The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 31, 2015, 03:44 PM   #26
Snyper

Quote:
Watch TV on your computer while you reload at the same desk.
The LAST thing I want when reloading is a distraction
Old January 31, 2015, 07:59 PM   #27
F. Guffey

and when using stands the feet can be used to hold the stand.

F. Guffey
Old February 1, 2015, 02:12 AM   #28
jmorris

Quote:
jmorris-I'm taking the second photo in your post (#16) and am going to spring it on a couple of friends of mine that are really into Public Radio. Bet it gives 'em a case of the vapors!

P.S. I like Public Radio but they, how can I say this, really like Public Radio, if you know what I mean.
Maybe it's late but I don't follow?
Old February 1, 2015, 04:48 AM   #29
DaleA

I've got some anti-gun friends and the idea of going to a range for fun is almost beyond them. Going out in the woods plinking is over the edge for them and going gopher hunting is totally beyond their comprehension as a fun thing to do.

While they might admit someone could hunt they personally reject it on moral grounds. That someone would actually like and collect guns is again beyond them. (They also wouldn't understand anybody liking or collecting muscle cars or hot rods either.)

Some times when someone posts a large collection of guns I show it to them and they are shocked and appalled that anyone would/could have that many guns.

The idea that people make their own ammunition would seem to them to be something that should not be allowed-something that would just be 'wrong'. Your (very nice) setup would shock and appall them. That someone (an individual and not a company) would have such a complete setup that could produce as much ammo as you could without having government licenses, inspections, restrictions ("you mean a person could just go out and BUY all that equipment without passing some kind of background check???") will just blow their minds.

Please note they would have no problem at all with someone having this much equipment and spending the same amount of money on a 10-speed bike collection or a pottery barn and kiln. (I know...stereotypes but that's kind of who they are.)

I guess I do it to twist their tails a little. Shrug. Maybe I shouldn't.

Once again I think you have a very nice reloading setup there. It would be fun to have a tour of your place and see that stuff in action.
Old February 1, 2015, 05:29 AM   #30
Snyper

Quote:
While they might admit someone could hunt they personally reject it on moral grounds.
When I meet someone like that I generally say, "So you're OK with killing and eating animals as long as someone will do it for you?"
Old February 1, 2015, 09:04 AM   #31
McCarthy

Thanks (again) for all the input guys. I really like this forum so far. So many really helpful and experienced people.

For now I have ordered the workbench table linked in my first post. The only reason being that I'll have something I can start with. I will design and build my own benches as soon as I have moved into my new house this year. I'm currently living in a rental house and don't want to start over with a custom build after the move.

I'll actually order a floor plan with an additional room, just for reloading, large gun safe and whatnot.

This mentioned heavy duty table will be shipped next week from CA. I'll install the Redding first and start cranking out 10mm. The UPS and FedEx guys probably don't like me anymore. I don't recall a single day within the past 3 weeks where they didn't have to drop off loaded boxes from Midway, Cabelas, Natchez, Amazon, Dillon, eBay and gun shops in OH (Pistol Power hint). I also added a 686+, HK45, G20 and HK 762 to the list for the next couple months.

Looks like I'll be living at the range and sleeping in the loading room from now on. Good thing my ex-wife has no say in all this.
Old February 1, 2015, 09:09 AM   #32
sawdustdad

Quote:
I've got some anti-gun friends and the idea of going to a range for fun is almost beyond them. Going out in the woods plinking is over the edge for them and going gopher hunting is totally beyond their comprehension as a fun thing to do.
I guess I'm lucky or maybe it's where I live and work, but I don't really know or associate with any real anti-gun zealots. Most folks, even if they don't own a gun, have no bias against them. They just are not interested.
Old February 1, 2015, 10:28 AM   #33
9MMand223only

Here is the best one I ever seen for the money, because its like modular and customizable.

http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-9016...rds=work+bench

You then go to THD, have them cut 3/4 plywood and 2x4 to size, then you just put it together.

I have powder up top, bullets in second to high rack, and brass down below with tumbler.

I have the 550b screwed into the table in the front, and LED lighting below the top shelf.

