The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old June 1, 2010, 07:28 PM   #1
ThomasH

USPSA Production, how many magazines do I need?

Hi folks,

I have recently moved form Kalifornia to Ohio, and I am enjoying the pro-gun culture here. I may start shooting USPSA at the Miami Rifle and Pistol Club, and I bought a nice Springfield XD(M) in .40 caliber to get started. (All my other pistols are revolvers, including a sweet S&W 646, so I may shoot that as well.)

My question is when shooting "Production" with the 10 round per magazine limit, how many magazines should I own? I haven't seen too many stations that use more then 24 shots, but I have only observed one match. Also I may miss a few!

Question 1) Is three magazines "plenty" for my XD(M) or should I carry four? Or more!!?!

Question 2) My S&W 646 uses moon rings, is there a "moon ring holder" kinda thing for the belt? How do you revolver shooters carry your moon rings?

Thanks for any help you can provide! The weather here in Cincinnati is not as nice as it was in Santa Cruz, but I sure like the politics better!

- Thomas
Old June 2, 2010, 04:24 AM   #2
dukeofurl

I've shot IPSC a few times in production and I had three mags on my belt and started with one in the gun. I put another mag in my back pocket as a stage saver.

Its all really dependent on how long the courses of fire are at your range. If you have small bays and everyone turns and burns quickly you can get by with 3 mags + whatever's in the gun. If things get elaborate or SHTF like, I've seen guys pack THREE of the Fobus Dual Mag Holders on their body and still run out in Production.
Old June 2, 2010, 04:25 AM   #3
dukeofurl

PS - Don't say Moon Ring. Its a moon clip. If you google Moon Clip holder instead of moon ring you may get substantially more results.
Old June 2, 2010, 07:51 AM   #4
ThomasH

Thank You!

Thanks "duke", much appreciated.

I'll keep the "moon rings" with my whitewall tires from now on!

- Thomas
Old June 2, 2010, 09:03 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

minimum

4 on the belt, one in the gun.
More is better (my minimum is six mags).
Old June 3, 2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Snow Dog

I'm not sure about USPSA but I know in IPSC the longest course of fire will be 32 rounds. You would be reloading while on the move so having extra mags is always a good idea - dropping one or knocking one loose does happen (ask me how I know ). I like to use six mags - one in the gun and the rest on the belt.
Old June 5, 2010, 09:12 PM   #7
ThomasH

Thanks for the advice gentleman, I guess I'll get some extra mags. It's not like they are that heavy!

"More is better (my minimum is six..." Hmm, I seem to recall this statement being made by a lady, in a different context!

- Thomas
Old June 7, 2010, 02:31 PM   #8
bsbllrooster10

I have 4 mags and actually ran out of ammo at one of the stages in my last match. More is always better. I would say 6 is plenty though.
Old June 9, 2010, 11:48 AM   #9
wilkersk

Six is good. You can get by with 5 if you make your reloads as planned. But, I've fumbled a reload, shot to slide-lock and still left steel standing on 32 round open field stages.

Besides, if you ever need to clean the mud out of your mags in between stages, theres always a chance of launching your spring and follower into the netherworld. Good to have that extra mag.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:16 AM   #10
fxdrider

I shot my first "Production" division match a couple of weeks ago. I have six mags, and the most I needed on a single stage was 4. However...because the range was very dusty & sandy(no grass), I found that I had to disassemble and thoroughly clean each mag I used before the next stage so that I'd always have enough. If I had a few more mags, I could have comfortably gone a couple of stages between cleanings. Better to have too many than not enough.
Old June 22, 2010, 11:21 AM   #11
RickB

Have four on the belt, and keep the barney mag stoked, just in case. I shot Limited 10 for ten years, never carried more than four mags on the belt, and can think of only a handful of times when I had to go to the hip pocket.
Old June 22, 2010, 10:07 PM   #12
Pathfinder 1

The mag info was great is great to know. I'm thinking of doing some shooting besides Bullseye and I'm wondering what the difference is between IPSC and IDPA. USPSA is more expensive to shoot right...more ammo?
Old June 23, 2010, 02:33 PM   #13
RickB

IDPA equipment rules are very much like USPSA's rules for Single Stack and Production; not a lot of changes to what most would consider "stock" guns.
Course of Fire rules for IDPA emphasize that targets are "threats", and that you treat them as if they're shooting back, by engaging from positions of simulated cover; walls, trees, vehicles, etc. Since the scenarios are supposed to represent "realistic" (somewhat plausible) defensive situations, the number of targets and number of threat targets is low. In my local area, typical USPSA matches are six or seven stages, and 150-200 rounds. Typical outdoor IDPA matches are the same number of stages, but only about 100 rounds. The two sports are much more similar than they are different.
Old June 27, 2010, 05:36 PM   #14
WESHOOT2

the 'difference':

IDPA: The procedure is proscribed; execution is measured.

USPSA: The problem is shooter-solved; decisions and their execution are measured.

I personally prefer the increased mental challenge of USPSA. One may also shoot it exactly like 'IDPA', but one will 'lose'.
BOTH beat not competing.
Old June 30, 2010, 11:50 PM   #15
Lead Junkie

I say go with 5. 4 on the belt and one in your hand/pocket to be used when make ready. This will do just fine for your average match. That is unless you throw a whole mags worth of lead at a piece of steel.

There was a match here in CO that I wanted to shoot but didn't because I would have needed at least three more mags. Each stage had a minimum 60 round count. One stage was sixty pieces of steel. It had 2 Texas stars. Really I wouldn't want to shoot a match like that with anything less than 10 mags.