The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old July 26, 2017, 10:22 AM   #1
cmdc

6.5 Creedmoor suggestions

I want to get one and would like recommendations. I will use it for target shooting and hunting as well.

Thanks
Old July 26, 2017, 03:15 PM   #2
bfoosh006

Kind of expensive... but Savage makes dang good barrels....

They make 18" and 22" ...

https://www.joeboboutfitters.com/Sav.../gun-22905.htm

Read some googled reviews...

http://www.guns.com/review/gun-revie...-in-308-video/

Quote from the review...

"At 100 yards, the rifle easily cut hole on hole, with repeatable groups right around 0.5 inches. At 200 yards, average three shot groups came in at 0.73 inches. Though Savage is not advertising any accuracy guarantees for the rifle, we were pleasantly surprised to find the rifle still well capable of MOA groups at 300 yards, and the 6-24×50 Bushnell optic didn’t hurt either."
Old July 26, 2017, 04:49 PM   #3
tobnpr

Budget?
How much hunting vs. target?

DPMS makes the LR-6.5...not a lightweight, but my experience with DPMS is that they're budget-conscious, sub-minute rifles.
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 26, 2017, 05:08 PM   #4
cmdc

No budget per se, but don't necessarily want to go crazy either. Probably more target than hunting, but I would like to keep weight down as much as possible.

What is optimal barrel length for the Creedmoor? The hunting I'm planning on will be pigs, but probably not much.
Old July 26, 2017, 05:13 PM   #5
bfoosh006

6.5 Creedmoor barrel cutdown velocities test.... Thank You Rifleshooter.com !

http://rifleshooter.com/2016/02/6-5-...p-a-creedmoor/
Old July 26, 2017, 05:51 PM   #6
stagpanther

unless you really need the semi-auto function--either savage's or ruger's precision rifles look really good.
Old July 26, 2017, 06:01 PM   #7
CalmerThanYou

I have been spending a lot of time behind my Ruger Precision 6.5, I really enjoy it and at that price point is about as good as it get out of the box. But lightweight it is not!!
Old July 26, 2017, 08:00 PM   #8
jmr40

I wouldn't lug around an AR pattern rifle in any of the 308 based cartridges for hunting. Once you mount optics weight will be at least 10 lbs and probably more. The 223 based rifles can be fairly light.

There are lots of bolt gun options that will cost a fraction of a semi, be more accurate and you can keep weight including optics well under 8 lbs. I paid $389 OTD for my Ruger Predator. I don't even waste time shooting at 100 yards with it anymore. It shoots near 1/2 MOA with Hornady 143gr ELD-X bullets. Either factory or hand loads. Weight including optics is a reasonable 7.5 lbs even with the mid-weight barrel.

With the right bullets I'd use it to hunt anything that I'd hunt with a 270 and at the same ranges. That means anything in North America.

Winston Churchill
Old July 27, 2017, 08:35 AM   #9
Mystro

I have a friend that has done real well with the caliber in a Montana.

"Ask not what you can do for your country, but what free entitlements you can bleed from your country"
Old July 27, 2017, 12:04 PM   #10
T. O'Heir

"...No budget per se..." Ya gotta figure that out first. It's more important than how much target vs hunting you plan on.
Mind you, hunting what matters as well. Tobnpr's DPMS will do for targets and varmint hunting. Not so much for a stalking hunt. Thing weighs 11.25 pounds with an MSRP of $1239. Or you can have a Savage M11/111 DOA Hunter package(3-9x40 Bushnell Trophy Scope) that's a hunting rifle for $684 MSRP.
Old July 27, 2017, 12:19 PM   #11
TrueBlue711

Since you posted this in the semi-automatics forum, I'm assuming you're looking for a semi-auto version? Look at the Smith&Wesson M&P10. They just came out with a 6.5 Creedmore version. Was looking into getting one myself.
Old July 27, 2017, 04:03 PM   #12
ronl

I bought the Savage LRP in 6.5 CM, and it is a heavy rifle. Kitted out I think it weighs out at around 15lbs. It is very accurate, but not something you would want to lug around for long. If you were using it for target shooting, I'd recommend the LRP or the Ruger Precision, which is also a pretty heavy beast. A couple of my friends bought them. For a dual purpose rifle I'd follow jmr40's suggestion.
Old July 29, 2017, 11:30 AM   #13
cmdc

Replies appreciated. Yes, I posted here because I was thinking semi-automatic. I have several 6.5 bolt guns; a Savage Weather Warrior and LRP in .260 Remington, as well as a Ruger No.1 and a Blazer R8 Professional, both in 6.5x55 Swede. I also have a 6.5 AA Grendel, which is very accurate and easy to shoot.

