The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old September 23, 2012, 08:23 PM   #1
Addison Fats

Palma Rifles Value questions

I have a neighbor who was a champion palma shooter. He still shoots, but his eyesight and age have forced him to move to scoped rifles. He has two 308 rifles he used in some of his palma matches. One is a Winchester Model 70 1876-1976 Palma match rifle that he shot one match with, and won. The other rifle is an Omark Model 44 that he used for about a year. He also has the Blazer and hat from the match he won in Australia in 1976. His name is Bert Laberge.

The Winchester is in excellent condition, having only shot the 80 or so rounds he used in that match. He also has a full box of the ammo he used, I believe it's Winchester Palma Ammo (marked on the box), plus two boxes of spent casings in the same type of boxes. The rifle has the typical aperature front and rear sights, the metal forend piece (I assume for bracing in an offhand hold or for hooking over a rest, excuse my ignorance) and the original box.

The Omark has was used in a few matches and shows a bit of wear. It also has the aperature front and rear sights, and the original box.

He is interested in selling both rifles, the ammo and casings, and the blazer and hat. I told him I would assist him, but I have no idea of the value of the individual items or of the package as a whole. He said he would also dictate a narrative of the use of both rifles and the match information if anyone was interested.

If anyone can give me some help with placing a value on these items I would be very grateful. I never heard of Palma until I met this fellow a few months ago. He is still shooting 300 yard groups that put my 100 yard groups to shame, and I'd like to help him if possible.

I'll post some pictures of the rifles tomorrow. The blazer is a navy blue jacket size 44 I believe, with a red white and blue patch. The hat is a blue light-weight brimmed hat with a red, white and blue ribbon. Everything is in excellent condition.

Thanks
Addison Fats

Last edited by Addison Fats; September 24, 2012 at 10:25 AM.
Old September 26, 2012, 10:09 AM   #2
kraigwy

I'd sure like to see pictures of the Model 70
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old September 26, 2012, 11:19 AM   #3
Addison Fats

Sorry about that, I was going to post the pics and then work rudely stepped in an stole my attention. I have the pictures on my home computer and will post them this evening.

Thanks for the reminder.
Addison Fats
Old September 26, 2012, 04:57 PM   #4
Bart B.

That rifle may be one of the dozens used in the 1976 Palma matches at Camp Perry Ohio, USA. Winchester made them with special markings on the 26" barrel and a unique trigger. They shot Winchester Match ammo that year which did well in those Winchester barrels. They all had a few hundred rounds through them when bought by the match participants. Their bridge had a clip guide for reloading in rapid fire matches. Redfield sights were used; International on the back end and Big Bore up front.

I had one for a few years and it did great with Western match ammo with 197-gr. HPBT Winchester match bullets. Best accuracy's been with bullets at least .3086" diameter.

More info on all the Winchester Palma rifles is at:

http://riflemansjournal.blogspot.com...ma-rifles.html

Last edited by Bart B.; September 26, 2012 at 05:04 PM.