The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 4, 2008, 12:19 AM   #1
butta9999

Im coming to America

Im coming to America on the 6th of April next year. Its a bit of a family thing but was wondering What sort of hunting is done that time of year?

Ill be going to Ardmore in Philadelphia, thats where the family lives. What sort of hunting is there is Philly if any at all?

What sort of permits would i have to acquire if i were to go on a guided hunt somewhere in the state.

Also What quality gun and hunting shops do they have in philly addresses would be good. I would like to do a stock up while i am there if the prices are better than Australia.
Old November 4, 2008, 01:08 AM   #2
B. Lahey

Looks like there is a spring turkey season around then. There is also apparently year-round hunting of coyotes, possums, skunks, weasels, and a few kinds of non-native birds:

http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/cwp/v...a=460&q=161003

It may be kind of expensive for the permit, US states tend to charge extra for non-resident hunting. You will probably be limited to your own firearms, I don't think you can buy one here without becoming a legal resident. You should be able to bring some over without too many hassles. It is done regularly. Somebody will be along directly with more specific info I'm sure.

Philly may have some wacky laws, but there isn't much to hunt in the city anyway as far as I know. There's lots of good hunting to be had in Pennsylvania, though. I bet you can find something.
Old November 4, 2008, 01:31 AM   #3
FrontSight

you can maybe find pheasant hunting and probably big game hunting on ranches, that don't require permits. it's not real hunting, but might be worth it for you rather than having to buy a license...
Old November 4, 2008, 02:43 AM   #4
butta9999

when you say ranch do you mean a property that has game on it? Like species of deer or wild pigs which they breed for hunting purposes.
Old November 4, 2008, 02:51 AM   #5
Pilot

Quote:
when you say ranch do you mean a property that has game on it? Like species of deer or wild pigs which they breed for hunting purposes.

Yes. There are game preserves, many breed Pheasants or other game birds for hunting. Your best bet is to drive a couple hours west of Philly towards Central PA. Lancaster, Lebanon, Harrisiburg, York areas. There are state game lands as well as State Forests that allow hunting.

Its been a few years since I've been in Ardmore, but I went to college not too far from there and still own property a bit west of there. Check out French Creek Outfitters in Phoenixville, PA which is about a 20 - 30 minute drive from Ardmore depending on traffic. They can set you up with an out of state hunting license and give info on places to hunt. They also have a good selection of firearms.
Old November 4, 2008, 04:28 AM   #6
butta9999

Pilot

Pilot thanks mate for the great info.. That was the biggest thing for me having someone to provide firearms. It so so so much paper work for me to bring guns out of Australia..

Thanks again
Old November 4, 2008, 12:16 PM   #7
FrontSight

Ranches, yes, some of them are bred & raised in captivity, like pheasants, sheep bison, elk, etc. and some are captured wild & then transported, like wild boar.

Although you are guaranteed a harvest, I had a 200 pound wild boar charge me from 60 yards at Tioga, so don't let ANYONE tell you they are tame!! Nothing so focuses the mind, body and soul as something large & fast with very big & sharp tusks coming full tilt at you & bent on serving you your own ass! Deer hunting will never be the same for me again after that...

If you want to hunt for big game, then this place is TOP NOTCH, and I can't say enough good things about them! The lodging is cosy & very comfortable, the country beautiful, the food is awesome and over adundant, and the people are very, very nice. I got a 200 pounder, and my buddy got a FOUR HUNDRED POUNDER!! Swear on a stack of bibles...I have pics if anyone wants.

http://www.tiogaboarhunting.com/
Old November 4, 2008, 12:24 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

If you want to fly to florida for a day you can hunt hogs mith either a shotgun loaded with slugs or a .30-30 lever gun with me on private land (not game ranch) with no permit required... Hope you get an american hunt while here!
Brent
Old November 4, 2008, 12:33 PM   #9
10-96

Quote:
Im coming to America
Whew! I was skeered Neil Diamond was going to show up in this conversation.

