The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 4, 2019, 02:53 PM   #1

Primers for 6mm ppc & 250 sav

I have been using Federal # 215 Mag Rifle in the 250 Sav and using Federal # 205 match primers in the 6mm ppc. I am now out of primers and can't find anymore. Every place I look its the same we are out or we don't stock them. Any ideas on where to look in Niagara region Ont. Canada ? Perhaps I should move onto another brand any suggestions ? 455
Old January 4, 2019, 03:13 PM   #2
hounddawg

whats Hazmat like in Canada? 15 seconds on Google found a Canadian Reloading Supplies site has them

https://x-reload.com/reloading-compo....html?brand=10

while out on Google I also queried Niagra NY reloading supplies and came up with this list

https://www.yellowpages.com/niagara-...ading-supplies
Old January 4, 2019, 03:26 PM   #3
std7mag

Hounddawg,
Primers is one of those things that you do NOT want to get caught at the border crossing with!!!

I know of the Bass Pro Shop off the QEW, but if i remember correctly there is one shop in Toronto and i think one in either Brampton or Mississauga???

Relatives live in Orangeville.

"Januarary 6th insurrection".
Funny, I didn't see a single piece of rope...
Old January 4, 2019, 03:43 PM   #4

Thank you but this shop is 400 miles from here and out of Province. I have heard of nightmares ordering gun supplies over the net and the shipping regs can be very old fashioned. I was thinking about the Buffalo shops, short drive. Will get Border info and regs first thanks 455
Old January 4, 2019, 03:45 PM   #5

Bass pro no got, first place I tried. 455
Old January 6, 2019, 09:44 AM   #6

6mm ppc and 250 Sav Primers

Thanks for the replies to my post. I went to Buffalo NY to the Centre gun shop managed to get the Fed 215 mag Match primers and Cablaes down the road on Walden had the 205 Fed small rifle match primers. No problem at the Border as you are allowed to bring Ammunition, Cartridge components even smokeless rifle powder back to Canada from the U.S. Thanks great forum . 455
Old January 6, 2019, 10:04 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

215M and 205M. Congratulations on finding them. I have merged your answer into the original thread so participants in that thread will receive notification you replied. With the new thread you created, they would not be notified you resolved the problem.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 6, 2019, 11:04 AM   #8
hounddawg

Quote:

Hounddawg,
Primers is one of those things that you do NOT want to get caught at the border crossing with
why? unless you have more than 5K it is perfectly legal

https://www.nrcan.gc.ca/explosives/importation/9907

Now I don't think US stores are supposed to sell them to non citizens but if you can find someone to sell them you are perfectly fine once you reach the border
Old January 6, 2019, 03:33 PM   #9
Unclenick
Staff

A nonimmigrant visitor (except people here for hunting or training or with dignitary status) has to be in the country legally for at least 180 days before they can apply for an exemption from the gun and ammunition purchasing prohibitions on them. But I am unaware of them being required to get an exemption to purchase reloading components. At least, I didn't spot one in as much of the law as I read. Perhaps someone else will tell us otherwise and provide a link that proves it.

As far as carrying primers and powder or other reloading supplies into Canada, it may be different for an American Citizen to do it than for a Canadian citizen to do it. I notice the personal use regulation in that link requires the components be kept in the possession of the person bringing them in. So it would be one thing for a Canadian citizen to bring in a slip of 5,000 primers, but it looks to me, from the way it is worded, that an American could not bring them in for a friend or family members living there. That may be what std7mag has in mind.
Old January 6, 2019, 04:06 PM   #10
hounddawg

I thought the thread was by a Canadian just across the border needing some Fed primers not about an American taking him some? Anyway any US citizen who can legally cross can cross with with firearms and ammo as long as they declare the firearm and ammo at the border and the firearms and ammo are legal to own in Canada. No pistols and some restrictions on rifles apply but up to three rifles or shotguns that are legal to own in Canada by Canadian citizens can be taken.

