The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old March 16, 2019, 09:53 AM   #1
kymasabe

Hey AR guru's, I need advice on config. and optic.

So, I'm down to one AR, and it has to serve multipurpose role: home defense, range use, occasional hog hunt.
I've built/assembled dozens of AR's, and recently have been appreciating the simplicity and light weight of the M4gery.

What I have is my Ballistic Advantage build: Ballistic enhanced receiver set, B.A. Hanson barrel 16 inch, midlength, with a 12 inch Aero Atlas S-One freefloat handguard. I love the gun, build quality is better than anything else I've owned. But, it's the most front-heavy gun I've owned. It just doesn't feel balanced to me.

I'm trying to decide if I should just put Magpul MBUS front and rear on the thing, and drop on a Nikon P223 scope, 3x32, (I'm on a budget, can't afford fancy glass), and leave the gun as is and just suck it up and get used to the added weight...OR...tear down the upper and send it to ADCO to have an A2 front sight drilled and pinned in place and install a drop in handguard in the hopes that it saves some weight and makes the gun a little less heavy in front. If I DO go to an A2 front sight again, then my Sig Romeo4c has a home again.

I can't afford multiple AR's right now or in the foreseeable future so...this one has to do it all. What config and sight/scope/red dot set up do you suggest ? You think it's worth the gamble to install an A2 front sight ? Or does that seem like a step backwards ?

Last edited by kymasabe; March 16, 2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old March 16, 2019, 11:46 AM   #2
9x19

I have an even dozen AR pattern guns, just to avoid the BIG questions, like those you're asking.

Good luck.
Old March 17, 2019, 08:16 AM   #3
Mobuck

If 2, 3, or 4 ounces "out front" is a deal breaker, you probably just need to reconsider your use parameters.
Old March 17, 2019, 09:29 AM   #4
precision_shooter

Maybe I missed it, can you add a front sight now to your gas block?
If so, I’d just throw on some flip up sights of your choice, add a Vortex Spitfire (non-magnified or fixed 3x, your choice) then call it done. You notice it’s front heavy now because you are looking for it. If/when it comes time to use the gun for any of it’s intended purposes, you won’t notice balance, or weight, or anything else. Set it up, get familiar with the setup, then everything will become familiar and these questions will go away...
"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson, 1776