The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 2, 2005, 12:37 AM   #1
Wildalaska

Ooo! Oooo! Something New!

I was teased today by being told that within the next few days I am gonna be one of the few civis in the country to get his grubby little paws on the new Trijicon TAO31RCO (marine optic)...

If true, expect a range report as I will see whether this fine piece of milspec glass turns my uncleaned ninjafied 14.5 in bushy M4gery into a fine snipyer rah-fle.

Old spiffy be jealous, my ninja level just went off the scale.

WildwillkeepyapostedAlaska
Old June 2, 2005, 04:18 AM   #2
homeka45

Does this mean you're going to the dark(tactical) side? Say it isn't so!
Old June 2, 2005, 10:44 AM   #3
Wildalaska

Yep...even gonna change my name to Darth Ninja

WildtritnumAlaska
Old June 2, 2005, 11:06 AM   #4
spacemanspiff

fancy gadgets do not a ninja make, padawan.
Old June 2, 2005, 01:00 PM   #5
Billy Sparks

When you finally strap a flashlight on a Colt 1911 we will know that you have moved to the darkside.
Old June 4, 2005, 11:25 AM   #6
Wildalaska

Its here....

First impressions...

Mega Ninja...comes in a desert tan pouch! The optics are crisp as are all Trijis, in fact, incredably bright...looks like a tank..

Adjustment caps are secured by cables, nice touch. Has a lens pen and manual

Mine is the M4 version, its marked on the bottom of the field of view inside.

It has the standard TA31 chevron reticle...and...a set of mil gradient lines off each side for calling in artillery or spotting...

Pics and range test tomorrow

Im thinking of a group buy on these...I think I can offer killer pricing if I pay Trij up front...gonna check...problem is its as much as a 7 month wait....

WildglowinthedarkAlaska
Old June 5, 2005, 05:53 PM   #7
akviper

Fine time to test it. It won't get dark outside for another three months.

aklemmeknowhowitworksinwinterviper
Old June 6, 2005, 11:47 AM   #8
spacemanspiff

now i'm feeling all inadequate....

trijicon seems to have done some major work on both their fiberoptics and tritium lamps. the difference between the brightness of the newer acogs reticles vs my tripower is huge. even with battery power i can't get my reticle to be as bright as the TAO31.

it is soooooo ninja. but i'm thinking i don't need that particular model. the acog without the windage marks would be sufficient for me.

and WA really needs some trigger time with his bushie. i was cutting 1/2 inch groups with his TAO31 while he was doing minute of pie plate.
Old June 6, 2005, 10:57 PM   #9
Eghad

did you say group buy?

I have an AR.........hrmmmmmmm

NRA Life Member
Old June 6, 2005, 11:02 PM   #10
Wildalaska

I just ordered a killflash for it....

The optics are sooooooooooooooo bright they hurt. I need to figure out a bit how it works....at 100 yards, the bullet hits the tip of the chevron...at 25 yards its a bit low...better take a look at the manual..

I also think an ARMS base would help since it would allow me to mount the optics further back a touch...

Co witnessing doesnt work with this...then again, having talked to a few recent grads of the Afhani/Iraq school of soldiering, no one co witnesses....if your optic dont work, tear it off...

WildkillflashAlaska
Old June 6, 2005, 11:30 PM   #11
IZinterrogator

Wild, do you have a website where I can get an ACOG killflash? I'm going to get a TA31RCO-A4 after I move into a new house (or apartment if the breaks don't go my way).
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old September 1, 2005, 05:47 PM   #12
IZinterrogator

Just got mine. I went with the M4 version since I got issued an M4 at work now (goodbye fixed carrying handle, hello optics!). Wild is right, this thing is so ninja! Now all I need is a GG&G MAD BUIS to go underneath the eyepiece and I'll be set. If you have the means, I highly suggest picking one of these up.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams