The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old July 10, 2017, 11:47 AM   #1
lilbitpepper

Just curious

Hey folks!! I am new here and I hope I'm in the right place. I am a small time local flea market dealer here in TN. Sunday an officer came around to all the gun sellers and informed them that it is now illegal to sell even long guns. Has anyone else heard of this?
Old July 10, 2017, 11:54 AM   #2
BarryLee

I doubt it s totally illegal, but there could be licensing or other requirements. The best advice is to contact a local attorney.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old July 10, 2017, 12:04 PM   #3
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Hey folks!! I am new here and I hope I'm in the right place. I am a small time local flea market dealer here in TN. Sunday an officer came around to all the gun sellers and informed them that it is now illegal to sell even long guns. Has anyone else heard of this?
Welcome.

It is illegal under federal law to be engaged in the business of a dealer in firearms (and long guns are firearms) without the proper federal license. That's been the law since 1968.

Are you engaged in the business of a dealer in firearms? Well, ATF has published this informational flyer to help you decide, but you might want to consult a qualified lawyer. If you're unlucky a jury at your trial in federal court will be deciding that.

Let's look at federal law.
  1. Under federal law, one needs an FFL to engage in the business of a dealer in firearms. "Engaged in the business" is defined at 18 USC 921(a)(21)(C), emphasis added:
    Quote:
    (21) The term “engaged in the business” means—

(A)...

(B) ...

(C) as applied to a dealer in firearms, as defined in section 921 (a)(11)(A), a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms;...
    1. The operative concepts are (1) devoting time, attention and labor; (2) doing so regularly as a trade or business; (3) the repetitive purchase and resale of guns; and (4) intending to make money.

2. "Livelihood" simply means:
      Quote:
      1: means of support or subsistence
    3. Nothing in the statutory definition of "engaged in the business" requires that it be one's only business or means of support. It could be a side business, a secondary business or one of several ways you have of bringing money into the household.

1. What matters is that you're doing it regularly to make money. You don't even necessarily need to make a profit to be "engaged in business."

2. People go into business all the time and wind up not making money. It's not that they're not engaged in business; it's just that they're not very good at it.

4. But an occasional sale is not being "engaged in the business." Where is the the line between an occasional sale and the repetitive purchase and resale?

