The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 25, 2019, 07:49 PM   #51
Webleymkv

I have a Beretta 950B "Jetfire" that has been totally reliable so long as I use factory Beretta magazines. The only time I've had trouble was when I tried to use Mec-Gar magazines (which I've had very good luck with in other pistols). With factory mags, I've never had a malfunction with Winchester, Remington, Fiocchi, S&B, or Prvi Partizan ammo though admittedly all of that has been 50gr FMJ (I think hollowpoints are kind of silly in .25 Auto).

I do, however, frequently get a bit of hammer bite from the little Beretta. Not enough to draw blood but enough that any more than 50 rounds in a sitting gets a bit uncomfortable and leaves a red patch on the web of my hand.

I agree with others here that the OP's most likely issue is a disagreement between the shape of his hands and the miniscule grip of most .25's. Though not a .25, I've seen this issue myself with my father and a Walther PPK/s. While we both have large hands, mine are shaped differently than my dad's as I have narrower palms and longer fingers than he does. The particular PPK/s that he had would shift around in his hand and cause malfunctions unless he repositioned his grip with every shot, certainly not a good thing for a defensive pistol. I, however, could take the same gun with the same mags and ammo and do rapid mag dumps with no issues. After trying several different types of ammo and grips, Dad finally gave up and traded it off for a Ruger LCR.
Old March 27, 2019, 01:15 AM   #52
HisSoldier

I enjoy my many .25 ACP's. They all function fine, but then I don't shoot hollowpoints as I have other guns for self defense.
If my gunsmith said he wouldn't work on a .25 ACP I'd wonder if he is one of the many such who "specializes" because they aren't real competent gunsmiths.
When I taught flying I had students like that, they didn't want to stall because that was "Scary", they didn't want to do steep turns for the same reason. I told them, if you are afraid of something make sure to do much more of that until you get past it.

The same goes for anything we want to be good at. Anyone who only does what they like to do is a hobbyist, but a professional tries to be good at everything.
CNC produced 416 stainless triggers to replace the plastic triggers on Colt Mustangs, Mustang Plus II's, MK IV Government .380's and Sig P238's and P938's. Plus Colt Mustang hardened 416 guide rods, and Llama .32 and .380 recoil spring buttons, checkered nicely and blued.
Old March 28, 2019, 12:14 PM   #53
darkgael

target

I shot this magazine full on Tuesday. At 3 yards...about as far as I would want to be with a .25. Gun was my little Bernardelli VP
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 25 ACP target 3 yards.jpg (25.3 KB, 25 views)
Old April 9, 2019, 10:55 PM   #54
test drive

I have a Astra Firecat made in 1963. Never have problems but as has been said hard ball ammo is the way to go. Also it’s easy for big hands to rub against the slide which will cause problems.
Old April 10, 2019, 07:53 PM   #55
Carmady

Most .25s I've had trouble with were the Zamak or pot metal guns. Dinged up mags don't help either.

Last edited by Carmady; April 11, 2019 at 11:03 PM.