The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 11, 2020, 04:10 PM   #1
simonrichter

can someone identify this pistol? (Tokarev-ish)

THIS is the pistol the Vienna assailant carried - is it a Tokarev or some Serbian or Chinese copy?
Old November 11, 2020, 04:37 PM   #2
Jim Watson

Looks like a Tokarev with homemade thumb rest grip.
As to whether it is a Russian Tokarev or a Chinese Tokarev or a Polish Tokarev, etc., there is no way or knowing without being able to read the markings.
Old November 11, 2020, 06:40 PM   #3
Forte S+W

It's hard to tell with such a low-res image which is so zoomed out from the pistol, but I presume that it's a Polish Tokarev due to the slide serrations, blued finish, and aftermarket wood grips designed to cover up a removed safety lever.

If it were a Chinese Tokarev then the finish would be more of a greyish tone and the slide serrations would be more conventional straight lines, the latter also applies to the Romanian Tokarev. I also very much doubt that it's a Russian Tokarev since they're extremely rare and AFAIK haven't ever been imported since 1968, so there would be no need for such oversized grips.
However, as I said, it's very hard to tell for sure because the image isn't very good.
Old November 12, 2020, 11:37 AM   #4
simonrichter

...but it's a 7.62 x 25, not a 9mm variant? In this pic, the ejection port seems rather long for a 9mm...
Old November 12, 2020, 01:30 PM   #5
ballardw

Way more Tokarevs were made in 7.62x25 than 9mm.

What would make you believe the pistol in question is 9mm? Not much detail but the first picture I can almost see the bottle neck of a 7.62x25 on the round at the top of the magazine.

And I really wonder about the un-fired rifle rounds laying around. They would not normally be un-fired if involved in shooting ...
Old November 12, 2020, 01:58 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

An Austrian terr isn't likely to use a Chinese Tokarev either. Regardless of the chambering. Like Jim says, it's a Tok with target grips on it. More likely commercial than homemade.
An excellent condition Russian Tok runs $399.95Cdn up here. Probably more of 'em here than ever would be Stateside. Since Clinton, as I recall, made the deal with the Russians to stop the importation of Russian milsurp stuff.
Old November 13, 2020, 09:49 AM   #7
Nodak1858

Quote:
It's hard to tell with such a low-res image which is so zoomed out from the pistol, but I presume that it's a Polish Tokarev due to the slide serrations, blued finish, and aftermarket wood grips designed to cover up a removed safety lever.
I have a number of Tokarevs from different countries, I think this is the correct answer.
Old November 13, 2020, 02:09 PM   #8
simonrichter

Quote:
What would make you believe the pistol in question is 9mm? Not much detail but the first picture I can almost see the bottle neck of a 7.62x25 on the round at the top of the magazine.
you nailed it - for some reason I failed to see the mag next to the gun, definitely 7,62 bottleneck ammo!

It's just a more exotic type of ammo, while 9mm is ubiquitous... But maybe other than with the AK, he did get some ammo right with the gun...
Old November 17, 2020, 03:07 AM   #9
jmstr

Tokarev- definitely.

Polish or Russian: who knows. Supposedly Russia still has a lot of Tokarevs floating around.

Keep in mind that Poland added the safety to comply with export requirements to the USA. From my understanding, a Polish Tokarev bought in Poland would look like a Russian Tokarev- no safety.

Poland is closer to Austria than Russia, so it may be more accessible. However, Russian weapons could have been floating around in the illegal gun market, or from the middle east, and obtained by ISIL before sending them to Austria.

my instinct would be to say 'russian', for some reason: more weapons floating around in middle east also for ISIL to latch on to.

However, not enough evidence to prove anything.

From the grip, I thought it might be a ZASTAVA 57, but the slide isn't Zastava 57 type. Plus that would be the same country that provided his assault rifle.

Or, a mix-master? After all, the barrel is the tracked item over there.