I believe this is one of the cheapest sturdy bench solutions, coming in at about $140 assembled, and its quite large.
Old February 1, 2015, 11:54 AM   #34
double bogey

I have 2 of the above mentioned benches (http://www.amazon.com/2x4basics-9016...rds=work+bench).

One has the upper shelves and has a bullet sizer, a Square Deal B, a Lee classic turret, and a single stage Lee. The bench is about 7' long.
The other one is 3.5' long, doesn't have the upper shelves and has a Dillon 650XL on a strong mount on it.
The beauty of these benches is you can make them any length and depth. You can use any countertop you like. And they are sturdy, no need to attach to wall studs.

Last edited by double bogey; February 1, 2015 at 11:55 AM. Reason: spelling
Old February 1, 2015, 11:58 AM   #35
F. Guffey

Quote:
An added bonus, the materials are made of heavy-gauge resins and are impact- and solvent-resistant for long-term durability.
The first thing I want to know is: What is it made of? I like metal. They made me read all of the additional information, then finally, at the bottom of the last page.

F. Guffey
Old February 1, 2015, 12:13 PM   #36
Crankgrinder

I could not possibly care less about what shocks and appalls anti gun hippies, and I started out reloading on a foldable "workbench" not much more than a wooden TV tray with a piece of old plywood screwed to its top. A bench made of 2x6s with a piece of plywood screwed to its top made to whatever dimensions you like should serve your purposes well.
Old February 1, 2015, 02:40 PM   #37
Bosn Ski

Thought I would post a picture of my reloading bench. I am not done with it yet. Still on the to-do list: Install trim on the edge, cover screw heads with spackle, sand and paint. Oh and install my press. Inline Fabrication delivery is this week.

The bench is mobile with retractable wheels on both sides. My plan is to bolt it to the wall, but I will use strap toggles so I can unbolt it, remove the press and use it as a work bench for special projects.

The design is based on a set of plans I found on an airplane building website. http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/worktabl.htm

I modified the size to fit my one car garage and added the second plywood top and hardboard. It took me a day to construct.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1136.jpg (153.6 KB, 75 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1137.jpg (149.4 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1134.jpg (91.0 KB, 56 views)
Old February 1, 2015, 02:54 PM   #38
jmorris

Quote:
The idea that people make their own ammunition would seem to them to be something that should not be allowed-something that would just be 'wrong'. Your (very nice) setup would shock and appall them. That someone (an individual and not a company) would have such a complete setup that could produce as much ammo as you could without having government licenses, inspections, restrictions ("you mean a person could just go out and BUY all that equipment without passing some kind of background check???") will just blow their minds.
Ah yes, MSNBC would likely report that I have a weapons cash and ammunition manufacturing plant. I would say I have a moderate collection of firearms and related toys and a little hunting gear.
Old February 2, 2015, 10:01 PM   #39
PoiDog

Here's a second vote for the NRMA bench plans. I built one in 1999 and it's rock solid. I thought I'd have to bolt it to the wall, but I didn't have to.

I liked it so much, I built a second one without the hutch and use it for a regular work bench. My vise, grinder, drill press and casting equipment are on the second bench.

I also bought the HF wood working bench. It's surprisingly solid for Chinese goods. Very well built in my opinion. Since I've got the other benches tied up, I use this one for trimming brass, mounting scopes, and the like. I also store my range stuff on the bottom shelf; targets, spotting scopes, range bags, etc.

I might even use for wood working since I got back into that when I retired.
Sawdust and primers in my garage, as mentioned by a previous poster.
Old February 5, 2015, 12:29 AM   #40
Tinbucket

Best WorkBench for indoor set up

I'm amazed at good construction posted here.
I bought a half sheet of 1 in AA plywood long ago and had them cut it a six inch and a 12 inch piece off one length.
Glued and screwed from bottom the 12 in piece on bottom aand the 6inch piece as a back on the other long side.
Sanded to perfection and rounded front corners. Sealer and several coats of poly steel wooled between coats. Almost to pretty to drill.
I put it on a steel cabinet with doors that phone company got rid of.
The reinforced piece scoots right up nest to the cabinet. I have plenty of leg room if I want to sit. Messed up my finger drilling holes for flush screws to mount the cabinet though.
Measured for my RCBS Rock Chucker and powder measure while I was sitting.
Had plenty of space for Lee Progressive when I bought it.
All my dies ended up at rear neck to backsplash or whatever and poswer and lots of other stuff underneath.
Took my time and enjoyed making it
Not nearly as elaborate as these seen here. Have to make room for the.
Dillon this time and Rockchuker.
Got time to think about until Son moves out.
Old February 6, 2015, 02:02 PM   #41
schmellba99

