The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old January 8, 2012, 09:42 PM   #1
4runnerman

Coyote Hunting

Hey all. First time yote hunter here ( Very green). Was wondering. Today i went to bosses place to shoot. Layed down in grass 2 feet tall with bipod. Needless to say it really limits your view. Was wondering how many use a portable shooting table and cover it in those camo blankets when you go out?.I have seem some neat table set-ups that you can carry with you and weight only 35 lbs.
Old January 8, 2012, 09:58 PM   #2
towboat-er

I usually just lean against a tree, or fence post. That or shoot offhand.
Old January 8, 2012, 10:10 PM   #3
4runnerman

I was up on a hill so ,, out a distance i could see better. I did finally get up and hid in the tree line,but now i stand for 6 hrs or more. Other options?????
Old January 8, 2012, 10:15 PM   #4
shootniron

Quote:
stand for 6 hrs or more
Were you on one stand that long?
Old January 8, 2012, 10:43 PM   #5
towboat-er

I dont like to pack much. This is my favorite type of seat.
http://www.amazon.com/Game-Portable-...6080147&sr=1-7
Old January 8, 2012, 10:46 PM   #6
3kgt2nv

get a nice sling and learn to shoot using it to stabilize yourself or pick up a nice shooting stick. alot lighter than 35 pounds
Old January 9, 2012, 06:34 AM   #7
4runnerman

Were you on one stand that long?

Yes. I have one chunk of land to hunt in right now.(new to this thing) and have no idea where alse to go. I have a very good view from up there. I can see over 1 mile all directions other than the woods behind me. Very Beautiful place.

I do have a hot seat almost like the one pictured but if i sit in that tall grass it really restricts my view. I guess im just learning the ropes right now. I am as Green as they come as far as this goes. I can shoot off a shooting stick,tree branch ect ect,but im still just standing there. I know it's a patiance game for sure. I just thought a small bench set up would be the way to go. I can drive all the way to about 20 feet from where i need to walk through a tree line to pop out the other side,so a 35 lb bench is not a big deal.

Last edited by 4runnerman; January 9, 2012 at 06:40 AM.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:14 AM   #8
HALL,AUSTIN

Where I hunt if you drive up to the spot you wish to hunt the coyotes will be long gone. I make a point to walk a good ways to my makeshift blind
Old January 9, 2012, 07:42 AM   #9
4runnerman

Very good point Hall. I did walk it yesterday,about 3/4 mile to the spot. The yotes (he says) all come from the other side of the tree line. He says you need to call them in from a long ways. Im thinking my truck on other side of tree line is not to much of a issue( I think). since they all come from the other direction. He says you can see them coming in from a long ways out there. I park on the East side of the tree line. Tree line is maybe 20 to 30 feet wide,Very very thick and the yotes come in from a mile or so to the West side of the tree line.
Old January 9, 2012, 07:44 AM   #10
homesick

Are you using a call?
Old January 9, 2012, 09:04 AM   #11
HALL,AUSTIN

I use a wounded rabbit squealer, works wonders. BUT thats because I do not have an electric call
Old January 9, 2012, 10:30 AM   #12
rickyrick

Depending on the backdrop, lighting ect. You can stand up, but It's best to sit when possible.
Old January 9, 2012, 11:17 AM   #13
"JJ"

You can get you a Turkey Lounger. It is obviously made for turkey hunting, but a lot of people use it for predator hunting. That and a nice pair of shooting sticks will allow you to both set up a bit above the grass and get a semi-stable rest. Be careful not to over call the spot. If a coyote or two comes in and senses something it doesn't like, it can make a quick exit without you even knowing it was there! Then if you continue to call for that long, it can educate them to associate that sound with man and stop investigating it. Most predator hunters will call a spot from 15 minutes to sometimes 45 minutes. The later when bobcats are expected! Probably 95% of called coyotes come in between 3-12 minute mark. You will have some that break the rules. As for the coyotes ALWAYS coming in from the West, there is no always when dealing with coyotes! Once you think you have them figured out, they will prove you wrong!
Old January 9, 2012, 02:12 PM   #14
4runnerman

