The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 16, 2016, 08:27 PM   #26
FITASC

DECENT SxS guns start about $3K on the really cheap bottom end and most of the better ones start triple that and go up from there. The really cheap POS from Stoeger et al are a waste of money as they will break more often than they will work.
Old December 16, 2016, 10:53 PM   #27
lefteye

Duh - it seems like some confusion. A single shot holds one shell, a side-by-side holds two. Generally a single shot is very low cost; generally a side-by-side is much higher priced. A new side-by-side is probably not a good choice as a first shotgun. As many have suggested, a pump is probably the best choice - multiple shots and not terribly expensive.
Old December 17, 2016, 11:53 AM   #28
Virginian

I have to disagree with $3,000 being the floor for decent SxSs. The Dickinsons run about $1,500 and are quite good, but even though they are chambered for 3" I doubt they would hold up forever shooting those loads.
Even though this forum is almost cheap pump gun heaven, a pump gun is not always best for everyone and everything for a lot of reasons.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old December 17, 2016, 01:49 PM   #29
FITASC

Absolutely agree about the pump gun. I have one in a closet somewhere bought decades ago. I'll take my semis, over unders, and sxs guns. An I have the S&W Dickinson, and it isn't bad but the triggers need work. Definitely better than the savage fox.
Old December 17, 2016, 02:00 PM   #30
jcolon95

shotgun

i have a Winchester SXP 12 gauge for home defense. I got it at academy for around 300 bucks. good buy for the money easy to use
Old December 17, 2016, 03:51 PM   #31
Virginian

I improved the triggers on a Dickinson considerably just by taking it apart and a little cleaning up / polishing of the mating and contacting surfaces. I did not mess with the sear/hammer engagement area as it was not my gun. If I give in to my desire for a 28 gauge I may have to make a jig and work on that too if I get one with bad triggers. They seem to be a bit inconsistent. Some are fine. I do love how they handle. If there were still any wild quail I wouldn't hesitate.

I do not trust Remington's dating service accuracy. If they were Match.com, you could end up with Nancy Pelosi.
Old December 17, 2016, 09:55 PM   #32
FITASC

There are plenty of wild quail, just not here in the East...........friend has a brother in Kansas -says they had the best year in 80 for coveys and numbers.
Old December 17, 2016, 11:09 PM   #33
Auto5

When I bought my Mossberg 500 combo, years ago, it came with a 28" vent rib barrel (modified) and a 24" rifled slug barrel. As part of a sales promotion, I got 2 more choke tubes (full and improved cylinder) free by sending proof of purchase to Mossberg. I later picked up an 18.5" smoothbore slug barrel. Over the years I tried various home defense configurations: pistol grip, collapsible stock, red dot sights, vertical foregrip, etc. I eventually went back to the original stock and forend, with a tactical light for home defense. In "sport" configurations, I've shot trap and taken deer, pheasants, turkey and ducks. It's not fancy, but it does everything I ask of it.
Old December 18, 2016, 05:59 AM   #34
osbornk

Quote:
When I bought my Mossberg 500 combo, years ago, it came with a 28" vent rib barrel (modified) and a 24" rifled slug barrel. As part of a sales promotion, I got 2 more choke tubes (full and improved cylinder) free by sending proof of purchase to Mossberg.
I bought the same combo 2 weeks ago. The mod choke tube was in the barrel and the full and improved cylinder tubes were in a packet with the wrench in the box. The combo unit cost $298 at Walmart. I ordered and received a Carlsons turkey choke at a cost of $15.40.
Old December 20, 2016, 12:08 AM   #35
Zorro

Remington 870
Mossberg 500
Winchester 500

Yep Those are the best three.

Marines use Mossbergs. Police use Remington.
Old December 20, 2016, 09:06 AM   #36
MarkCO

Guess the OP lost interest in his thread.
Old December 21, 2016, 04:52 PM   #37
Gunplummer

Don't blame him.
Old December 21, 2016, 09:08 PM   #38
bn12gg

Any 12g pump -- my choice Browning BPS.

