The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old February 1, 2005, 05:58 PM   #1
COWCHIT

Old European Side By Need Help

12 Ga. Hammerless Very Highly Engraved, Wonderful Wood. Only Markings Are Under The Fore Stock.
One Barrell Is (acier Comprime St Etienne 18.4)
Other Barrell (canon Fancet St Etienne 18.4) 327 In Center Double Trigger Very Ornate In Pristine Condition Has A Crown Mark With Pt Underneath I Would To Know The Make And The Age If Anyone Can Help.
Old February 2, 2005, 04:42 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

From what I can gather it is French or Belgium made. Acier is French for Steel and cannon barrell.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1-Belgian Proof Marks.jpg (27.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg 1- Spanish Proof Marks-1.jpg (45.9 KB, 54 views)
File Type: jpg 1-Belgian Proof Marks-1.jpg (31.9 KB, 73 views)
Old February 2, 2005, 09:52 AM   #3
fal308
Staff Alumnus

St Etienne was one of the major Frecnh arms centers.
The crown with PT underneath is for barrels proofed with semi-smokeless T powder at St Etienne. Introduced after 1900. If the PT actually looks like this (P.T.) it is a provisional proof and not a final proof.
As to the maker, it appears to be someone called Fancet. I can find no references to this firm though. Acier Comprime refers to the steel used in the barrels. There should be other markings on the barrels also as all guns that pass proof are also marked with the weight of the barrel, the length of the barrel in mm, the above-mentioned factory mark, the caliber or gauge and the length of the chamber. Only the proof house at St. Etienne uses the mark "Normal" and this is used if all of the above barrel and chamber information is within normal limits.

Information from The Standard Directory of Proof Marks
Old February 2, 2005, 10:32 AM   #4
COWCHIT

Thanks That Is A Ton More Than I Had Prior. I Will Keep Going Over The Gun. Is There Anyplace I Could Take It To Find Out More
Old February 17, 2005, 10:35 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Acier complime means "compressed steel", but I have no idea what that means in terms of barrel making. It could mean forged, but I can't find anywhere that translates it that way.

18.4mm is the metric way of saying 12 gauge, which you already knew.

Jim