Yes. I use my friends electric caller. It has about 12 different calls in it. I use it for about 5 minutes and then wait 1/2 hr or so before i hit it again. I will have to look at that Turkey Lounger thing. Keep the hints coming as im as green as they come.
Old January 9, 2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Buzzcook

Get a camp stool and a small collapsible table.

http://www.rei.com/product/765278/rei-camp-stool

http://www.rei.com/product/378009/ca...e-roll-a-table

Heck you're not that far from your truck get an easy chair
Old January 9, 2012, 02:31 PM   #16
603Country

Going on what I see around here, coyotes will usually approach a caller or a smell (dead pig) from downwind. But if they are just traveling or roaming, they can be anywhere. As for shooting places or positions, I prefer to be up high if possible (ladder stand or climbing stand). If I was hunting from the ground, like I used to when deer hunting, I carried a shooting stick. Nothing fancy, but just a light branch with a fork on the top end and cut to the length I'd need to shoot from the stool. That worked fine for deer if the wind was right, but I'd get more seriously camo'd up for coyote. Those sneaky rascals can just glide in on you and be almost impossible to see as the day gets later. As for bobcats, I don't think they care as much about wind direction.
Old January 9, 2012, 05:52 PM   #17
rickyrick

Here's a real good tip that I learned the hard way........... be mindful, when using mouth blown calls, as to the position of the calls exhaust in reference to the position of your rifle scope. For the tale is told, the lens of the scope will frost up. You will have to be quick with a greasy thumb...
Old January 10, 2012, 06:56 AM   #18
4runnerman

All great points. One more question. Im shooting from on top a hill downward.

If i remember right.Please correct me if not,Since i have not had oppertunity to shoot yet.

Shooting down hill-Your POI will rise said amout from zero.
Old January 10, 2012, 07:44 AM   #19
Magnum Mike

Quote:
but now i stand for 6 hrs or more. Other options
To long in one spot! I spent 6 hours covering 5 spots in a 20 mile radius. 20 minutes in a spot should be long enough.
Here's a site that will give you some more info.

http://buckingtheodds.com/videos/coy...dds/#more-3119
Old January 10, 2012, 09:39 AM   #20
warbirdlover

Build a small blind! Nothing fancy, just to hide you. Animals will get used to it. Or put up a portable. Then a nice, comfy swivel chair of some sort and you're set. If it rains you stay dry also.
Old January 10, 2012, 11:23 AM   #21
Wyoredman

Practice shooting from a sitting position, Elbows reting on your knees, bone on bone.

You are not shooting groups, you are shooting coyotes. Then put your cammo on and try it.

Some guys I hunt with use two sticks, crossed and tied with a strip of leather as a rest when sitting on stand.

Finally, be prepared to take an off-hand shot! I have had many a calling session where I never see a coyote until I stand up. There they are, 50 yards away! Shoot fast before they realize what you are!

Remeber, you are shooting at a target that is 8", so you don't need to put three rounds into MOA. You only need one in the boiler!
Old January 10, 2012, 04:27 PM   #22
Buzzcook

Quote:
If i remember right.Please correct me if not,Since i have not had oppertunity to shoot yet.

Shooting down hill-Your POI will rise said amout from zero.
If you search the rifle forum you'll find several threads on that topic.
The short answer is yes, but that under 300yds it doesn't matter that much.
Old January 10, 2012, 08:43 PM   #23
johnwilliamson062

Learn to levitate. takes a while to get to where you can hold stable, but then you leave these problems in the dust.
Old January 10, 2012, 10:02 PM   #24
HALL,AUSTIN

Prebait

I prebait the 2 spots that i hunt (I usually hunt once a week). I put deer guts easily procured from local butchers or friends. Im going to try pig, i have a buddy who farms pigs. I will try any meat as bait i can get my hands on. The coyotes come to it usually within one or two calls, it is very easy. In my woods it works, your experience may vary though, i only hunt nc for yotes
Old January 10, 2012, 10:23 PM   #25
johnwilliamson062

How often do you bait the location? Daily, once a week?