The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old August 10, 2017, 07:29 PM   #26
Model12Win

Who are you to come up with something like that?

Many industry experts, including Tom Gresham and others, praise lasers on self defense pistols. They offer incredible benefits that could be life saving in a defensive scenario. A home defender is truly crippled if they don't have a laser sighting aid for defense and at a tremendous disadvantage to someone equipped with one.

Seriously, I don't think they're nearly as useful as some seem to think they are for the job. I specifically AVOID lights with lasers on them for the sake of simplicity, and of course because I never plan to use the laser. I think one should be trained to aim down the sights and use night sights and flashlights to positively identify the threat before engaging, not try and look for a little red laser and imitate RoboCop.
Old August 10, 2017, 10:17 PM   #27
Doc Holliday 1950

Found the guide rod(Glock 43) laser in red for $199.00 plus shipping through a Co. called
Natchezss.com brand new with a 30 day guarantee. I've bought Glock mags from them for 19.95/mag & not knock-offs. The price was not listed on line, it was in their monthly catalogue. I bought it today for the reasons that I last wrote and will follow-up later. Just an FYI. My Brother-in-Law(Delta Force) who is on active duty gave me the idea & I tend to pay attention to him when he talks about SD.

Doc
Old August 12, 2017, 05:21 PM   #28
Siggy-06

Congrats on your purchase Doc. Was it a Lasermax brand? Let me know if its possible to zero the guide rod laser. I was going to recommend a crimson trace that's grip activated. I really do like the idea of the guide rod one though.
Old August 12, 2017, 06:37 PM   #29
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Many industry experts, including Tom Gresham and others, praise lasers on self defense pistols.
Has nothing to do with the fact they get ro s of advertising money from the people who sell them!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old August 12, 2017, 09:00 PM   #30
Onward Allusion

The Lasermax Guide Rod laser is factory zeroed for 10 yards.

Crimson Trace Instant On Grip Lasers are great because they also allow for the use of almost any holster. The only issue is for right handed users who carry IWB/OWB small-of-back. Grip lasers stick out about 1/4" beyond the width of the grip. That 1/4" will dig into the user's back when carried right-handed SoB.
Old August 14, 2017, 03:41 PM   #31
Doc Holliday 1950

As promised. I received the Lasermaz Guide Rod Laser today. Took me 6 minutes to figure out how to remove the slide lock. It came out and I turned the frame upside down and the spring popped out. Placed to new spring, nipple down and slid the new slide lock in place as shown. with yellow dots facing me and reasembled the top and the frame with the new laser guide rod in place. The laser worked with a press of my pointer finger and now off I go to the range. Note: I am the biggest klutz when it comes to machinery. If I can do this, anyone can.
PS. U-Tube has several great videos on how to do this.

Doc
Old August 15, 2017, 03:56 PM   #32
Doc Holliday 1950

Went to my range today. Only shot the Glock 43 with the new Lasermax guide rod laser. Put over 100 rounds through it at 25 & 50 feet and ABSOLUTELY NO MISFIRES OR PROBLEMS of any kind or sort. The object was NOT to use the laser to aim. The object was would it work at home in the dark. Now I know it works & hope that I'll never need it home or anywhere else. At least I know it works!!!!!!!

BTW, it is zero'd out at 10 yards as advertised. Beats the CT laser grips IMHO.
I had 2 NRA certified Instructors next to me and I let them try it out. They loved it.

Doc
Old August 15, 2017, 06:32 PM   #33
O4L

Good deal! I am glad it worked out for you.
Old August 23, 2017, 08:05 PM   #34
Doc Holliday 1950

Since I acquired my LaserMax guide rod laser for my G43 and I have found it to be flawless and totally accurate for night time protection, I asked my wife to get
me the same for my G19 gen 4 for the Holidays. Impressed??? You betcha.
This one I want in green.

Doc
Old August 25, 2017, 05:40 AM   #35
arquebus357

If you are in a dark area how does a laser sight help ? For that laser to be effective you will need to be able to SEE your target in order to lay your beam on it. I would much prefer a flashlight in this case. Then again I have seen green lasers that throw off so much light that they can practically light up a whole room.

I do love the lasers when used as a bore sight. You know, those bullets with lasers built into them. These will normally at least get you on paper for fine sight tuning.

Most shooters will not use a laser at the range. At least not for very long. The laser will show just how shakey you are.
Old August 25, 2017, 09:48 PM   #36
Doc Holliday 1950

My home is not 100% dark. We have several lights that produce a slight glow which I can see the outline of most objects & certainly that of a human shape. If I can see that much, then the laser becomes a most invaluable tool & again that's whyI bought it. IT WAS NEVER NEVER intended to be used at the range by me to shot holes in a paper target. PS. My hands are rock steady, no shakes.

