The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old June 27, 2013, 10:10 AM   #351
SgtLumpy

Quote:
Prepared for what?
I guess I wasn't quite clear enough in my post.

Prepared for price fluxuation, unavailability, low availability.

Bullets, corn flakes, toothpaste, I buy them all in bulk at a lower price than I could if I bought them one at a time. Sorry if you think I'm keeping you from getting any bullets, corn flakes or toothpaste.

Bottom line here, that guy that you disdain because he's "hoarding" has bullets. You don't.

Sgt Lumpy
Old June 27, 2013, 03:37 PM   #352
9miller

I used the term hoarders and what I really meant was scalpers, let me say that if you have any components and have an intent to use them, buy them up! Now to buy and then sell 2-3 times retail to those who actually are an end user because of availability shortages and greed, then shame on you, and im sure it was the op's intent to be in favor of the reloader.

Now can this thread get back to its original purpose to give fellow reloaders a heads up on whats going on in the availability world and stop pointing fingers at whos "hoarding" ?
Old June 28, 2013, 08:13 AM   #353
FISHY-A-NADO

A good sign at least...

Walked into my local Wal-Mart last night at 7:30. They still had multiple boxes of the following handgun ammo:

.357 magnum, (both 50 round and 100 round packs)
.38 special
.40 S&W
.45 ACP
.380 Auto
9 mm

And according to the clerk at the counter, it was all from a shipment that was put out the previous morning. It was the most ammo and widest selection I have seen in my area since Christmas. I left it all right there since I have enough reloading components to get me by for the summer at least.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:09 AM   #354
Machineguntony

If you are in central Texas, gun store in Austin known as McBrides has lots of small pistol primer and a god amount of powder. They have plenty of shotgun primer, which no one seems to want.

They have lots of projectiles in stock, but unfortunately, they don't have bulk bullets.
Old June 28, 2013, 09:13 AM   #355
Skans

Quote:
Now to buy and then sell 2-3 times retail to those who actually are an end user because of availability shortages and greed, then shame on you,
No shame. This always happens in a bubble. We're at the tail end of an Ammo bubble. Remember the real estate bubble? People "flipping" houses, bidding wars etc.? After the bust they couldn't get rid of their $350,000 houses for even $150,000. Remember the slogan "Land.....they don't make it anymore...." "Ammo, they don't make it anymore" - yeah, right.

When supply loosens, scalpers panic. Ever been to a college football game? I always buy my tickets from scalpers just before (or sometimes just after) kickoff, and usually pay less than face value as the scalpers are desperately trying to unload their useless tickets. Why? Scalper panic, or they made enough money on the suckers and are ready to dump what they have to just try to recoup what they have in those tickets. When the jig is up, the scalpers panic and dump. When the frenzy begins, they won't be able to dump their ammo fast enough.

When this happens, I predict:

1. Scalpers showing up at gun shows selling ammo out of the back of their trucks and SUV's in the parking lot, with cardboard signs saying "AMMO FOR SALE, 223, 9mm, 45"

2. More ammo tables at gun shows than people selling firearms

3. sales boards in forums like this one lots of ammo ads.

4. Eventually, they will find it difficult to even give the cheap stuff like Wolf, away.

I'm not buying any bulk ammo until Ammo is in a full-blown free-fall. Even when everyone here is bragging about being able to buy as much ammo as they can find, I'll still be sitting on the sidelines munching popcorn. Scalpers and bottom-feeders - a hated lot; I prefer to be a bottom feeder.

Last edited by Skans; June 28, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old June 28, 2013, 05:59 PM   #356
super6

where is it.

Starline brass has 45 p+acp AVAILABLE! Looks like regular apc will run in July.

Last edited by super6; June 28, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
Old June 29, 2013, 05:53 AM   #357
Closing The Gap

Midway has Fiocchi Shooting Dynamics Ammunition 9mm Luger 115 Grain Full Metal Jacket Box of 50 for $12.99 right now.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:12 AM   #358
Bozz10mm

Ammo at Gander Mountain

I just ordered 5 boxes of 22lr, CCI Velocitor from Gander Mountain. They showed as being in stock. We'll see.

And thanks, Closing The Gap, I got the 2 box limit from Midway. Shipping was $15.53 tho.
Old June 29, 2013, 07:36 AM   #359
4runnerman

My sis just snagged me 2000 22lr from walmart. I see Scheels is finally getting a stock level of AR's on hand along with some primers and bullets. Powder is still a no go around here though
Old June 29, 2013, 08:19 AM   #360
Garycw

The "Where is everything?" thread -- guns, ammo, primers, powder, etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4runnerman View Post
My sis just snagged me 2000 22lr from walmart. I see Scheels is finally getting a stock level of AR's on hand along with some primers and bullets. Powder is still a no go around here though
I haven't expected to buy ammo at Walmart since January. I do usually stroll by the case out of curiosity and see no ammo or people except occasionally 1 or 2 with blank confused looks on there face. Yesterday I went there and did my curiosity walk by and spotted 5 boxes of .45ACP. So I tracked down the guy with key in automotive dept and bought (1) box. I asked he they got ammo in in certain days and had 22lr. He said they're not allowed to order and they're sent whatever, whenever. He said they had not received any 22lr in three months and then it was just a few boxes.
Old June 29, 2013, 10:58 AM   #361
Closing The Gap