PS: Appologies to folks under 40 if that don't make much sense.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old November 4, 2008, 09:01 PM   #10
butta9999

sounds awesome hotdogs ill see how i go.
Old November 4, 2008, 11:19 PM   #11
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

sounds cool just keep me posted so I can have the permission all set up with land owner/s and ammo for your choice of hog medicine so you can get used to it... Love to host you in the Florida "bush"...
Brent
Old November 4, 2008, 11:37 PM   #12
Swampghost

hogdogs, I've never met an Aussie that I didn't like. That's a generous offer and I hope that you get to meet him. Stock up on some Foster's.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:00 AM   #13
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Maybe he can sneak some OZ spirits or something! I have partied pretty hard with some d-under guys! Never hunted with one yet! BTW, If you don't mind minimal accommodations you can crash here at the house. That is if you make momma hogdogs feel comfortable leading up to a visit.
Brent
Old November 5, 2008, 12:16 AM   #14
fisherman66

I say take HD up on his offer. Big game hunting is pretty limited at that time. I think Southwest Airlines could make that connection. When we get closer (Mid March) bring this thread up or send me a PM and if I haven't used my free tickets I will throw one your way.
Old November 5, 2008, 12:19 AM   #15
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Just bring a paper money note with the camel... I always heard about "racing camels" for a unofficial gambling game...
Brent
Old November 5, 2008, 04:32 AM   #16
butta9999

Too generous boys,.... Ill have to try and work it in with the wife. See if i can fly out for a couple of Philly for a couple of days.
Old November 5, 2008, 06:08 AM   #17
heyduke

Quote:
Stock up on some Foster's.
The common misconception that Americans make about Aussies is that they love Foster's beer. Usually I've found in my travels that is far from the case.

Fosters is nothing more than a cruel joke and an American bastardization gimmick IMO

That said, drink enough, and it will get you drunk.
Old November 5, 2008, 09:30 AM   #18
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

What is a TRUE aussie brew? And is there a truly aussie liquor "type" not just brand but a truly d-under spirit?
Brent
Old November 5, 2008, 11:20 PM   #19
butta9999

Fosters is a pretty bad beer. Our local beer is VB (victoria bitter), Melbourne Bitter, Pure Blond, Hahn, Tooheys, and we love our imported beer. Heinekin and Corona and the rest. There is actually too many to mention.

All scotch like Johnnie Walker ( i have the blue label at home), I love my Wild Turkey around the camp fire after a hunt, which is Bourbon of course. Jim Beam not bad.

Love the aussie Red Wine.
Old November 5, 2008, 11:52 PM   #20
globemaster3

I'll never forget when our first Aussie class came through the C-17 Globemaster FTU. When the topic of Fosters came up, they just laughed and said Fosters is just the junk beer they export to America. I can neither confirm nor deny that a plane arrived later with their senior staff and had a generous quantity of real Aussie beer. I can neither confirm or deny that it was good stuff, too! Again, not confirming or denying...

Big game is going to be limited in Apr in PA. Try the outfitter and being from Florida myself and having chased hogs numerous times, I highly suggest making it there if you can. One big piney woods rooter can make your day!

Let us know how it works out for you!
Old November 6, 2008, 12:11 AM   #21
butta9999

I will mate it looks like now its either going to be late March or mid May... There is no flights in April on the dates that we want. So its back to the drawing board for me.

But i am coming though.
Old November 8, 2008, 01:05 PM   #22
Pilot

Quote:
When the topic of Fosters came up, they just laughed and said Fosters is just the junk beer they export to America

Actually the Fosters we get in the U.S. is made by Labatt's in Canada under a licensing agreement.
Old November 8, 2008, 03:00 PM   #23
22-rimfire

The only legal hunting in PA during that time of the year is Spring Turkey. You might consider some fishing. The trout fishing can be very good if you know where to go. You can check the season dates if you go to the PA Game Commission web site.

In May some folks will begin to hunt groundhogs out in the country. It is fun if you have a place to go. You won't be hunting state game lands for ground hogs. You'll have to seek out farmers and get permission to hunt on their property.

Last edited by 22-rimfire; November 8, 2008 at 03:22 PM.
Old November 8, 2008, 03:32 PM   #24
BobR

You may want to join www.predatormasters.com . There are quite a few people there from the northeast who enjoy whistlepig (groundhog) hunting. I am willing to bet someone would love to take you along. That is just the way I have seen most shooters take care of visitors.

bob
Old November 8, 2008, 11:12 PM   #25
butta9999

cheers thanks fore the feed back