I built mine. Used a 2x4 frame with a 1-1/8" thick beech butcher block (counter top) I got at Ikea and ripped to the depth I wanted.

I installed t-nuts on the underside so that I can take the pieces of equipment (with the exception of my LNL) and move them to whatever configuration I wanted. Added some shelving underneath for storage, a good 4-6 coats of urethane (this is inside and I wanted it to look nicer - kept the ire of the missus at bay) and I am good to go. Solid as a rock, and even my wife uses it during Christmas and around birthdays to wrap presents, etc. on.

A picture of some of my equipment on the removable blocks with the plastic handles (all thread epoxied into the handle, threads through the block and bench to the t-nut on the underside)

Old February 6, 2015, 02:05 PM   #42
schmellba99

Shelving underneath:

Overview - it's changed since these pictures, but still pretty close

Not too bad for being relegated to the master closet. Works great for me anyway.
Old February 7, 2015, 12:27 PM   #43
PoiDog

That is really very nice. A great use of the existing space. It looks great, too.

Plus you close the door and it disappears. Mine is in the attached garage, kind of hard to make it disappear.
Old March 5, 2015, 06:20 PM   #44
Bosn Ski

My bench...

The design is based on a set of plans I found on an airplane building website. http://www.eaa1000.av.org/technicl/w...l/worktabl.htm I modified the size to fit my one car garage and added the second plywood top and hardboard. It took me a day to construct.

The bench is 26x48. There is a 2-inch overhang on the front of the bench. I have it bolted to the wall with Toggler's. I painted it to match my tool box.

It is a dual purpose bench for work and reloading. I installed 'retractable landing gear' on both ends of the bench so I can move it around my garage.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1553.JPG (154.4 KB, 36 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1554.JPG (135.7 KB, 33 views)
Old March 5, 2015, 07:34 PM   #45
sawdustdad

Quote:
Not too bad for being relegated to the master closet. Works great for me anyway.
This is interesting. I could do something similar, but then where would my wife's 100 pairs of shoes go? Oh well, I guess I'll stay in the workshop...at least she won't come in there.
Old March 7, 2015, 03:45 PM   #46
Fritz34

Here is mine, don't know who makes it. My boss gave it to me, he used to use it for building fishing rods. It works pretty good, a lot better than the old kitchen table that I had before.

Old March 7, 2015, 06:55 PM   #47
stickMup

Here's my setup. Shelving was already on the walls of the house when we moved in, just adjusted to my liking. My "bench" is a dresser that was left by the last tenant. I removed the drawers and some cross members to make a storage area. It's a tiny bit wobbly, but works for now.
Old March 13, 2015, 10:02 AM   #48
WVsig

I built this for about $65 worth of materials I bought from Lowes. You can cut the wood at home if you have a miter saw or even have them cut it for you.
  • 3 12ft 2"X4"s
  • 4 Carriage Bolts, washers & nuts.
  • 3 3/4" Birchwood plywood 24"X48"
  • Wood Glue
  • 2 boxes of Wood Screws
  • No Brush Polyuerthane

Bolts to wall studs and is rock solid. I am going to mount the press this weekend. I used 2 3/4" pieces of plywood for the top and 1 for the shelf.

Old March 14, 2015, 02:31 PM   #49
flashhole

I went the island route when I built mine. I like having access to all sides and I really like having the press mounted directly over the heavy vertical upright. Zero flex.

Are you ready for civil war?
Old March 14, 2015, 03:49 PM   #50
jaguarxk120

Flashhole how high is your bench?

I have found a solid core door that will be used as a island bench like yours.

The door came from the ReStore and was new, no hinge cuts or holes for lock set.