The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 15, 2019, 10:17 AM   #26
hammie

I'm not going to recommend a revolver brand, but instead recommend a barrel length. Skeeter Skelton said that a 5 inch barrel was the goldilocks of length. Not too long and not too short, and I tend to agree. The ruger GP 100, the S&W 686 plus, and the S&W 629 classic, all come with 5 inch barrels. If the lever action chambering is not an absolute must, I would also look at the S&W performance center 986 in 9x19mm with a 5.5 inch barrel. It has great balance, fit, and finish, and 9mm ammunition is cheap and plentiful. If you're considering a 45 colt, then I would also consider the ruger redhawk with a 4.2 inch barrel and cut for moon clips so that it can fire either 45 colt or 45 acp.
Old March 15, 2019, 04:02 PM   #27
jetinteriorguy

If you're a hand loader, don't rule out a nice .41 mag. A nice S&W model 57 is pretty fun. I have had my 6" for almost 40 years and my 4" for about 2 years. They will go to my children when the time comes. My son actually has a tattoo of my 6" on his arm. I guess I know which one he wants.
Old March 15, 2019, 08:04 PM   #28
wild cat mccane

Remember on the S&W lock... IT's OVER 20 YEARS IN PRODUCTION.

You can't even find 10 instances of it false engaging on the internet.
Old March 15, 2019, 08:29 PM   #29
LineStretcher

I have Ruger and S&W Revolvers. I like them both but I lean towards the S&W for fit and finish. I've never had a problem with the lock on the S&W's and if I did, I'd just send it in and I know they would fix it, no questions asked. That's just the way they operate.

As for Caliber, a 22LR or 22Mag might be a fun place to start. Anybody can shoot it with ease and they can be very accurate. If you want a little more bang then the .357 Mag is the way to go. You can shoot 38 Special in it and it will be easy to handle but if you want to do a little more damage to your targets then jump up to the .357 Mag ammo and blast away. The .357 mag is a very competitive round and is also a very effective personal defense round.
Old March 15, 2019, 09:31 PM   #30
Drm50

I have had them all. If I had to have one for the purposes OP wants, it would be a S&W N
frame. I don't like the keyhole either but has no bearing on shooting. What ever cal. suits your needs but 357 with 6" is probably best all around target & range gun. When you get into 41-44-45 cal if you handload they are pretty equal in cost, the 357 a liittle less. My self I like the blue/ P&R era S&Ws. In fact I have almost all S&Ws from 34s to 29s and in DAs have gotten rid of everything else except one Colt. The Rugers are nice guns but have never
equaled the S&Ws out of the box.
Old March 18, 2019, 03:47 PM   #31
Joe L.

Looks like most opinions match my own. I have experience with the Ruger single action, the Ruger GP-100, and the S&W K-frame......all have been wonderful. I also have experience with .357 and .44 mags.....again, both are wonderful.

If forced to choose, I'd go .357 mag, and a K-frame S&W.
Old March 18, 2019, 04:50 PM   #32
DavidAGO

You cannot go wrong with an L frame S&W or a GP100 Ruger, I own both, love to shoot both. You cannot go wrong with .357. Or a .44, or a.45. Especially being a reloader just about any caliber you choose would be right. I own a few modern revolvers. If I were to have to pare down to one revolver I could not.

If I had to pare down to two revolvers, I could. One would be a 6" GP100. The other would be a S&W model 57, pinned and recessed, 6" barrel. I have .44 magnum revolvers, I just love the .41 better. And the N frame fits my hand well. And being a reloader it would not come with a significant financial penalty.

David