1. That's not clear from the statutes.

2. So the question becomes whether there's been any useful judicial clarification.

2. Let's look at what some courts have said.

1. The Third Circuit, in upholding a conviction of dealing in firearms without a license noted (U.S. v. Tyson, 653 F.3d 192 (3rd Cir., 2011), at 200-201, emphasis added):
      Quote:
      ...By the statute's terms, then, a defendant engages in the business of dealing in firearms when his principal motivation is economic (i.e., “obtaining livelihood” and “profit”) and he pursues this objective through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms. Palmieri, 21 F.3d at 1268 (stating that “economic interests” are the “principal purpose,” and “repetitiveness” is “the modus operandi ”). Although the quantity and frequency of sales are obviously a central concern, so also are (1) the location of the sales, (2) the conditions under which the sales occurred, (3) the defendant's behavior before, during, and after the sales, (4) the price charged for the weapons and the characteristics of the firearms sold, and (5) the intent of the seller at the time of the sales. Id. (explaining that “the finder of fact must examine the intent of the actor and all circumstances surrounding the acts alleged to constitute engaging in business”). As is often the case in such analyses, the importance of any one of these considerations is subject to the idiosyncratic nature of the fact pattern presented...
    2. And the Fifth Circuit noted (United States v. Brenner (5th. Cir., 2012, No. 11-50432, slip opinion), at 5-6, emphasis added):
      Quote:
      ...the jury must examine all circumstances surrounding the transaction, without the aid of a "bright-line rule". United States v. Palmieri, 21 F.3d 1265, 1269 (3d Cir.), vacated on other grounds, 513 U.S. 957 (1994). Relevant circumstances include: "the quantity and frequency of sales"; the "location of the sales"; "conditions under which the sales occurred"; "defendant's behavior before, during, and after the sales"; "the price charged"; "the characteristics of the firearms sold"; and, "the intent of the seller at the time of the sales". Tyson, 653 F.3d at 201.
    3. The Sixth Circuit noted (United States v. Gray (6th Cir., 2012, No. 11-1305, slip opinion), at 8):
      Quote:
      ...However, "a defendant need not deal in firearms as his primary business for conviction." United States v. Manthey, 92 F. App'x 291, 297 (6th Cir. 2004)....
    4. And in upholding Gray's conviction the Sixth Circuit also noted (Gray, at 8-9):
      Quote:
      ...We have previously held that evidence was sufficient to support a conviction under § 922(a)(1)(A) where it showed (1) that the defendant frequented flea markets and gun shows where he displayed and sold guns; (2) that the defendant offered to sell guns to confidential informants on multiple occasions and actually sold them three different guns on two different occasions; (3) and...that the defendant bought and sold guns for profit. See United States v. Orum, 106 F. App'x 972, 974 (6th Cir. 2004)...
    5. In affirming a conviction of dealing in firearms without a license, the Ninth Circuit stated (U.S. v. Breier, 813 F.2d 212 (C.A.9 (Cal.), 1987), at 213-214, emphasis added):
      Quote:
      ...Courts have fashioned their own definitions of the term. For example, we have previously stated "that where transactions of sale, purchase or exchange of firearms are regularly entered into in expectation of profit, the conduct amounts to engaging in business." United States v. Van Buren, 593 F.2d 125, 126 (9th Cir.1979) (per curiam). In United States v. Wilmoth, 636 F.2d 123 (5th Cir. Unit A 1981), the Fifth Circuit stated that to prove the status of the accused as one engaged in the business of dealing in firearms, "the Government must show a greater degree of activity than the occasional sale of a hobbyist." Id. at 125. "It is enough to prove that the accused has guns on hand or is ready and able to procure them for the purpose of selling them from time to time to such persons as might be accepted as customers." Id.; accord United States v. Carter, 801 F.2d 78, 82 (2d Cir.), cert. denied, --- U.S. ----, 107 S.Ct. 657, 93 L.Ed.2d 712 (1986); United States v. Burgos, 720 F.2d 1520, 1527 n. 8 (11th Cir.1983)....

3. So the bottom line is that there really doesn't appear to be a safe harbor, i. e., a set of specific, clearly defined conditions which, if satisfied, definitely get you off the hook.

4. So if a federal prosecutor, looking at the totality of the circumstances and all the factors discussed in the various cases, decides that he can first convince a grand jury that there's probable cause to believe you're buying and selling guns as a trade or business, and then convince a trial jury beyond a reasonable doubt that you're buying and selling guns as a trade or business, he very well might prosecute you.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old July 10, 2017, 07:02 PM   #4
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The best advice is to contact a local attorney.
From the way you explained it, is sounds likely that it is because of where you are selling guns. "no longer" means that once, you could, and that kind of change is most often a change in LOCAL law.

We used to have gunshows in a building at the fairgrounds. did that for generations, until a new deputy city attorney decided he didn't like the idea. He didn't actually get a law passed banning the shows, he just made it a requirement that every vendor at the show had to have $1million dollars in insurance for the show. Every vendor, including the hot dog guy and the dreamcatcher & T-shirt lady.

The additional expense drove away the hobbyists, and the little guys, and the show went away.

It MAY be there is a new rule, now prohibiting gun selling at they location of the flea market. It may be something else.

In your situation, you need a LOCAL lawyer (first) to determine #1 if the cop who told you no more selling guns was right, and what laws prevent this. And #2, if the cop was right, what options you have, from this point on.

Good Luck.
Old July 11, 2017, 12:29 AM   #5
lilbitpepper

Thank you all. I was just trying to figure out what had changed. I am seeing an attorney in the morning.
Old July 11, 2017, 06:38 AM   #6
Spats McGee
Staff

That's a good move. I suspect that there's been some change in local ordinances, just from how your phrased it. Maybe a change in state law.