The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 18, 2017, 07:38 PM   #1
Rangerrich99

Wolf Polyformance steel-cased 9mm ammo

Note: As a general rule, I don't like steel-cased ammo for any of my guns.
Steel-cased ammo always seems to bring more problems than its worth, in my experience. So this little review is unusual, in that I've never had any use for steel-cased cartridges before.

Just a quick review on this stuff. Found this ammo on sale a few weeks ago and decided to give it a try. Ran it through my Shield, Glock 19 and my Ruger 1911 LW CMD in 9mm. Not one mis-feed, or failure to eject. Had one failure to fire. I checked the primer and it had a smaller than usual dent in it. Re-chambered that round and it fired exactly like all the others at the trigger press. I didn't actually test the stuff for accuracy, but these bullets seemed to shoot reasonably accurately through 150 rounds.

I did see about a dozen 'sparks' fly up from my guns during the session, one or two per firing event. Not every firing event, just about a dozen times total. They were small, and few in number, and once I got the guns home, I field-stripped them and checked all of them for damage. No damage was found. The ammo is a bit dirty, but not excessively so. Just dirtier than typical brass-cased ammo, such as Winchester WB.

Overall, I'd have to say that if you're looking for plinking ammo or ammo to use at a training event (or somewhere else you can't collect your brass), this stuff will probably work for your purposes.

Last edited by Rangerrich99; July 18, 2017 at 07:43 PM.
Old July 18, 2017, 11:31 PM   #2
JoeSixpack

personally not a fan of steel case ammo, But it's more the jacket im worried about.

Wolf use to have steel cased (lacquered) w/traditional copper jacketed bullet.
I don't know if they still make that stuff or if it's all bi-metal jackets these days but it wasn't to bad for what it was..

Even so, I will only feed steel crap to my hi-points.
If you get the brass cased stuff on sale it's not to far off from steel..
It just ain't worth saving a penny a round.
Old July 19, 2017, 03:58 AM   #3
TruthTellers

I agree with Joe. The cheap brass ammo when on sale makes for a better value. You don't have to worry about the brass wearing out extractors/ejectores and if you don't reload, you can gather up and sell the brass for a couple bucks.

And if you don't keep your brass, leave it for the next guy who could use some.
Old July 19, 2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Shed

I agree that you're better off getting other ammo as well. While I haven't shot Wolf 9mm, I have shot their 7.62x39 and it's ok; didn't do any significant accuracy testing with it tho (Nutnfancy did and it performed well).

In general however I avoid the Russian steel cased stuff for handgun. While I know Wolf and Tulammo are not produced in the same factories anymore, I've found Tula to be incredibly innacurate in .38 spl...as in the worst ammo I've ever shot at 50ft.
Old July 27, 2017, 10:04 AM   #5
kenny53

I have shot some steel stuff out of my Glock, worked well. I don't believe it is as hard on guns as some tend to believe. If you can find cheap brass ammo buy it. Check Freedom ammo, SG ammo and a few other on lines stores you will find good prices.