The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 6, 2017, 01:43 PM   #1
Model12Win

M9: Commercial vs Military?

Guys as you may know I recently bought a Beretta 92S and it is quickly becoming a favorite at the range. I LOVE it, fits my hand great, a joy to shoot. But it's got a couple flaws. The heel mounted magazine release and crude sights could be improved.

I'm thinking about getting an M9 from Buds Gun Shop:

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...9mm+4.9%22#ask

But if this is the "commerical" M9, how does it differ from the current issued M9 used by the military? I've read conflicting reports on this. Some say it's exactly the same others than the markings, some say there are differences in construction.

Does anyone know how these really differ from military issued M9s? Thanks!
Old August 6, 2017, 01:48 PM   #2
wild cat mccane

Some military have "i" dot sights. Military includes more markings.

Absolutely no difference otherwise.
Old August 6, 2017, 02:04 PM   #3
TheGunGeek

I would consider the M9A3, which is the newest iteration.
It has trijicon night sights, improved mag release and safety/decocker, threaded barrel, and vertec plus standard grips.

If you want it to be closer to yours, then an M9A1.

I own both.
Old August 6, 2017, 02:09 PM   #4
DubC-Hicks

Ive got the commercial M9. It's as close as you'll get to the actual military M9. Dot the I sights, straight dust cover, M9 serial number, hex grip screws, non radiused back strap. Love that gun, especially with a D main spring.

Can get a 92A1 if you want dovetailed sights and a rail.
Old August 6, 2017, 02:43 PM   #5
JoeSixpack

I've never owned a m9, Differences between the 92fs are minimal.

If you're talking about what is delivered to the military then as far as I know nothing, Although some claim the military m9's have a rougher finish but that's hardly something you would WANT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGunGeek View Post
I would consider the M9A3, which is the newest iteration.
It has trijicon night sights, improved mag release and safety/decocker, threaded barrel, and vertec plus standard grips.
Agree completely.

IF i was in the market for a current production Beretta, m9a3 is what I'd be looking for.. although I think the price is a bit steep from what I've seen.

All the 92's I want are out of production, Steel I, 90-two, Brigadier G in Inox (Although I think someone recently told me they started making them again)
Old August 6, 2017, 04:11 PM   #6
pblanc

If you are not crazy about the sights on the 92S, you might not be crazy about those on the M9. Although the rear sight is dovetailed, the front sight on the M9 is much the same as that of the 92S. It is integral to the slide and cannot be changed. The "top strap" portion of the slide that covers the barrel on the 92/M9 series is not thick enough to allow cutting a dovetail in, so you are pretty much stuck with the stock front sight, although Wilson Combat will drill it out for a fiberoptic insert.

The Brigadier models have thicker slides with more material up front and have a dovetailed front sight like the M9A3.

If you don't mind having a rail, the 92A1 would be another option. This also has a dovetailed front sight and a rounded trigger guard like your 92S. Oddly enough, the M9A1 does not have or allow a dovetailed front sight, and has a squared-off trigger guard like the M9/92FS.
Old August 7, 2017, 09:26 PM   #7
Prndll

I practically fell in love the first time I held the M9A3. I will be getting one as soon as I get the chance. Until then, my 92A1 is as close as I can get. If I were to recommend a Beretta pistol, it would be those.

Although, a 92FS is on the list. Older M9's are good. Why not all?

Last edited by Prndll; August 7, 2017 at 09:43 PM.
Old August 9, 2017, 09:39 PM   #8
disseminator

as a former 92a1 owner, don't buy a Beretta until you check out the Wilson Combat model 92. They put all the best stuff in there right from the factory at a reasonable price IMO.