The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 2, 2005, 11:18 PM   #1
JGIORD

IWB vs OWB pros and cons

Can someone give me the basic pros and cons on a IWB vs an OWB holster. I have a Glock G19 and am looking into a holster, but not sure which is better and the advantages and disadvantages of each.

Looking for some experienced input.

Thanks
Old September 2, 2005, 11:35 PM   #2
bulbboy

Depends on how you dress, where you work, etc. I like to have an IWB and and OWB for all my carry guns. I wear slacks and golf/casual shirt for work - so I use a Galco "Glove" Ankle holster for my G27. I also have a Milt Sparks Versa Max 2 on order - IWB and tuckable. I use a High Noon Holster "Hidden Ally" for my Kahr MK9 - its IWB and tuckable as well. I have a couple of K & D Holsters on order that are a OWB belt slide. It usually takes a couple of holsters before you find the right one for you! I am a little overweight so IWB in the front doesnt work well but it works great in the 4 - 6 oclock range. Keep looking at all the threads and checking out websites
www.miltsparks.com
www.highnoonholsters.com
www.kdholsters.com
Good luck
Old September 3, 2005, 12:01 AM   #3
Dust_Devil

IWB - pros = better concealment.
- cons = may require buying larger waist size pants to comfortably fit holster and weapon. May feel uncomortable at first. Wearing at least 2 shirts is usually needed- one undershirt to protect body from gun and holster and second shirt to cover.

OWB - pros = simpler to wear. Can wear more choices of clothing and not worry about needing to buy extra large pants to fit holster in waistline.
- cons = less concealment. holster could get caught up on something.

Cons for both = having to always wear shirt hanging out or wearing a jacket to cover and keep concealed.

I use the Predator brand holsters. I have both the IWB and OWB models.
I use the IWB as the clothes I wear right now, I would need better concealment nd having a weapon inside the pants shows less of a print of the weapon and less of a danger it being exposed.
Old September 5, 2005, 03:36 PM   #4
JGIORD

Thanks
Old September 11, 2005, 11:06 AM   #5
Eric Larsen

Good information passed on....
Just remember when choosing either one...keep it simple. Many people over complicate the holster choosing process. Find one that fits your needs, gun and environment.
Keep the gun close to the body, dont compromise grip access and make it concealable. Other than that theres not much to it.

Shoot well.

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old September 11, 2005, 05:04 PM   #6
9teen11spv

I carry IWB 90% of the time.. I carry OWB in the winter time.

I prefer Blade-Tech. holsters.
Old September 11, 2005, 05:53 PM   #7
AK103K

I too prefer the Blade Tech holsters. I've used one daily for about 10 years now. The IWB at around 4 o'clock is the most concealable holster going. They do take a little getting used to at first, but once you do, they are very comfortable and secure. I dont buy my pants any bigger than I normally wear, they are a little snugger with the holster inside your pants, but it helps hold things in place better. Also, even though its inside your pants, you still need an good gun belt.