a set of good sights on my Pocket guns. They aid greatly in fast point and shoot training. I have moved on from the LCP to other pocket guns, but they gave me the first start in this journey.
About two years ago, I purchased a LCR9mm. Once again a new challenge. Terrible at first but so many thousands of rounds later, huge improvement. AND SO MUCH FUN TO SHOOT TO BOOT.
Pocket guns, my revolver,and my sub-compacts. These are the guns I carry and they get 95% of my training.
I also shoot the heck out of a Ruger LC9S. A fast gun to target at 15 yards. It also carries so nicely in my Mitch Rosen belt holster. Light weight, close to the body, and extremely reliable.

Everyone is different in what they like to shoot. Carry a 1911, that is fine. Carry just a pocket gun, that is fine as well.
I usually carry the LC9s, along with a Pico. In the summer, I will end up with just the Pico. I feel secure with it, and I shoot it so well.
The gun you carry should also be a gun you have fun with at the range. No matter what you carry, train often.

Ps. One gun that I use often for training with the Pocket guns is the Phoenix HPA 22.cal. Surprisingly a gun that runs very strong. I use it for point and shoot skills. I take a standard range target and then place 10 small glow 3" targets on it. I will then quickly try and nail as many as I can in rapid fire.
Once again, lousy at first, years later and the results are more than surprising.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; August 11, 2017 at 11:37 AM.
Old August 13, 2017, 06:04 PM   #66
Tomac

All handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used. Shot placement and sufficient penetration are paramount, all else is secondary.

Barring a hit to the CNS, the only way to stop a determined & aggressive BG is shutting down the brain from oxygen deprivation caused by blood loss.

However, even a solid hit to the heart can leave 10+ seconds worth of oxygen in the brain, plenty of time for the BG to plant daisies in your hair. Caliber/expansion doesn't matter *unless it can alter the outcome of the encounter in your favor*, causing incapacitation fast enough to prevent the BG from inflicting serious/lethal damage. It's moot if the difference between calibers/bullets only means incapacitation occurring in the ambulance instead of the ER.

With that being said, use the handgun/caliber you shoot best as long as your chosen caliber can achieve sufficient penetration. All handguns underperform, some underperform worse than others.

I carry 2x8rd reloads for my Shield besides my 10+1 primary mag. Why? Because it's very easy to do and I'd rather have more 'underperformers' than I need than too few.
Best friend is retired LEO, he once told me that no cop has every complained after a gunfight about having too much ammo.

Tomac
Old August 13, 2017, 08:20 PM   #67
FITASC

Quote:
In fact, a friend from FL who is just experiencing her 2nd MD summer is convinced it is more humid here than where she is from, and almost as hot.
I also live in FL; it's been 90+ with heat index running over 100 since the beginning of MAY, and we have another 1-2 months to go. With 5 months + of brutally oppressive heat and humidity, pocket carry is a nice way to go with the lighter summer wear of t shirts and gym or cargo shorts.....

I can, and usually, carry a J frame, a Kahr 9mm or a LCP in my pocket.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa