The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old November 6, 2005, 09:31 PM   #1
hoosierdaddy

Gem-Tech, AAC or ???

With a litle luck I should have my latest Form 4 approved by the end of the year, hopefully sooner. What is the best suppressor for a FA full size Uzi? I've been over at Silencer tests and arfcom but I can't seem to get a clear winner. I'm looking for as quiet as I can make an Uzi but it needs to be up to long term FA. Any thoughts? I think I have worked a deal on a Gem-tech Mossad for $525. I can't seem to get the AAC Avenger that low. But I'm not wanting to make the decesion on $75.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old November 6, 2005, 10:45 PM   #2
CQBArms

I really like most of the AAC and I'm a pretty big fan of the AAC for the fact of the barrel nut system is not made of aluminum.

That being said I have a gem-tech and the thing is pretty swift...either one is going to be good.
Old November 7, 2005, 06:23 AM   #3
Benton

This is always a hard subject on which to get clear advice. You may have many people telling you their opinion of the best suppressor for a particular firearm. Oddly, that usually turns out to be the one they happen to own or the only one with which they have experience.

I think the availability of great products from all the leading suppressor companies (e.g. Gemtech, AAC, Soundtech, AWC & SWR) makes the decision difficult. They all make comparable cans, it seems, despite the near feuds between some of the individual makers' fans.

For my Uzi subgun, I ended up with an AWC MK9 and have been very happy with it. It is not what I intended to get, however. I went to my dealer to purchase an AAC Avenger, having heard one previously and having been pleased with an AAC Scarab I already owned. My dealer had a used AWC can for sale at nearly half the cost of the new AAC and suggested it as a fine alternative at a better value. I was leary at first but went with his recommendation on the MK9. It was an excellent choice as it turns out. I've gotten to shoot it alongside the AAC Avenger on another Uzi and honestly prefer the lower tone of my can. Even so, if I had to pay the much higher price asked by AWC for a brand-new MK9, I would go with the Avenger - the difference in sound quality is not that great. That said, I think you are right not to let a modest price difference keep you from a suppressor you will be pleased with. No one ever seems to be happy with the lowest cost (such as Coastal) silencers. Resale on suppressors is low (I don't know why with the good service provided by the big makers. This was to my benefit in this case, however), so you don't get to trade them around easily if you are dissatisfied with the design you have.

That's not much in the way of helpful advice, perhaps. I think you are right to be looking at the quality brands and am more than certain you will enjoy shooting that Uzi suppressed. I don't use mine any other way.

By the way, I notice you list an AAC Cyclone among your firearms. I'm thinking about one of those or an SWR Omega but am unsure how much of a joy suppressors are on a high-power rifle. My only shooting is with rimfire, subguns, and pistols. I'd have to buy a rifle also, so I'm wondering if I'd be getting big time enjoyment to match the big time dollars. Thanks for any insight.
Old November 7, 2005, 08:23 AM   #4
hoosierdaddy

The Cyclone is one of my favorite cans. I bought a Gem-tech M4=96D as my first NFA and really don't think it was the best money spent. 223 just doesn't suppress as well as I'd like.

The Cyclone goes on my 300 Whisper upper, AR-10 and 308 bolt action rifles. It's also easier to find, or load, sub-sonic 308 that 223. I just bought an LTR in 223 that I'm sending off to Phil Dater to have a bilock installed on. Hopefully I'll like the LTR suppressed more than an AR.

Getting back to the Cyclone, it's well made and quiet but the biggest thing is the ability to use it on several rifles. I'm looking into building a 260 Rem long range rifle with GA Precision and George already has spect out having it threaded to work with the Cyclone. It may not be optimally quiet but it should still be hearing safe. My brother is using his Cyclone on his LTR 308, AR-10T and an AR-10 upper in 243.

If I were doing it all over again I would skip the 223 can and put the money into a Cyclone.