David.
Old January 6, 2017, 05:35 AM   #39
Gun Check Austria

Consider barrel length

You also have to consider the barrel length. Beside the choke it will influence your shart spread.

We tested it this week:
https://youtu.be/6NwQAZhRbb8
Old January 6, 2017, 08:48 PM   #40
dreaming

In your video you say there is no choke. Do you mean that each gun is open cylinder or that they have fixed chokes (they do not have screw in chokes).
Old January 8, 2017, 02:25 PM   #41
B.L.E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunplummer
Why the big deal over owning a S/S ? What can you really do with a pump that you cannot do with a S/S?
You can miss the same bird THREE times instead of merely twice.
Old January 10, 2017, 01:21 PM   #42
johnwilliamson062

Mossberg 500 or Rem 870 combo packages can be had around hunting season several places for stupid low prices. The short rifled barrel will usually put out buckshot at short ranges in a nice wide pattern most expect from a shotgun. Double or more the size of the regular chokes, making it about the best barrel for short range home defense if that is what you want. Across the room that moves you from a fist sized pattern to a softball sized pattern.

A beat to death but still functional 500 or 870 isn't worth much less than a LNIB one and there isn't much gap between that and a brand new one bought at a deal.
Old January 10, 2017, 03:52 PM   #43
Ricklin

Fit!

I suspect all the cheap pumps here fit about the same, so this may be a waste if the OP ever comes back.

If you really wish to use the shotgun please get out and shoot or at least shoulder and point the guns you are considering.

Shotguns are pointed, not aimed. Please start off right by buying a shotgun that fits you.

There are lots of posts here on the subject, just use search.
Old January 10, 2017, 09:52 PM   #44
SHR970

Quote:
Guess the OP lost interest in his thread.
No.. I got a PM from him in response to some questions I asked.

Do you know his knowledge level? No...

Do you know his budget? No.....

Do you know if righty or lefty? No....

I do because I asked.
Old January 10, 2017, 11:17 PM   #45
jimbob86

Quote:
Why the big deal over owning a S/S ? What can you really do with a pump that you cannot do with a S/S?
Shoot 3 times without reloading...... 5 if you take the waterfowl plug out. 8 if you put an extended magazine tube on it.

Reload without taking the gun out of action.

Not take Joe Biden's home defense advice.

http://nefirearm.com/
Old January 11, 2017, 09:22 AM   #46
osbornk

Quote:
Quote:

Shoot 3 times without reloading...... 5 if you take the waterfowl plug out. 8 if you put an extended magazine tube on it.

Reload without taking the gun out of action.

Not take Joe Biden's home defense advice.
Actually, mine holds 5 in the tube and 1 in the chamber.
Old January 11, 2017, 11:41 AM   #47
BearBrimstone

If you want to spend as little as possible the Maverick 88 is a great option. They will take a beating and continue to work great for less than $200 before tax and transfer.
Old January 11, 2017, 05:49 PM   #48
gunnre

give me my mossy 500 and I won't worry about what I don't got
Old January 13, 2017, 09:54 AM   #49
osbornk

Quote:
If you want to spend as little as possible the Maverick 88 is a great option. They will take a beating and continue to work great for less than $200 before tax and transfer
I went to my local Walmart to buy a $188 12 gauge Maverick 88 with 1 choke tube and 1 year warranty. They only had a 20 gauge but I saw a Mossberg 500 with 3 choke tubes and a 10 year warranty next to it for $254. I started to bet the Mossberg 500 until I saw a Mossberg 500 combo field/deer next to it for $298 with a 24" rifled slug barrel with rifle sights. I spent the extra $110, got the combo and I have been very pleased. The darn sabot slugs are expensive but accurate.
Old January 13, 2017, 11:27 AM   #50
MarkCO

Sabots are intended for rifled bores, not smoothbores. I would not spend more than $1 for slugs in a smoothbore.