The only question is can a NY retailer sell reloading components to a non US citizen. Cuomo and the legislature have some pretty strict gun laws in NY
Old January 6, 2019, 06:26 PM   #11
Unclenick
Staff

It is about that. But std7mag thought you couldn't carry primers across the border to Canada and I'm suggesting he may be right that it's a problem for Americans to take them to Canada as temporary visitors when it is not a problem for a Canadian coming here to take home with him (as long as he stays to the limits in the table at the end of that link you provided).
Old January 6, 2019, 06:42 PM   #12
hounddawg

near as I can tell the Canadians will let you bring them in but the US does not want you to take them across. Don't get caught on the way to the border or the US will bust you on export violations but once you reach the Canadian border you are golden for up to 500 rounds of hunting ammunition, 1000 rounds of sporting ammunition, 5000 primers, 15lbs of smokeless powder and 8lbs of black powder. weird laws
Old January 6, 2019, 07:33 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

A friend of mine who used to work in export brokering for one of the major shipping companies said a member of his office witnessed two federal agents get into a fistfight over whose agency had the final governing authority in a firearms export matter. Something like four or five different agencies claimed to be the final authority in arms, ammunition, parts, components and shooting accessories export policy at the time (maybe six to eight years ago). I don't know if that's been settled or if they just have redundant and additional hoops for folks to jump through, but you are right, the export restrictions are significant. Heaven forbid some sneaky foreigner should get hold of a rifle scope with a disapproved reticule. Most arms regulations are written by people who don't have any experience shooting them. Perhaps the agency heads should be sent out to get experience on the field of honor. Whoever is left standing would get to make the rules and take over the other agencies.
Old January 6, 2019, 08:13 PM   #14
hounddawg

just follow the money in taxes and tariffs. Guess if I ever go to Canada to shoot I will be using Canadian bought ammo. Either that or pack a arbor press, dies, brass and bullets and have to check on the bullets lol since I don't hunt anymore slim chances on that ever happening
Old January 6, 2019, 09:30 PM   #15
std7mag

I'm amazed you can cross the border with ammo, primers, and or powder!!
They had a small coniption over a carton of cigarettes...

Old January 6, 2019, 09:43 PM   #16
Unclenick
Staff

Well, we know a Canadian can do it. You may still be right about an American not being allowed to do it.

Hey, dude, don't you know that cigarettes can kill you even if you don't point them at yourself? No wonder they're concerned about that and your sanity. If you don't pay the extra $2 a pack in taxes, it might indicate you are irrational and then your demise may even happen sooner rather than later! I mean, think about it. Someone not wanting to pay the extra tax? Is that an indication of some kind of disorder or what?
Old January 7, 2019, 12:36 PM   #17
T. O'Heir

"...you are allowed to bring Ammunition, Cartridge components even smokeless rifle powder back to Canada from the U.S..." Not according to U.S. Federal law. You got lucky, this time. U.S. Federal law does not allow you to be in possession of loaded ammo as a non-immigrant alien, unless you're there to hunt or shoot a match with the ATF permit. Nor can you export components or ammo without their State Dept. export permit that you cannot get. The Buffalo Gun Center is known for dealing with that though.
It's not a question of if you get caught, it's when. U.S. Homeland Security is known for doing random checks of exiting Canadian vehicles too. You will be arrested and put on their list that denies you entry to the U.S. ever again.
I believe a U.S. citizen just gets arrested and charged with illegally exporting ITAR stuff.
"...using Canadian bought ammo..." You can bring in ammo as long as you have our licence to have a firearm in the first place. That part is less fuss than one would think too.
Old January 14, 2019, 02:07 PM   #18

I am the Canadian who bought the primers in the U.S. and brought them back to Canada thru the border in Buffalo NY. I got my ducks in a row before I went to make the purchase.
I went to the border the day before the purchase and asked them about what I intended to do. Three agents worked on my request on their computers. After about 10 minutes they unanimously agreed it was alright. The next day I went and made the purchase and had a nice discussion at the border about the primers and hand loading in general. 455
Old January 14, 2019, 09:13 PM   #19
std7mag

I believe TO was not refering to the Canadian Border Service having an issue with it.
Things like that are under the U.S. State Dept. for exporting said items.
I know there is an issue with optics. ( rifle scopes, red dots, range finders, heck even binoculars).
IF the U.S. government found you exporting FROM the U.S. there may be some very serious consequences.

Old January 15, 2019, 09:43 AM   #20

I would have thought that the American border agent would have been alerted to this issue and told me there and then that I could not import these items. As responsible forum users we need to get the facts not conjecture or he said I said scenarios to protect future importers. 455