Doc
Old August 25, 2017, 10:30 PM   #37
Venom1956

Viridian lasers They make model specific lasers i love mine.
E-Shock rounds are engineered to expend maximum energy into soft targets, turning the density mass into an expanding rotational cone of NyTrilium matrix particles, causing neurological collapse to the central nervous system.- Yeah I can do that.
I guarantee you will know it if a bicyclist hits your house going 1000 mph. -Smaug
Old August 25, 2017, 10:51 PM   #38
Cirdan

Not a fan myself. Useless in daylight. As far as night goes, I'd rather have a flashlight. I like to see what I'm shooting.

For that matter, I wouldn't use a G43 in the house. My nightstand gun is a G19 with 275 lumen light attached to the rail.
Old August 26, 2017, 01:11 AM   #39
Doc Holliday 1950

Flashights are ok for some. That's why we have choices. In my opinion, flashights are too bulky. The guide rod laser for Glocks are much easier to activate in my opinion and I don't have to change my holster to acomodate the laser as to accommodate the flash which is more difficult. Milli seconds count in an emergency.

Doc
Old August 26, 2017, 06:42 AM   #40
Prndll

TruGlow has a low profile red/green undermounted laser that has caught my eye. But, it's kinda low on the priority list.

I purchased a bore laser specifically to see how straight the sights were on my 9mm's. After only 15-20 seconds of being on, the batteries died out. The same thing happened with a fresh set of new batteries. Perhaps what I bought just wasn't high enough quality or maybe it was just a dud. But I've had better performance from the red-dot I have. I can easily see using lasers for training/testing/measuring. I just have a hard time believing they are all that valuable in the real world for the average individual. I have no doubt that in certain situations, they can be of great advantage. Especially where military and LEO work are involved. Maybe hunting.

When you have a gun that's more accurate at 7 yards and another one that's better at 10-15 yards, how would the average person know to compensate for and accurately match the perfectly straight laser beam with the curve of bullet path? A faster bullet is straighter but not necessarily more appropriate. It all gets circumstantial. Like what grain of what caliber to use in what kind of situation.

I've seen people at the range that hit all over the paper. Those that couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and are in dire need of more practice. I can't see the use of a laser being much help to them. Infact, watching some of them bounce their laser around can be VERY distracting.

I can understand people wanting to 'look' modern or cool and I can also understand owning various lasers but there is a place for it and then there are other places.

Last edited by Prndll; August 26, 2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old August 26, 2017, 07:40 AM   #41
arquebus357

I didn't realize that you kept your house lit at night.

I feel so stupid....sorry
Old September 3, 2017, 11:03 PM   #42
vkeith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Holliday 1950
The guide rod laser was the main laser that I was inquiring
about in my original post. Has anyone had any problems with them?
The Lasermax in my wife's Beretta 92 went dim just a couple of months after the warranty expired. I contacted Lasermax and they said to send it in to be looked at. After confirming that there was little wear and no abuse, they replaced it for free which I consider excellent customer service

The Lasermax on my gen 2 Glock 21 has had the plastic battery cap replaced twice in 15 years and is needing a new battery cap now. It still works but the cap has a small split in the side.

Laser sights do make a good training aid. Mine helped me cure pulling to the right as I squeezed the trigger. I also think they do help with target acquisition in low light situations. I realize that I am probably in the minority on that opinion, but having spent 15 years using one has shown me the value of having a laser sight.

The advantage of the Lasermax guide rod laser is that for most applications (excepting the 1911 models) there is no need to sight the laser to the gun and there is no means of adjustment because it is not needed. They are inherently accurate due to their design.

Both of ours are the red laser sight as the green one had not been developed when we purchased. If the green one had been available, I would have probably went with it because the red ones are not easily visible in bright daylight.
Old September 4, 2017, 09:41 AM   #43
stephen426

Looks like you already bought the Lasermax. I loved the idea since the laser would be right under the barrel and I bought one for my Glock 26. I have to admit that I hated it though since the wider take down lever required it to be used in specific holsters or risk accidental activation. I didn't really care for the flashing laser and I also don't like how the laser is activated.

I switched to carrying a Kahr PM9 and I bought a Crimson Trace laser that mounts to the trigger guard. I like that the activation is completely intuitive since it is right on the grip itself. Then laser sits lower than the Lasermax, but is adjustable for both windage and elevation.

I recently switched to a Glock 43 and I went with Crimson Trace again. This time, I went with the combination light and laser. https://www.crimsontrace.com/product.../glock/01-5860 The light is very bright and can be set for light only, laser only, or light and laser. This sight is also adjustable for windage and elevation.