Unless that guy was the store manager or the area manager for sporting goods I wouldn't believe what he said. All of the walmarts within 15 miles of me have gotten .22lr in at least once a week for quite some time now. It has been in larger quantities as of late but usually disappears very quickly after its put on the shelf. As for the whatever whenever thats wrong. I am friends with managers now at 3 of the stores near me. They have all confirmed there is a truck schedule. They get trucks in on four specific days a week. Ammo is usually on all trucks(not always rimfire or pistol ammo). Plus the walmart app confirms this as well. Only one of our local stores makes you go to the auto guys to get ammo and even that one had .22 on two of the trucks this week alone. The only part my sources can confirm is that its random. They have no idea what the local hub will send on the trucks until they get the bill of lading from the driver. The ammo is almost exclusively put out the following day at 7am. Even the store that was doing it at night has changed to that schedule because the ammo is getting more and more frequent and sitting on the shelves longer than normal. Fortunately for me and my wife the managers will still sell it to us out of the back room the night it comes in because that particular store excels in customer service. The two managers response to us was we know you guys come in for it and we look out for our regular customers.
Old June 29, 2013, 04:59 PM   #362
Machineguntony

Does Walmart sell powder and primers? Or do they only sell ammo?
Old June 29, 2013, 06:29 PM   #363
4runnerman

Ammo only, Some of them sell rifles to,but my local one here does not. They had some Black Powder rifle about 4 months ago,but all gone and don't seem to be getting any more
Old July 1, 2013, 06:57 PM   #364
9miller

Powedervalley has a nice imr oowder selection, including 4350 in a 8 pound keg
Old July 2, 2013, 02:58 PM   #365
Kimio

Anyone know if 14.95 is a good price for Privi Partizen .308 ammunition? I'm not familiar with the pricing of .308 ammo, though I do remember it being fairly expensive.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:06 PM   #366
Spats McGee
Staff

How many rounds to the box?
Old July 2, 2013, 03:41 PM   #367
Kimio

20rnds of brass cased Privi Partizen 145gr .308 ammunition is $14.95

I believe it's reloadable, it says it's boxer primed (I'm pretty sure it's reloadable)

After shipping and handeling, it would cost me roughly $88.49 for 100rnds of the stuff. I'm thinking of picking up some for my monthly ammo purchase, provided the price is right.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:52 PM   #368
Spats McGee
Staff

I can't say for sure how that stacks up against Pre-Panic Prices, but I've seen .308 running a good deal more. I think I had to pay ~90 cents/rd the last time I bought .308, which was maybe 4-5 months ago. Prices were high, but not astronomical around here at that point.

ETA: looking at a July 2011 spreadsheet that I made, comparable .308 was running ~49 cents/rd at that time. Clearly, I should have bought a truckload then.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:56 PM   #369
Kimio

The highest I ever saw it pre-panic was close to $20.00 a box (I think that was PMC 145gr ammunition according to afriend of mine)

So compared to that this looked like a good deal for the most part, though I'm not sure.
Old July 2, 2013, 03:57 PM   #370
Spats McGee
Staff

I'd go check some other online sources just to see how it stacks up. Personally, I check CTD, USAAmmo, SGAmmmo, AIM Surplus, and a few others to try to keep abreast of prices. (I'm something of a research hog.)
Old July 2, 2013, 05:39 PM   #371
Closing The Gap

Cabelas has Herters 150gr FMJ .308 for $11.99/20rds right now.
Old July 2, 2013, 07:06 PM   #372
Justice06RR

The rack at the SuperWalmart in East Orlando:

2 Colt AR15's starting at $1097, 2 Diamondback AR15's for $847, DPMS AR15 for $617. On the other side of the rack was M&P15-22, Ruger 10/22's and Mossberg TActical 22's.
Old July 2, 2013, 07:12 PM   #373
Joe_Pike

I found some Federal .22lr for $14.36 (325 round box) and Federal 9mm FMJ for $21.36 (100 round box) at Wally World yesterday. I put the 9mm on Armslist for $35 just to test the waters and no bites. I think that's a good sign that maybe people are at a saturation point and things my be getting back to a more normal state of affairs where I live. I didn't really want to sell the 9mm anyway, I just thought it was a good way to see where things stood.
Old July 2, 2013, 11:56 PM   #374
Silver00LT

Quote:
I found some Federal .22lr for $14.36 (325 round box) and Federal 9mm FMJ for $21.36 (100 round box) at Wally World yesterday. I put the 9mm on Armslist for $35 just to test the waters and no bites. I think that's a good sign that maybe people are at a saturation point and things my be getting back to a more normal state of affairs where I live. I didn't really want to sell the 9mm anyway, I just thought it was a good way to see where things stood.
I was going to highly dislike that til I read everything. Smart way to do it!

Local walmart been getting in random boxes here and there. They had a box of 38 special for $36(100). Parents didn't want to spend that as their last box of 50 lasted a few years.

Thinking about adding a 38 spec die set to my collection and load up some components for when they want to range shoot.

Last edited by Silver00LT; July 3, 2013 at 07:15 PM.
Old July 3, 2013, 07:14 AM   #375
Swampman1

Quote:
I didn't really want to sell the 9mm anyway, I just thought it was a good way to see where things stood.
Closed Thread