I also have several ARs in .308. I get the weight concerns for sure. The M&P10 6.5 Creedmoor is listed at 9+ lbs., and the Savage(I didn't even know they made semi's) and Stag guns are 10lbs plus.

Not opposed to going with a bolt gun, but I thought that a Creedmoor in a bolt gun would be redundant.

What say you?
Old July 29, 2017, 11:38 AM   #14
cmdc

I do like the jmr40 gun and would be all over it, but I'm left handed and so are all of my bolt guns. I didn't see that they offered it in a left hand version.
Old July 29, 2017, 11:39 AM   #15
stagpanther

I built both a creedmoor and 260 rem in a AR 10--both with mid-weight 20" barrels, they come in at about 9.5 lbs without optics or magazine. They both shoot very nicely--though I haven't tried either at distances beyond 200 yds yet Hard to find long range tactical scopes that are also light weight.
Old July 29, 2017, 12:37 PM   #16
cmdc

Stagpanther, do you like one better than the other? Also, I know what you mean about the scope thing.
Old July 29, 2017, 05:26 PM   #17
stagpanther

Quote:
Stagpanther, do you like one better than the other? Also, I know what you mean about the scope thing.
To be perfectly honest, my level of experience and skills with both isn't high enough to notice any real difference between the two performance-wise. Both are easily capable of sub .5 MOA.

Minor differences that I've noticed--the 260 rem is going to be cheaper in the long run to load for since there are almost always plentiful 308 cases to neck down to 264. The creedmoor--like the grendel--has a set-back shoulder which facilitates seating longer bullets further out--that eases encroachment on case powder capacity somewhat in some instances. I'm sure an experienced 1000 or more yd competition shooter could give you a much better answer than me.
Old July 30, 2017, 04:38 AM   #18
Ibmikey

My buddy built an Aero in Creedmore and just loves it, however, it is definitely a rifle for the deer blind. With a night vision scope and bipod the rifle is getting a bit heavy for carrying in the woods but he loves it for night hunting of Texas hogs.
Old July 30, 2017, 11:04 AM   #19
kraigwy

We have two 6.5s, wife's Ruger Precision Rifle and my Ruger American Preadator.

Static targets the RPR is hard to beat, but like mentioned its heavy. The RAP is light weight for hunting yet plenty accurate enough for Long Range Rifle Shooting.

The RAP is also about 1/3 the price of the RPR.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 30, 2017, 11:32 AM   #20
CalmerThanYou

I was looking at the Kimber catalogue yesterday. I was impressed with the newish offerings they have in 6.5 mostly designed for hunting, but they are very light and look super nice. Although a bit pricey.
Old July 30, 2017, 12:56 PM   #21
stagpanther

Building a creedmoor or 260 rem in AR's isn't much harder than building regular AR 15's--really the hardest part is just making sure you find receivers and parts that work together since there is no real standardization in the xx308 world. Creedmoor top, 260 rem lower (both have BHW barrels):

The creedmoor I found needed an adjustable block for the range of loads I do--the 260 does not have one and handles everything no problem. I use adjustable blocks frequently--but only because I have to in certain cases--I prefer not to if I have a choice.

Seating the barrel's extension into the upper well and matching it to the bolt well is always important--I would venture to say--again a bit like the grendel--even a tad more so with the creedmoor. Once tuned right though, capabable of great accuracy for a semi-automatic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg creedmoor-and-260-rem.jpg (98.6 KB, 378 views)
Old July 30, 2017, 05:13 PM   #22
cmdc

Nice looking setups you have there sir. What barrel length?
Old July 30, 2017, 07:20 PM   #23
stagpanther

Quote:
Nice looking setups you have there sir. What barrel length?
thanx--they are both 20" rifle gas. Fully decked out about 12.5 lbs. Joys to shoot--but you gotta be in good shape to want to haul them deep and far into hunting terrain.

Can't remember whether it was on this forum or another--but I recall conversing with an x-special forces guy who hauls a 338 lapua magnum AR (noreen's I think) for all his hunting in Alaska.
Old July 30, 2017, 08:02 PM   #24
tobnpr

6.5 Creedmoor in another bolt gun most certainly would be redundant to your .260 (and almost as much so for the Swedes).

The small frame .308's are gaining traction, lightweight but not inexpensive; I suspect prices will come down as they (if they?) become more popular and my bet is the popular Creedmoor will be soon to follow.

Mega's new SF-Maten is billed at just 7.2 lbs....
www.biggorillagunworks.com
Old July 30, 2017, 11:32 PM   #25
Water-Man

http://www.eurooptic.com/JRTXC382-Ti...el-MPN-JR.aspx