The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old June 26, 2012, 09:19 PM   #1
Newton24b

sw9ve

the ony bad things i can find out about it are from 5-6 years ago, when the whole sigma line was introduced with a few flaws.
What i want to know is how much improved are they?
Old June 27, 2012, 12:36 AM   #2
Mosin44az

Should be about the same, which isn't bad, as long as we are talking about the VE models and not the earliest Sigmas.

Looks like Smith came out with more recent versions, called the SD 9 and SD 40. Saw these were discontinued but then maybe started up again. Has the updated light rail and a standard front night sight I think, but it clearly based on the Sigma design. Oh and the trigger is supposedly improved.....
Old June 27, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3
willmc33

The new SD models replacing the Sigma have me thinking 1 thing. If Sigmas were already cheap when these start hitting the shelves I wonder how cheap you will be able to pick up a Sigma then?
Old June 27, 2012, 12:55 AM   #4
Mosin44az

Rereading the OP, Sigmas were introduced about FIFTEEN years ago, and had a number of issues including bad extraction.

As far as I can tell and from all I've read, the VE models were improved versions and solved the reliability problems of the original Sigmas. They've been around awhile, several years at least. Still have the heavier,longer DAO-style trigger that some dislike. I've never minded it.

The SD9 and SD 40 came out a couple of years ago and have the further improvements I've noted above.

The SDs look like they cost about 100 bucks more than the SW9/40ves. Basically the standard light rail, night sights and better trigger cover that gap, in my opinion.
Old June 27, 2012, 06:53 AM   #5
loose_holster_dan

the sw9ve was the only gun i sold within a week of owning it. that was the worst gun i have ever owned (including a couple of taurus 9mms)
"A Sig is like a lightsaber - not as clumsy or random as a Glock."
Old June 27, 2012, 07:17 AM   #6
Onward Allusion

2nd gen Sigmas (SW9VE & SW40VE) are a great deal if you can shoot a heavy DA trigger like a revolver at 11 to 12 lbs. Old skool...in real Double Action mode and not girly man Single Action on a Double Action Revolver mode.

There's also S&W's latest generation - gen 4 I like to call 'em... SD9VE & SD40VE... They have a lighter smoother 8lb trigger, front (tacky) serrations on the slide, stippling on the grips, & a textured finger locator (to train the newbie on trigger control). Take down and mags are the same (diff base plate). Finally, the 4th gen has a standard rail so you can add accessories w/o an adapter.

So.......
- 1st gen Sigma - sometimes a good deal depending on QA - discontinued
- 2nd gen Sigma (SWxxVE) - great deal - still in production - probably going to be discontinued soon
- 3rd gen Sigma - SD9 & SD40 - minor improvements to 2nd gen - better trigger & standard rail - now discontinued
- 4th gen Sigma - SD9VE & SD40VE - improved per above... pricing pretty darn good for a new pistol.

All solid reliable pistols. Inexpensive and can be tossed in special places and also offsite.
Old June 27, 2012, 08:09 AM   #7
carguychris

Quote:
Looks like Smith came out with more recent versions, called the SD 9 and SD 40. Saw these were discontinued but then maybe started up again. Has the updated light rail and a standard front night sight I think, but it clearly based on the Sigma design.
The new SD9/40 VE Sigmas no longer have the front night sight like the previous SDs. S&W also ditched the matte black Melonite slide finish. However, in the plus column, both the older and newer SD pistols reportedly use the same size sights as an M&P full-size or compact (the subcompact Shields take smaller sights). This is a Good Thing because SD buyers can take advantage of the growing M&P aftermarket. Previous Sigma pistols did not have many aftermarket sight options, probably because of limited enthusiast interest in upgrading a cheap pistol.

S&W press releases imply that the new SD trigger is a new and improved design, but I haven't seen any technical article that confirms whether it's fundamentally different or it's basically the old trigger with a lighter pull.

Also, one little bitty nitpick: S&W puts a space between the caliber and the "VE" on the new pistols, e.g. it's SD9 VE, not SD9VE.
Quote:
...mags are the same (diff base plate).
The old SD pistols also took a different and proprietary magazine; however, I've not seen confirmation that (a) the old and new SD mags interchange and/or (b) double-stack Sigma mags will fit in the new SDs.

If the older Sigma mags will work, IMHO this is also a Good Thing; I predict a long-term glut of cheap and lightly used Sigma mags because S&W ran several consecutive "$50 Rebate or 2 Free Mags" promotions from 2008-2010, so there are a LOT of extra mags floating around.
Quote:
If Sigmas were already cheap when these start hitting the shelves I wonder how cheap you will be able to pick up a Sigma then?
I suspect that the price won't drop much because many Sigma buyers aren't enthusiasts- i.e. many buyers go to the gun store to buy A PISTOL, not this pistol in particular, and choose the Sigma simply because it's an inexpensive product with a recognizable brand name in a potent caliber.

Last edited by carguychris; June 27, 2012 at 02:00 PM. Reason: reword to correct mistake
Old June 27, 2012, 08:20 AM   #8
carguychris

Footnote re: Magazines...

I answered one of my own questions re: SD mags.

From S&W's product info page...
Quote:
Magazines for current SD are compatible with SDVEā„¢
Still not sure whether Sigma mags work though!
Old June 27, 2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Newton24b

it just had SW9VE on the tag, but it looks like every other 9ve that shows up with google photos. i still wonder about the rail though, just a light groove on either side.

I got to play with it for a while, and it was an ergonomic friend. the trigger pull felt better and smoother then the j frames in the case. Thats kinda hard to do according to the magazines.
Old June 27, 2012, 07:04 PM   #10
cocojo

I own a S&W SD9mm and it's an outstanding handgun. I am a Glock guy and I have too say I really love the sd line. I know they dicontinued them but just brought them back without the melonite finish and night sight but it's still the same gun. My trigger is very smooth and shoots excellent. I have over 1300 rounds through my gun shows no signs of wear. If you take the gun apart everything is Glock it's uncanny. They have discontinued the sigma line and this SD is not sigma at all. They should call it a Glockma. The best part about this gun is the extractor which is fixed and extremely reliable. No failures of any kind with this gun. My Glock 23 needs repair keeps failing to extract and has all new parts. I may just buy another SD if i can find one they are that good. I do prefer the original SD line I like black finished guns. Absolutely a super gun and I wrote to smith telling them that.