The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old March 16, 2017, 10:39 AM   #1
chili.red

Hopkins & Allen Safety Police 22

I have an old Hopkins Allen Safety Police 22 cal. that was given to me and it appears to be missing a couple parts. Can anyone identify what's missing from this picture.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7B...ew?usp=sharing

From the Numrich catalog it looks like I need the Cam Hook and possibly the Cam Hook Castoff "not sure on that one.
And if someone has a schematic for one of these it would be a great help, "not easy to find".

Thanks
Steve
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P_20170316_102528_vHDR_Auto.jpg (242.2 KB, 33 views)
Old March 16, 2017, 12:50 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

I can't tell if the cam hook and spring are in place or not, since they are inside the barrel hinge and operate the ejector. I don't see the lever (aka hand) and spring, either. A better diagram than GPC has may be available, but I don't know of it. That gun is not simple, and the parts terminology is confusing, but what you have may be the best you can do. Maybe someone someday will write a book on the H&A guns, but I don't think that has been done yet.

Jim
Old March 16, 2017, 03:44 PM   #3
chili.red

Thanks Jim,

Luckily I found the three parts at Numrich, not that expensive either fortunately. I've put them on order and will work on trying to assemble once the parts get here.

The Ejector works perfectly and internally everything is very clean, it even has a really decent bore.

It would be nice if there was a schematic somewhere that showed it completely assembled, that would help greatly.

I did see that Cornell Publications has reprinted the original Safety Police manual. Does anyone know if that has a schematic in it, i'd be happy to order one if I knew it was there.
Old March 16, 2017, 04:40 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Cornell usually says that gun literature that old does not have what we consider a schematic. A layout good enough for parts ID but not in the relationship installed in the gun.
Old March 17, 2017, 12:50 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I doubt the original manual would help, since that is where GPC likely got its diagram. That gun is not especially complicated or hard to assemble, so good luck. (If the extractor works OK, I would think the cam parts are OK.)

Jim