The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old August 31, 2001, 08:31 PM   #1
DOCSpanky

Short barreled auto in IDPA!

How effective will a short auto be in IDPA?

3.27" is the tube length of my PT-145. It packs a full 10+1 so I don't think I'll run into capacity problems if I understand the strings properly. Stock competition is what I am looking for.

I am looking forward to my first IDPA match in a few weeks. I would also enjoy trying an IPSC forum before I decide which direction to run.

Does IDPA require magazine holsters, or can those of us on a budget use a good ole pocket till we can find the funds for mag holders?

The reason I'm leaning toward IDPA is that I can't find a IPSC club in the Tampa, FL area!

Does IDPA require flat point bullets or is that IPSC?

Should I use the lightest bullet I can find or would a 230 be ok? I am not recoil sensitive when it comes to handguns, but 20+ years of tennis left me with shoulder pain with lots of heavy rifle and shotgun action.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but I wanna do this right

I am looking forward to having a great time.
Old August 31, 2001, 10:22 PM   #2
Ranger Grant

I shoot stock service pistol with my Glock 30 with no problems. There is no "bullet" shape requirement. Shoot what will function reliably in the gun, and won't bother your pre-existing injures.
As long as your rounds meet the minimum power factor for the division you shoot in you'll be fine(125 for Stock Service Pistol, Enhanced Service Pistol, & Stock Service Revolver; 165 for Custom Defensive Pistol). You will need mag carriers. If you can't get hold of any before the match, go anyway! Someone there will let you borrow some. For a better idea of the IDPA rules check out www.idpa.com. Remember, HAVE FUN
Old September 1, 2001, 10:07 AM   #3
KP95DAO

DOC,

Eleven years ago, when I started shooting "combat" style matches, I was using a Star PD and did alright. It would not be competitive with it's six round mag but you don't have that problem. Make sure you have three mags.
Anyway, you will have found everything else at the IDPA website. Good luck.
Old September 1, 2001, 07:33 PM   #4
Singlestack

Doc, I have never shot IDPA but I love IPSC. Here is a link to a club in the Tampa area.

http://www.tbpc.org/

You can look here for other clubs in Fl.

http://uspsa-area6.com/fl.htm

The USPSA page is

http://www.uspsa.org/

Have fun!

John
Old September 2, 2001, 01:22 AM   #5
9x45

The question is not how effective the gun will be, but rather how effective you will be shooting in either IDPA or IPSC. There is no advantage in shooting a .45acp in either forum. The .45acp is too slow, and has too much time in recoil. For IDPA, shoot a 9mm, for IPSC, shoot the 40S&W(so you make major). You will need mag pouches in either, just more in IPSC. If you can afford the gun you mention, then a mag pouch is nothing.
Old September 2, 2001, 09:46 AM   #6
Double Naught Spy

9x45 brings up some good points. Are you wanting to shoot IDPA as a means of drilling under pressure with your carry weapon or are you interested in winning competitions. If that is your carry gun and you want to drill under pressure, the compete with your carry ammo.

One of the nice things about short barreled guns is that they tend to be lighter and can be drawn and brought to bear on target a little quicker than longer and heavier guns. The bad side is that the gun will be more affected by recoil and so your follow-up shots might not be as quick. Also, the shorter sight radius means that it is very easy to get off target. If your front sight moves 1/64 of an inch to one side while shooting, on a short sight radius gun that error will be magnified more than if you have the same 1/64 movement on a gun with a longer sight radius. For close range shooting typical of most IDPA matches, that should not be a significant problem.
Old September 3, 2001, 06:09 PM   #7
DOCSpanky

After much question asking and nashing of teeth, I have decided to go with the Taurus PT-145. I have NEVER been one to "GO WITH THE FLOW", thus my owning; Marlin 22's instead of a 10/22, Browning A-Bolt instead of a Remington, and shooting 20 guage instead of 12 with all clay sports.

The Taurus has met rave reviews, and it was comfortable when I got my hands on it. Now if I can find a gunshop that will order the new setup with 3 mags and nightsights from the factory?

Talk about a IDPA gun in a box! And I will not have to struggle to get the power factor (i.e. .357sig)! Enough mags to run any string of fire, and nights sights for round the house duty! Ammo is cheap to buy, and cheaper to reload.